Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Plague

This is a discussion on Plague within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just saw on a science page on FB that a town in Chins is on lockdown due to s

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Automotive Team

I just saw on a science page on FB that a town in Chins is on lockdown due to s 38 year old man dying of bubonic plague. Yhecdute is called I f*** love science, I'm looking online now to try to confirm it, if anybody heard me to it post away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Saw that on MSNBC this morning.

China 'seals off' city after man dies of bubonic plague

This one's even scarier.....Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus

No cure for Ebola but bubonic plague can be treated.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
Automotive Team

WOW I didn't know about the Ebola outbreak, either that or I forgot about it.
Either way Black Plague killed most of Europe in the middle ages.....Bells would have killed all of Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

That's what the world needs right now, another plague that kills about 3,000,000,000 people.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Genetic variation both in the pathogen and the organism it infects usually prevents total extinction of either. With modern medicines and hygiene, plague is not as devastating as the fear that the name engenders in developed countries. There are small outbreaks of bubonic plague in native rodent populations throughout the US West every year and occasionally a human is infected too. Hygiene and quarantine are the key to preventing plague outbreaks in humans as the pathogen will eventually develop resistance to antibiotics.

Some isolated cultures are extremely susceptible to pathogens as they have not undergone the natural selection that the rest of humanity has. For instance, there was recently a rarely-documented tribe in Brazil who made contact with the outside world, and immediately came down with influenza. Influenza killed about a hundred million people from 1918-1920. Even including the current outbreak, Ebola so far has killed less than 3,000.

Disease outbreaks get a lot of hype and money poured into them but human behavior still accounts for many more unnecessary deaths. 480,000 die each year in the US alone from the effects of tobacco.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

nothing to worry about, just natures way of solving the worlds food problem. Nature tends to take care of itself through its own method of population control.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

One thing that terrorists seem to forget is that the world now is hugely overpopulated in terms of non-technologically-enhanced carrying capacity. If the global energy production and transportation were to collapse, starvation alone could wipe out two-thirds of the population within a decade. However, I doubt that this will ever happen. When environmental emergencies occur people just don't usually go "Mad Max" but rather rush in with whatever assistance they can muster in order to patch the wound.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
One thing that terrorists seem to forget is that the world now is hugely overpopulated in terms of non-technologically-enhanced carrying capacity. If the global energy production and transportation were to collapse, starvation alone could wipe out two-thirds of the population within a decade. However, I doubt that this will ever happen. When environmental emergencies occur people just don't usually go "Mad Max" but rather rush in with whatever assistance they can muster in order to patch the wound.

localized environmental emergencies is one thing, a world wide environmental emergency is another. I think there would be a mad max scenario if any disaster becomes worldwide.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

In 2012, we just missed having half of the world's electronics and electrical infrastructure disrupted, if not destroyed, by a coronal mass ejection.

Earth nearly took hit from monster solar storm - CNN.com
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
In 2012, we just missed having half of the world's electronics and electrical infrastructure disrupted, if not destroyed, by a coronal mass ejection.

Earth nearly took hit from monster solar storm - CNN.com
that would have made things very interesting. I wonder how prepared the government is for when it does happen. As far as I know only the military is prepared for that type of disruption and that is scary.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
Registered Member

You think that's bad? What about the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa that's suppose to be a new strain and they can't get it under control. Also they recently shut off some hospital in Pisa, Italy because they have people from Africa in there who contracted that same Ebola. Frankly, I think they should be more careful letting sick people in the country. Same should go for any place else.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zineeditor View Post
You think that's bad? What about the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa that's suppose to be a new strain and they can't get it under control. Also they recently shut off some hospital in Pisa, Italy because they have people from Africa in there who contracted that same Ebola. Frankly, I think they should be more careful letting sick people in the country. Same should go for any place else.

since it takes up to three weeks after exposure before symptoms appear, it would be impossible to keep sick people out unless you kept everyone out.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Well, that's bad. Real bad. If that thing starts spreading in Italy, it could easily spread to the rest of Europe and beyond. They'd have to get a handle on it right away. It's been known for a while now about that new strain in West Africa. Seems to me they needed some sort of security regarding people coming out of that specific area in West Africa. I think it's Senegal.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #14
Automotive Team

I have a game on my tablet that I play called plague, I. The game I am a bacteria or virus, my goal is to infect and kill everybody in the world to win. I know its just a game, but if you think about the transmittion and symptoms and abilities that you get by evolving its can actually be an eye opener.
Plague
War
Both do the same thing, eliminate people, war brings about geographical and political change. So does plague. Plague brings about death.... So does war. Its all a matter of which you prefer.
I prefer war.......at least there's an advantage over plague...........you can see the enemy
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Just reading the news and Ebola has now put Nigeria on red-alert - Link

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 07-28-2014, 03:51 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo View Post
Just reading the news and Ebola has now put Nigeria on red-alert - Link
Just another scam to get your money?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther063 View Post
Just another scam to get your money?
So you got the email too? Seems it has mutated and only targets the rich daddies of kids who need my help to access their rightful inheritance.

But it is serious. I spent some time in Sierra Leone some years ago and (unless things have got much better - actually they probably have gotten worse) this could spread rapidly and with little ability to stem that tide. Living conditions are squalid and health care facilities are few and far between. Those that do exist are understaffed and ill-equipped.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
Registered Member

So, how far could that thing manage to spread if they don't contain it in west Africa or in Italy? Gee, and I thought zombies were bad!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It's hard to say really, but with both legal and illegal immigration through Europe and elsewhere, it could be rapid. There's some info about Ebola and how it spreads here Link

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
Registered Member

I checked out the link. Well, that's plenty scary. I see that Liberia closed their borders. Let's see if any of the European countries have the good sense to do that. It's like the least they should do to protect themselves. Frankly, I think when it comes right down to it and one needs to use common sense to survive, one should do what it takes instead of all this wide open door policy to anyone and everyone. It's a totally lack of common sense to allow people in from any country that has a bad history of these types of epidemics. Like do they have a death wish or something? Political correctness at the expense of one's life, no way. I wouldn't do it, and no way could anyone convince me otherwise. I figure one has only one life to live, so don't be foolish and throw it away simply to have open borders at any cost. If it gets out of control in Italy I'll be surprised if western Europe shuts its borders.
Closed Thread