Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Q2 Economic News

This is a discussion on Q2 Economic News within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Fewer than 300,000 American workers filed applications for unemployment benefits for the sixth consecutive week, pointing to labor-market strength even

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Fewer than 300,000 American workers filed applications for unemployment benefits for the sixth consecutive week, pointing to labor-market strength even as hiring cooled last month.
Quote:
The four-week average of claims, a less-volatile measure than the weekly figure, was little changed at 282,750 compared with an almost 15-year low of 282,500 in the prior week.

The number of people continuing to receive jobless benefits dropped by 40,000 to 2.27 million in the week ended April 4, the fewest since December 2000. The unemployment rate among people eligible for benefits held at 1.7 percent. These data are reported with a one-week lag.
Quote:
While job listings have jumped, reaching a 14-year high of 5.1 million in February, hiring has shown signs of slowing from its steady gains over the past year
Jobless Claims in U.S. Hold Below 300,000 for Sixth Week - Bloomberg Business

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The number of Americans filing new claims for jobless benefits rose last week for a third straight week, but the underlying trend continued to point to a solidly improving labor market.

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits increased 1,000 to a seasonally adjusted 295,000 for the week ended April 18, the Labor Department said on Thursday. Claims for the prior week were unrevised.

Economists polled by Reuters had forecast claims slipping to 290,000 last week. A Labor Department analyst said there was nothing unusual in the state-level data.

Claims tend to be volatile around this time of the year because moving holidays like Easter and school spring breaks often throw off the model that the government uses to smooth the data for seasonal fluctuations.

The four-week moving average of claims, considered a better measure of labor market trends as it irons out week-to-week volatility, increased 1,750 last week to 284,500. Claims below 300,000 are associated with a strengthening labor market.
Looks like the Oil Company layoffs are starting to show up in the numbers . .

U.S. jobless claims rise for third straight week | Reuters

Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The economy in the U.S. barely grew in the first quarter, buffeted by slumps in business investment and exports after oil prices plunged and the dollar surged.

Gross domestic product, the volume of all goods and services produced, rose at a 0.2 percent annualized rate after advancing 2.2 percent the prior quarter, Commerce Department data showed Wednesday in Washington. The median forecast of 86 economists surveyed by Bloomberg called for a 1 percent gain. Consumer spending, the biggest part of the economy, rose 1.9 percent, a little better than projected
By golly . . I did not thi8nk they could do it, but look at what this new Legislature pulled off . . . Give Boehner and da boys da clap! !

U.S. Economy StallsÂ*in the First Quarter - Bloomberg Business

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

They sure are doing a 'bang up job' of things. I'd hate to think of what they really could do if they stopped the witch hunts and went to work.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Vetustior Humo

I've always had a problem with using GDP as a measure of economic health. I know it's been used for many years but I don't think it means all that much regarding good or bad progress.

Example: If I buy a bike to ride to work I only spend 10% of what a car costs and what I may spend on extra food is a fraction of what I'd have spent on gasoline. I'm healthier so I'm not using nearly the amount of medical care. I take up less space so the town doesn't have to build a parking garage or widen the roads. But...the GDP takes a hit. If I drove it would go up but would I or the economy be healthier? And (if you really want to push the metaphor) think how much better the economy would be if I got into a wreck. Heck, there'd be repair bills for both me and the car. Insurance companies would have to churn out paper. Maybe I smashed a lamp post that would have to be replaced...etc. But the GDP would skyrocket!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Government spending is another good example . . Most would agree that more government spending is bad . . less is good . . but less government spending results in lower GDP.

Like all measures, it has it's good points and bad points . . but it is a generally accepted measure of economic strength and it is relatively valid over time

Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The number of Americans filing new claims for jobless benefits tumbled to a 15-year low last week and consumer spending rose in March, signs the economy was regaining momentum after stumbling badly in the first quarter.

The economic outlook was brightened further by another report on Thursday showing a solid increase in wages in the first quarter, which should keep the Federal Reserve on track to raise interest rates this year.

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits fell 34,000 to a seasonally adjusted 262,000 for the week ended April 25, the lowest reading since April 2000, the Labor Department said.

It was the eighth straight week that claims remained below 300,000, which is usually associated with a strengthening labor market, suggesting March's moderation in job growth was likely an aberration.
Quote:
Separately, the Commerce Department said consumer spending rose 0.4 percent last month as households stepped up purchases of big-ticket items like automobiles.

The increase followed a 0.2 percent gain in February and indicated that consumer spending picked up momentum at the end of the first quarter, which bodes well for consumption in the April-June period.

While that should boost growth in the second quarter, the rebound in economic activity will likely be curbed by an inventory overhang, a strong dollar and cuts in energy sector investment
U.S. jobless claims at 15-year low; consumer spending rises | Reuters

Old 04-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
Vetustior Humo

But ...but ...what about Obama's job killing <enter any o'l initiative here> bill?

I can hear the reply: Imagine what it would be if Obama hadn't ...
Old 05-08-2015, 05:54 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008 - Bloomberg Business

Old 05-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, indicating the jobs market was on solid footing even as the economy struggles to regain momentum after abruptly slowing in the first quarter.

Other data on Thursday showed that a strong dollar and lower oil prices suppressed producer inflation in April. That together with signs of modest growth early in the second quarter suggest the Federal Reserve will probably not raise interest rates until later in the year.

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits slipped 1,000 to a seasonally adjusted 264,000 for the week ended May 9, the Labor Department said on Thursday, within a whisker of a 15-year low reached two weeks ago.

They have been below 300,000, a threshold associated with a strengthening labor market, for 10 straight weeks. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast claims rising to 275,000.

The four-week moving average of claims, considered a better measure of labor market trends as it irons out week-to-week volatility, fell 7,750 to 271,750 last week. That was the lowest level since April 2000.
Kinda surprising with the oil sector layoffs . . but a great report

Jobless claims near 15-year low; producer prices fall | Reuters

Old 05-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The average number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits over the past four weeks dropped to a 15-year low, a sign the labor market continues to strengthen.

The four-week average for jobless claims decreased to 266,250 in the period ended May 16 from 271,750, a Labor Department report showed Thursday in Washington. The figure corresponds to the week the government surveys employers to calculate the monthly payroll data. On a weekly basis, applications rose by 10,000 to 274,000.

Such a limited pace of dismissals indicates companies are anticipating a pickup in demand for their goods and services in the coming months. More job security that sparks bigger wage gains would help propel consumer confidence and make households feel more comfortable spending.
Quote:
The four-week average of claims, which is less volatile than the weekly figure, was the lowest since April 15, 2000.

Initial jobless claims reflect weekly firings and typically decrease before job growth can accelerate. The four-week average during last month’s payroll survey week was 285,000.

The number of people continuing to receive jobless benefits decreased by 12,000 to 2.21 million in the week ended May 9, the lowest level since November 2000.

In that same period, the unemployment rate among people eligible for benefits declined to 1.6 percent from 1.7 percent the prior week, the report showed.

In spite of the energy companies lay-offs

Jobless Claims in U.S. Fall Over Past Month to 15-Year Low - Bloomberg Business

Old 05-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Q1 has been revised from .2% growth (pathetic) to -.7% (even worse)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-econ...050330978.html
Old 05-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Not too surprising . . after all, the GOP did promise to turn thing around after the elections last year!

Old 05-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Well, it should only take them about 5-6 years to get the ball rolling. Just like this administration says because things were so screwed up by the crash caused buy democrats forcing the banks to make loans to people who can't pay them back.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Who would buy Democrats???

Old 05-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Sorry

BY
Old 06-02-2015, 05:25 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

I see . . You ol' boys have done a bang up job of creating Democrats that I thought maybe you were selling 'Em

Old 06-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Fewer Americans sought unemployment benefits last week, a sign that job cuts remain low as employers are confident enough in the business outlook to hold onto their staffs.

The Labor Department says applications for unemployment aid dropped 8,000 to a seasonally adjusted 276,000. The four-week average, a less volatile figure, ticked up 2,750 to 274,750.

Applications have been below 300,000, a historically low level, for 13 weeks.

Applications are a proxy for layoffs. The small number of people seeking benefits indicates that Americans are enjoying solid job security.

Economists are hopeful that the rock-bottom level of applications is a good sign for the broader job market. They anticipate that the May jobs report, to be released Friday, will show that employers added a solid 227,000 jobs last month, on top of the 223,000 added in April. Analysts also forecast that the unemployment rate will remain 5.4 percent, a seven-year low.
Speaker Cruz allows as how he and the other loony's can turn that around too! ! !

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-une...123321272.html

Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The number of self-employed workers surged by 370,000 in May, according to the U.S. Labor Department's survey of households released Friday. And nearly 1 million workers have gone to work for themselves since just February.

The report is the latest sign that entrepreneurial activity is on the rise. The number of business startups rose in 32 of the 50 U.S. states last year, the Kansas City, Missouri-based Kauffman Foundation reported Thursday. The Kauffman Index of Startup Activity, which is an indicator of new business creation, had the biggest increase in the past two decades.

"It is evidence of a growing do-it-yourself economy," said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ. "The market for self-employed workers is booming and this is a sign of a pickup in entrepreneurial activity."
Seeing a lot of that here . . me included!

The Do-It-Yourself Economy JustÂ*HiredÂ*1 MillionÂ*American Entrepreneurs - Bloomberg Business

Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
U.S. job growth accelerated sharply in May and wages picked up, signs of momentum in the economy that bolster prospects for an interest rate hike in September.

Nonfarm payrolls increased 280,000 last month, the largest gain since December, the Labor Department said on Friday.

While the unemployment rate rose to 5.5 percent from a near seven-year low of 5.4 percent in April that was because more people, likely new college graduates, entered the labor force, indicating confidence in the jobs market.

Payrolls for March and April were revised to show 32,000 more jobs created than previously reported. That together with an eight cent gain in average hourly earnings raises the chances of the Federal Reserve tightening monetary policy this year.
Quote:
Average hourly earnings increased 0.3 percent from the prior month. They were up 2.3 percent from May 2014, exceeding the average gain since the current expansion began six years ago.
Quote:
The agency’s survey of households, used to derive the unemployment rate, showed the participation rate, which indicates the share of working-age people in the labor force, increased to 62.9 percent from 62.8 percent in April.
Quote:
the number of long-term unemployed people dipped once gain, down to 28.6 from 29.0 percent.
Not much to "Yeahbutt" in this report!

Jobs Machine Banishes Winter Woes as U.S. Payrolls Beat Forecast - Bloomberg Business

Closed Thread