Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Republicans Win the Senate - Now What?

This is a discussion on Republicans Win the Senate - Now What? within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Perhaps a bit premature but it looks as if the Rep's will win control of both houses of Congress next

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Vetustior Humo

Perhaps a bit premature but it looks as if the Rep's will win control of both houses of Congress next week. LINK

So the good news is: You won.
The bad news is: Now you have to govern.

Do you think they can?
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
Perhaps a bit premature but it looks as if the Rep's will win control of both houses of Congress next week. LINK

Do you think they can?

It will take a day or two to free up the 300+ bills passed in the House with bipartisanship support sitting on Harry Reid's desk. The "do-nothing" Congress is a name invented by the left to place blame...nothing more.
If you want to place blame...see Harry Reid.

https://www.congress.gov/congression...rticle/H6804-1
Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Troubled

To answer the question....yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:

Do you think they can?
If they submit passed bills after bills and Obama vetos them, will the blame still fall on the republicans?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:

Do you think they can?
The second part is easier to answer than the first. . If we win, I believe the immaturity and extremists behavior will be mostly a thing of the past. With control of both houses comes a responsibility that does not exist when you are the vocal minority whining and throwing rocks at the other side. Republicans can no longer pass nonsensical legislation that they know is doomed, just to pacify the extremists. Cruz will likely continue to set his hair on fire but this time around, he will be fighting with Republicans.

The more difficult part is attaining that control . . Two years ago Republicans faced the most vulnerable sitting POTUS since Herbert Hoover, with their polls telling them it was a walk in and the Tea Party blew it for them.

This time around, history would indicate that the Republicans should have a cakewalk with every previous sitting party being soundly defeated in the last election of its' term . . but look at how close this one is running.

Instead of runaway elections the Party has a Army of Lawyers lined up to litigate what looks to be a squeaker at best. So far, the Tea Party, has been subdued, but they have a incredible flare for snatching Defeat out of the jaws of Victory. If they can just continue to hide out we may have a chance! History is clearly on our side!

If we can take the Senate, it will be an audition for 2016 with a chance to show that they can develop new ideas and can be trusted to pilot the ship. Continue with the obstructionism and nonsense they have throwing out the last 6 years, and we will be looking at another 2008, where the party returns to irrelevance. If we can show the country that the Tea Party infection has been cured, we just might have a chance . .

Old 11-03-2014, 05:05 AM   #6
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Tomorrow will tell. Republican sweep is predicted for my state.

I have complete confidence that the Republicans can run this country.......right back into the ditch we just climbed out of.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Troubled

Nah...Dodd and Frank both retired.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Neither Dodd or Frank cut taxes and immediately committed the country to the longest and most expensive Nation Building initiative since WWII

"this is the end of major combat operations in Iraq"
George W. Bush 2003

Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Troubled

They sure were complicit in helping the crash of 2008.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

it will be business as usual.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
it will be business as usual.
I expect you are right . . . now instead of being Republican Party fighting Democrat party, it will be Tea Party fighting Republican Party . .

Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadsden View Post
They sure were complicit in helping the crash of 2008.
Cannot wait to hear how legislation passed in 2010 contributed to the Bush Recession of 2007 . .

Old 11-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Just got in from voting . . polling places had short lines, but I was there early, before folks get off work. Most contentious item on the ballot here is the local school bond that includes money for a new football stadium.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
Vetustior Humo

Big turnout here (for a non-presidential year). I was # 2003 at 6:00 PM - we have about 4000 registered voters in the precinct. And the place was crowded when I left. Mrs. yustr works as a name checker and said it was steady all day. Most unusual. (BTW: if you show up without ID they make you fill out an affidavit that says you're who you say you are and hand you a ballot.)

Our Dem Congressman will win in a landslide. Not sure about the gov's race. Probably will be close.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Looks like our 748 million bond proposal passed . . Overwhelmingly. I thought the stadium might bring it down, but does not look like it

This one is not quite as much of a "stadium-mahal" as the first one . . Only 58 million

Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #16

Wa is all absentee now... but this year was easy for me... I voted for Democrats and Republicans... as long as they weren't incumbents I didn't care

Voted yes on one gun control initiative and no on another, kept the Marijuana tax in place while voting against a property tax increase
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

I pretty much took the same approach, except that Tea Party favorites did not get a vote

Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #18
Troubled

I watched all night hoping the government shutdown wouldn't shut out the party, as was previously expected. I only heard it mentioned once, by a liberal pundit that said it may have even turned out to be a positive for them. Looks like he may have been right.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

Who knows . . without that black mark we might have been able to have a veto proof majority . . as it is now, the Republicans will have to prove they can be for something and not just against anything POTUS is for or we'll have another 2008 on our hands.

It will be interesting to see if they can finally become responsible adults . . and that will depend on Boehner and McConnell skills at keeping the Tea Party at bay.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #20
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Made the 600' walk to the polling station......I was next in line. There was a steady stream of voters but they have a sufficient number of machines.....and I went at 2PM hoping to avoid rush times.

Township levy passed where my son works and his job was not put in jeopardy.