Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Rick W. Perry Indicted

This is a discussion on Rick W. Perry Indicted within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Gov. Rick Perry was indicted on two felony counts for abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Gov. Rick Perry was indicted on two felony counts for abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant late Friday by a Travis County grand jury.

The case stems from Perry’s vetoing the $7.5 million biennial funding for the Travis County Public Integrity Unit last year. He threatened to withhold the money unless District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg resigned.

Perry made it clear in public and through emissaries that he didn’t believe the state should fund an office headed by someone who had lost the public’s trust. He pointed to Lehmberg’s April 2013 arrest for drunk driving, which included her video-taped, belligerent conduct while being booked into the jail.

At the time, the Public Integrity Unit, which investigates and prosecutes public corruption and malfeasance, was examining one of Perry’s signature projects. If Lehmberg had resigned, Perry would have appointed her replacement.
Our lil' Aggie Cheerleader makes news again! !

Rick Perry indicted on two felonies | Dallas Morning News

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Vetustior Humo

Ah Texas - trying to keep up with Florida for wacko politics - giving them a pretty good race.

The amazing part to me is that Austin is allowed to exist at all. I'd have thought the legislature would have found some way of dissolving it long before now.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Gerrymandering to the contrary, more and more of Texas is returning to the Democratic Party.

Me and lil' Rickey started there!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

There may be hope for Texas yet. I watched a program about Ann Richards (Dem) who did a remarkable job during her single term as governor. Typical conservative smear campaign got "W" elected in the next election.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

. . . Carl Rove at this best! !

All of the major cities here are trending Dem . . I suspect they are as tired of the Tea Party as I am . . even some of the smaller population centers went Dem in the last election

Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I knew it was only a question of time until Perry stepped in it. Texas has a penchant for electing Governors of extremely low intelligence and it looks like this one is riding a train into the sunset.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

. . but . . He was a really good Cheerleader!

Old 08-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Well then let him go do that again, assuming he can remember what to do?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Anyone with 13 year old girls in the house will recognize Rickie's devastating response . .

Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is abuse of power

" O yeah . . well you are too . . "

"We do not settle political differences in the courts in this country" . . to which, Speaker of the House, Ted Cruz responded ". . wait up Rickie . . let's not go that far! ! "

Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment, is no longer permitted to carry a concealed handgun after being slapped with a felony indictment for alleged abuse of power, according to state law. Further, federal law also apparently prohibits the governor from purchasing firearms or ammunition.

The Austin American-Statesman brings up the federal law referred to as 18 USC 922(n):

“It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person (1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.”

Perry, who previously claimed he shot a coyote with a concealed firearm while jogging in 2010, is supposed to have his state-issued concealed carry license revoked if he still has one — at least until his case is concluded.
But . . he can still carry his cheerleading megaphone! ! All is not lost!

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Is No Longer Permitted to Carry a Concealed Handgun, Buy Guns or Ammo — Here’s Why | TheBlaze.com

Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

I tend to just stay out of politics as I've found that you can neither speak rationally with a Democrat nor a Republican where their politics are concerned. I don't know much about the fats of this case except what has been given in the few articles I've read but this whole thing smells a bit of a Democrat witch hunt geared to take a potential Republican presidential candidate out of the running.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Texas politics is even crazier than most . . No doubt It's local politics . . the best thing that could happen nationally for the Dems would be little W on the ticket . . letting him drag the party down would be the smart thing for them to do.

Like all the large cities in Texas, Austin is heavily Dem so there is little doubt that politics plays a large role . . but the case was referred to Grand Jury and they recommended the indictment, so there is likely at leas some smoke. He did go after the office that was investigating him for other offenses

Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Regardless of the outcome, this will smear his 2016 run. To be honest, I don't want him to run anyways.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Gracious, most comments sound like a bunch of liberal democrats....

depressing! - I guess all of you want bo as your king.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
I guess all of you want bo as your king.
Something tells me that POTUS is unlikely to run for Governor of Texas

Old 11-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Judge refuses to toss Gov. Rick Perry indictments on technicalities

Quote:
A Texas judge refused on Tuesday to quash on technicalities two criminal felony indictments for abuse of power against Gov. Rick Perry, ruling that the potentially embarrassing case against the possible 2016 presidential hopeful should proceed.

The governor's defense team had sought to have the matter thrown out, arguing that the special prosecutor, Michael McCrum, wasn't properly sworn in and some paperwork wasn't correctly filed. But a written ruling from District Judge Bert Richardson, who like Perry is a Republican, sided with McCrum.

"This court concludes that Mr. McCrum's authority was not voided by procedural irregularities," Richardson wrote.
Rumor has it that lil' W threatened to take back his cheerleading outfit fro0m the Aggie museum . .

Judge refuses to toss Gov. Rick Perry indictments on technicalities | abc13.com

Old 01-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
A Texas judge on Tuesday refused to dismiss a felony abuse-of-power case against former Gov. Rick Perry on constitutional grounds, ruling that criminal charges against the possible 2016 presidential candidate should stand.

District Judge Bert Richardson, who like Perry is a Republican, rejected calls from Perry's defense team to toss the case because its client was acting within his rights as chief executive of America's second-most populous state when he publicly threatened, then carried out, a 2013 veto of state funding for public corruption prosecutors.

Richardson wrote that, "Texas law clearly precludes a trial court from making a pretrial determination regarding the constitutionality of a state penal or criminal procedural statute as the statue applies to a particular defendant
Bold mine

Said Wubbya Jr. . . . "Waaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Judge refuses to toss Perry case on constitutional grounds

Old 01-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post

Bold mine

Said Wubbya Jr. . . . "Waaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Judge refuses to toss Perry case on constitutional grounds
The lawyer is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing... how is that whining?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post
The lawyer is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing... how is that whining?
Twern't the lawyer whining . . it was lil Dubbya hisself

Raising megaphone to mouth . . " Gimme a W . . Gimme an A . . Gimme a dozen more A's . .

Whats dat spell ? ? . . Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Closed Thread