Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Russia says wants Syria elections, ready to help Free Syrian Army

This is a discussion on Russia says wants Syria elections, ready to help Free Syrian Army within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the Kremlin wanted Syria to prepare for parliamentary and presidential elections, as Moscow intensified

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the Kremlin wanted Syria to prepare for parliamentary and presidential elections, as Moscow intensified its drive to convert its increased clout with Damascus into a political settlement.

In comments which mark a shift in Russia's position, he also said that Russia's airforce, which has been bombing Islamist militants in Syria since Sept. 30, would be ready to help Western-backed Free Syrian Army rebels, if it knew where they were.

The Kremlin, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's strongest foreign ally, has spoken broadly about the need for elections in Syria before. But Lavrov's comments were its most specific call for political renewal yet and came just days after a surprise visit by Assad to Moscow.

"External players can not decide anything for the Syrians. We must force them to come up with a plan for their country where the interests of every religious, ethnic and political group will be well protected," Lavrov told Russian state TV in an interview broadcast on Saturday.

"They need to prepare for both parliamentary and presidential elections."

Lavrov on Saturday phoned U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry to discuss organizing talks between the Syrian government and opposition, the Russian foreign ministry said. It said the two men had spoken of the need to tap the potential of other countries in the region to push the political process forward.
With our history in the area ( Invade and create chaos ), the Russians likely stand a much better chance of coming up with a political solution ( versus a military one ) and bringing some semblance of order to Syria. Sadly, our track record is not one that would inspire confidence

Russia says wants Syria elections, ready to help Free Syrian Army | Reuters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread