Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Sgt Bergdahl Prisoner Exchange

This is a discussion on Sgt Bergdahl Prisoner Exchange within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. What're your thoughts? Mine go along with Chief Warrant Officer Jim Wright Think about it real hard, especially if you’re

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Vetustior Humo

What're your thoughts?

Mine go along with Chief Warrant Officer Jim Wright

Quote:
Think about it real hard, especially if you’re the parent of a soldier-age son or daughter.

And then be glad, goddamned glad, that you have a president who was willing to do what it takes to get Bowe Bergdahl home.

Dead or alive, we get our people home, whatever the cost, that’s the one promise that must never be broken.

The day we forget that, the day the fear of “what will the terrorists think” becomes more important to us than that sacred obligation, that’s the day America dies.

Whether or not Bowe Bergdahl is a hero or a deserter or just a hapless fool who screwed up under the enormous pressures of war, he’s still an American.

He’s one of ours and and there’s only one thing to say:

Welcome home, Soldier.

Welcome home.
LINK
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Welcome home, gain your strength back soon.

You'll need it for your court martial for deserting your troops.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post

Not until 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Gone | Not Forgotten

Quote:

Spot on.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

And all you guys know all the facts already?
Gee they wont have to hold him for questioning long then!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Many of the troops in his group had said that he walked off. He left a note saying he was leaving.

There aren't many (if any) cases where the taliban take prisoners, usually a beheading is what happens to any of our soldiers.

The situation doesn't seem straight forward.

And I think a 5 to 1 trade was a bad decision. Especially who they traded. Top taliban leaders. The worst of the worst.

There is an agenda going on here. If you get rid of the worst offenders and only have mid and low level people at gitmo, then it makes it easier to just let them go to.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Or, he was planted with the Taliban as a deserter and released, on proviso they don't kill him. The Americans would release 5 top level Taliban in exchange.
As you said there is an agenda here, POW's are usually killed by the Taliban.
He may give some useful insight into their whereabouts and operations.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

It's more likely he is a taliban sympathizer and that's why he is alive. His father's tweets seem to show the same.

It is always possible it is a spy vs spy thing. But with that you would usually get updates more than once every 5 years at a cost of 5 top taliban officials.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:14 AM   #9

First and foremost, you do not negotiate with terrorists, I swear on my life that no true warrior would want that...

Second, the code of conduct, of which he failed miserably at on all levels...

Third, he is a deserter, he abandoned his post not properly relieved of duty and got better men than him killed in the search.

He is a failure as a soldier, an American, and a human being and deserves no sympathy from the same.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Quote:
And I think a 5 to 1 trade was a bad decision. Especially who they traded. Top taliban leaders. The worst of the worst.
Didn't Reagan once trade 1,500 missiles for a small group of soldiers?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

I saw on the news last night where Diane Finestein was angry that the White House did not contact anybody in Congress about this. White House officials have called this an oversight. "Sorry I was driving drunk officer. It was an oversight on my part".

This is where HRC will separate herself from BHO. She will use it to take light off of Benghazi and she can also use it to bag on what she does not like about Obamacare.

Could this be to Obama what Willie Brown was to Dukakis? I guarantee if any of the 5 act out towards the U.S., BHO will be the third president to face an impeachment trial
Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Army to investigate desertion claims against Bergdahl: Gen. Martin Dempsey

Quote:
Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Tuesday the Army may still pursue an investigation into the conduct of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was recently freed after nearly five years of being held captive in Afghanistan.

Gen. Dempsey told The Associated Press that U.S. military leaders “have been accused of looking away from misconduct” but said “it’s premature” to assume they would do so in Sgt. Bergdahl’s case
Army to investigate desertion claims against Bergdahl: Gen. Martin Dempsey - Washington Times

Old 06-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Investigate, try, convict, execute - in that order! As one who served I have no sympathy for deserters. So, we traded FIVE allegedly TOP LEVEL TERRORISTS for ONE deserter so we can execute him under the UCMJ?? W-D-F Oblunder??
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal on Wednesday urged Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s critics not to “judge” him until all the facts are in and sharply defended the extensive and risky search efforts that claimed the lives of some of his fellow soldiers.

“We did a huge number of operations to try to stop the Taliban from being able to move him across the border into Pakistan,” McChrystal told Yahoo News in an exclusive interview. “And we made a great effort and put a lot of people at risk in doing that, but that’s what you should do. That’s what soldiers do for each other.”
Quote:
“We’re going to have to wait and talk to Sgt. Bergdahl now and get his side of the story,” he said. “One of the great things about America is we should not judge until we know the facts. And after we know the facts, then we should make a mature judgment on how we should handle it.”

Asked whether he would have made the same prisoner swap, McChrystal replied: “We don’t leave Americans behind. That’s unequivocal.”

“There will be a lot of discussion on whether the mechanism for getting Sgt. Bergdahl back was right — and I’ll leave it to people to argue that,” he added

Shucks . . no one here would rush to judgment would they???

https://news.yahoo.com/mcchrystal-on-...193638795.html

Old 06-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Guilty until proven innocent.....
Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Guilty until proven innocent.....
Not with him... his guilty until proven guilty
Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #17
Automotive Team

Sorry to say this guys, but being ex military ( Navy) I know a little something about standing watch, he walked off his post, in a combat situation that is considered desertion, he left his gear there, that shows intent NOT to return, I have heard he left a note stating he renounced his citizenship ( still gotta confirm that) but if he did leave a note in that place it would make him at best a traitor, at worst a enemy combatant, Either way after dealing with muslim extremists between 1985 and 1999, I have YET to see ANY that take military prisoners, they ( as a general rule) kill them on sight. SO, that raises MANY questions with me, BUT after seeing his father on tv, on line and in the news papers I can honestly say that obama didn't release 5 muslims, he released 6, 5 in Gitmo, 1 in Afganistan
Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #18
Gone | Not Forgotten

His home town has also called off there Welcome Home party, for him. Just too many questions in their mind.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #19
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

And how does he forget English? Most foreign born people I know still think in their native tongue.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Exactly why Bergdahl left is subject to intense scrutiny. But accounts by two Taliban sources as well as several U.S. officials and fellow soldiers raise doubt over media reports that he had sought to join the Taliban, and over suggestions that the deaths later that year of six soldiers in his battalion were related to the search for him.
Quote:
While many questions remain, a Reuters reconstruction of his disappearance indicates that at the time when Bergdahl’s six comrades in the 1st Battalion of the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment were killed in August and September 2009, his fallen comrades were on other missions like securing the Afghan elections and, according to one U.S. military official, the period of intensive ground searches had already ended.

But several soldiers in his unit say the quest to locate him never really ended, and that it was an element of every mission they undertook, prompting some to blame the deaths on him.
Quote:
Bergdahl did not show any interest in converting to Islam or joining the Taliban during those early weeks of his captivity, the commander said.
U.S. deaths in Afghanistan may have only tenuous link to Bergdahl | Reuters

Closed Thread