Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Protests

This is a discussion on Protests within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Anyone have protests going on in their area in regard to the killing of George Floyd?? We've had protests for

Like Tree78Likes

Old 05-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Anyone have protests going on in their area in regard to the killing of George Floyd?? We've had protests for 3 days in Columbus with plenty of damage. The Ohio National Guard has been activated by the governor and the mayor has set a curfew.

https://www.10tv.com/article/ohio-na...10-pm-2020-may

At least my son is not in the inner city......he's on the outskirts. Duty day is tomorrow but he's pretty far from the action......he'll be out my way (~8 miles from me). I'm ~25 miles from the center of Columbus.
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

All's quiet around here. I lived in the DC area when MLK was assassinated. Things got really bad, particularly in the NW side of town.

EDIT: It looks like things changed in Columbia about 30 miles SW of us;

Columbia’s city center as well as the Vista are under a curfew tonight after earlier peaceful protests over the killing of George Floyd turned violent later in the day.

Mayor Steve Benjamin declared the curfew effective as of 6pm saying “When protests go from being peaceful to being violent the situation changes ... and this won’t tolerated.”

According to Columbia police chief Skip Holbrook, four officers were injured, one said to be in serious condition. A firefighter was also injured as protesters descended on the Columbia Police Headquarters on Washington Street.

Multiple arrests have been made, one of those arrests was of a suspect who allegedly fired a weapon.

According to the State Newspaper, several vehicles have been damaged, including three police cruisers that were torched.

The curfew is in effect until Monday.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

BBC reporting 30 city's across the US with rioting.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Deejay100six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

Another wild night in Columbus...... Dumpster fires, a 5 story building set on fire. The building was being renovated but the roof collapsed......fire dept was busy. Wonder what it would have been like if the 10PM curfew wasn't in effect??
Old 05-31-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Wonder what it would have been like if the 10PM curfew wasn't in effect??
I'm not trying to be snarky, but do you really think that matters?

The kinds of riots that are going on now really don't start, or stop, because there's a curfew.

The people setting fires, breaking windows, and similar are justifiably furious but what they're doing in response to that fury cannot be justified, period. Michelle Goldberg, in her New York Times editorial, America Is A Tinderbox, is 100% correct. And for many of us it's no mystery as to why - no mystery at all.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Grand Rapids had a protest that turned riot like, but apparently was settled down without too much damage.
kendallt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
Administrator
TSF Manager

The curfew did stop the mass destruction of businesses and looting. Streets were pretty much clear after 10PM. The fires were started after the 10PM curfew, though. I'm listening to an online fire scanner and it sounds like they're still working on the building that was torched......looking for hot spots. The building was an apartment building.....go figure....

I agree with the editorial.....not good times in America. I've seen more than enough in my lifetime.
Fred Knurke likes this.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Seems there was more damage and destruction in Grand Rapids than reported by the earlier articles I read reported.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
Administrator
TSF Manager

Battalion 1 just getting ready to leave the scene of the fire.....been a long night. Replacements should have arrived at 8AM when Unit 2 came on duty. Should have been plenty of manpower.....3 alarm fire.

Wonder what will happen tonight?? Plenty of destruction all across the US.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:21 PM   #10
Administrator
TSF Manager

Crowds are gathering, once again, at the statehouse......gonna be another one of those nights....

I was wrong about the FD wrapping up at the torched apartment building. They're rotating crews and equipment in and out. More of a 'fire watch' and looking for hot spots.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:23 PM   #11
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trafalg...ns-2020-05-31/

As if we didn't have enough on our plates.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Deejay100six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #12
Administrator
TSF Manager

I heard the UK is having protests, also.......what fun.

6 minutes to curfew.....we'll see how it goes tonight.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #13
Security Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
I heard the UK is having protests, also.......what fun.
As far as I'm aware, only in London ..... the rest of the country have lives to live, and enough problems of our own to deal with without taking on those that have little or nothing to do with us.

US problems are for the US to deal with, and if you've got problems with your Law enforcers, then you are the ones who need to address them, and you don't need any prompting or assistance from us.

What happened is reprehensible, but so is the rioting and looting, and I doubt very much whether those doing the rioting and looting actually care a jot about justice and/or equality under the law. Which is not to demean the actions of those who do care, and who protest peacefully.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #14
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
What happened is reprehensible, but so is the rioting and looting, and I doubt very much whether those doing the rioting and looting actually care a jot about justice and/or equality under the law. Which is not to demean the actions of those who do care, and who protest peacefully.
And, therein lies the problem. Even if those rioting (who very well may care, a lot, about justice and equality under the law, but are choosing a wholly inappropriate and counterproductive way to express it) and looting (probability of caring far less, but not zero) do care, what they're doing makes many resist the need to address inequality and injustice because of the damage being done to those who have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

I get, entirely, why the level of rage and fury has reached this stage. The leadership in the USA that's held primary power for decades now has actively discouraged respect for the idea of social justice and equality. It's been more than ignoring it, it's been open disrespect and dismissal. For those on the receiving end, who've been suffering under this for far longer than I've been alive, that's justifiably galling.

But burning things to the ground and looting has never been the solution. Sadly, though, it has been effective in making clear just how enraged a significant (in multiple dimensions) portion of the population is. If those in charge have even a scintilla of intelligence, they know that this means that saying the right things immediately, and doing what one can to make needed change come about, is what must happen. Right now, here in the USA, we have already had a very clear demonstration that those at the top are not doing so, but are stoking the flames not by saying nothing, but by saying the inflammatory, and with a long history of being inflammatory.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. (And in this case don't know squat about history or care about it.)
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #15
Security Team

Yes, the trouble with burning, and looting, and smashing things up, is that although it may draw attention to your cause, it also alienates all those people whose property and possessions you have stolen or destroyed.

It also gives the people in authority an excuse to do nothing, since acting will signal that rioting is effective, and that's something they'll never want to admit to.

Peaceful protest, although it may not seem to be as effective in highlighting a problem, and may take longer to achieve its aims, is often more effective, since it allows those in power to change their attitudes, without losing face, and if there's one thing that those in power don't like doing, it's losing face.
kendallt and bobc4383 like this.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Here in Canada we are totally against what has gone on with George Floyd. Keep up the good protest !
Fred Knurke likes this.
BrentC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:09 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
And, therein lies the problem. Even if those rioting (who very well may care, a lot, about justice and equality under the law, but are choosing a wholly inappropriate and counterproductive way to express it) and looting (probability of caring far less, but not zero) do care, what they're doing makes many resist the need to address inequality and injustice because of the damage being done to those who have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

I get, entirely, why the level of rage and fury has reached this stage. The leadership in the USA that's held primary power for decades now has actively discouraged respect for the idea of social justice and equality. It's been more than ignoring it, it's been open disrespect and dismissal. For those on the receiving end, who've been suffering under this for far longer than I've been alive, that's justifiably galling.

But burning things to the ground and looting has never been the solution. Sadly, though, it has been effective in making clear just how enraged a significant (in multiple dimensions) portion of the population is. If those in charge have even a scintilla of intelligence, they know that this means that saying the right things immediately, and doing what one can to make needed change come about, is what must happen. Right now, here in the USA, we have already had a very clear demonstration that those at the top are not doing so, but are stoking the flames not by saying nothing, but by saying the inflammatory, and with a long history of being inflammatory.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. (And in this case don't know squat about history or care about it.)
Wait, we have leadership? Could of fooled me in this Un-United States of America. Maybe we should just stick with Amerika.
jonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
Wait, we have leadership? Could of fooled me in this Un-United States of America. Maybe we should just stick with Amerika.

Yes we do have leadership in the USA.
You do not have to agree with it, if you do, great, if you don't that's great too. That's why we have elections.
charlie1776 likes this.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Yes we do have leadership in the USA.
You do not have to agree with it, if you do, great, if you don't that's great too. That's why we have elections.
Please give me names.
jonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but do you really think that matters?

The kinds of riots that are going on now really don't start, or stop, because there's a curfew.

The people setting fires, breaking windows, and similar are justifiably furious but what they're doing in response to that fury cannot be justified, period. Michelle Goldberg, in her New York Times editorial, America Is A Tinderbox, is 100% correct. And for many of us it's no mystery as to why - no mystery at all.

"The people setting fires, breaking windows, and similar are justifiably furious"..., you have fallen for the Okee Doke that the criminals intended. The criminals I mention are not JUST the looters, arsonists, bottle throwers, brick throwers. No, Twitter just took down a white nationalist account that was being used to send tweets in the name of ANTIFA. Recognize them? Yeah, the same one Bill Barr blamed, and Donald tRump parroted in his "get tough" message, without one shred of evidence. But that doesn't matter, he also said there were "good people on both sides" when they murdered that girl in Charlottesville. I loathe all of that idiocy being stoked by infiltrators from right wingnut groups. They do that so that the conversation won't be about police murders, but looting. They stoke fear of the peaceful protestors who are at home by curfew! The ones who live to break the law, break the law. They are easy to motivate. They look for opportunities, and they pounce on them.

Don't be fooled man. This is no "protest getting out of hand". This is covertly orchestrated.
Fred Knurke likes this.
djbillyd is offline   Reply With Quote