Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Obamacare Successful ...

This is a discussion on Obamacare Successful ... within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ... in States that give a damn about their citizens. Though some critics of the health law continue to question

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 AM   #1
Vetustior Humo

... in States that give a damn about their citizens.
Quote:
Though some critics of the health law continue to question its impact on coverage, a growing number of independent surveys show the number of Americans without health insurance fell dramatically last year. The rate had been increasing in the years before the new law went into effect.
Of course, this leaves out most of the southern states.
Quote:
The highest uninsured rates are in the South and West. For the seventh consecutive year, Texas has the worst rate in the country, with nearly a quarter of its adults uncovered.
Bold mine

Link

The real question is what does this cost Texas? And is it worth it to demonstrate that you dislike the uppity POTUS? Why not just hold your breath and stamp your feet?
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 04:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
... in States that give a damn about their citizens.

Of course, this leaves out most of the southern states.
Bold mine

Link

The real question is what does this cost Texas? And is it worth it to demonstrate that you dislike the uppity POTUS? Why not just hold your breath and stamp your feet?
When force with jail... what are you supposed to do?
Old 02-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #3
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post
When force with jail... what are you supposed to do?
Jail? Please quote the relevant section of the ACA that says that.

Oh wait. You can't because
Quote:
As plainly stated on page 111 of the law, "In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such failure." There would also be no liens or levies placed on property for failure to pay. Pants on Fire
Facts? What Facts? We don't need no stink'n facts.
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

But . . But . .

Old 02-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Good ol' Texas Legislature can't find the time to grant medical coverage to the millions who are locked out of it now, but they can find time to protect the Alamo from yet another Bush . . .

The rest of the country has to put up with just a few idiots like this . . our entire Legislature is made up of them!

Quote:
It's been 179 years since Mexican troops surrounded the Alamo and seized it after an iconic battle.

Republican state Sen. Donna Campbell wants to ensure that history never repeats itself. Only this time it's the United Nations — not Santa Anna's army — that she worries may pose a threat.

A Senate committee Tuesday will hear Campbell's "Protect the Alamo Act" that would prohibit Texas' General Land Office from giving another country ownership, control or management of the 18th century mission-turned-19th century fortress.

The office and new Land Commissioner George P. Bush are custodians of the Alamo, one of five San Antonio missions up for consideration as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Campbell says the designation "could create a conflict regarding future management of the San Antonio landmark."
Texas Senate panel mulls "Protect the Alamo Act" proposal - BaytownSun.com: Texas AP News

Old 02-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

of course obamacare is very successful - at least from the insurance companies point of view. I foresee record profits for them.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
of course obamacare is very successful - at least from the insurance companies point of view. I foresee record profits for them.
Agree. It would have been so much better to cut them out altogether. But thanks to CT's own Joe Lieberman that was taken off the table very early in the discussions. Sorry.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post

Jail? Please quote the relevant section of the ACA that says that.

Oh wait. You can't because

Facts? What Facts? We don't need no stink'n facts.
If you don't pay your taxes you go to jail... because if I didn't have to pay the tax why would I?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post

If you don't pay your taxes you go to jail... because if I didn't have to pay the tax why would I?
And as you put it... timely pay... if you never pay what would happen?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

What I don't like about the Obamacare penalty is that you are being taxed for not purchasing something, rather than getting a tax credit if you do as is the case with things like alternative energy improvements to your home. This is the same as the so-called "fair share" payments that unions force people to pay in order to work in a union state if you are not a member of the union.

Although the law states that there will be no criminal prosecution for not paying the penalty, by linking it to the tax code you can be prosecuted for not paying tax. Tax penalties are quite a scam. I once made a mistake of $50 on my taxes. The IRS didn't get around to notifying me of this for several years and then slapped me with a $550 bill for penalties on that $50. This was a time when I was making about $10,000 a year so that was quite a blow to my budget.

The whole Obamacare thing is still a mess. 800,000 people got sent incorrect tax forms and the IRS has told them to hold off filing until that can be corrected. Also, people may owe tax they don't know about because of the subsidies they received.

Quote:
If you received discounted insurance through a health exchange, you'll need to fill out the mind-boggling Form 8962. Although this two-page form officially has just 36 lines, there are actually 90 spaces on just the first page that need to be filed in -- up to six spaces for each official "line." To put the correct figures in several of these spaces, you'll need to complete charts and worksheets found elsewhere in the 20-page instruction booklet. -- CBS Moneywatch
Quote:
"The Affordable Care Act has made health care a tax issue, no one can understand it,” -- H&R Block
Quote:
A former IRS Commissioner agrees, and cautions that the new tax requirements will be a “shock to the system,” especially afflicting low-income earners who have never itemized on their tax return.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

To my way of thinking, you are not paying for nothing . . you are paying for access to Emergency Room and other Medical care that would otherwise be born by the taxpayers in the event of a serious medical problem

Anything new is going to have bumps in the road . . for millions, the ability to buy affordable health insurance more than offsets the fairly minor bookkeeping issues.

I know personally over a dozen folks ( families ) who now have the ability to buy health insurance that could not do so two years ago. For most of them, it has allowed them to leave the company they were working for and either retire or do consulting/contract work for more money and job satisfaction.

With the kids out of the nest and financial security in hand, they now have the ability to live the way they wish without having the specter of bankruptcy hanging over their head in case of a major medical catastrophe. ( likely part of the driver for the low Labor Participation Rates we have seven the last 25 years )

Old 02-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #12
Vetustior Humo

MPR - the issue then is the horribly complex tax code not the ACA. If they really wanted to they streamline the whole thing but that would take a lot of 1 - effort and 2-their ability to route favors to those who would bribe them.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #13
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Successful? The program only has approximated 10 million "Americans" for "coverage" in five years is successful? So it takes five years to cover only two states out of 50 (in the population level of 30 - 21). We'll be at this for a while.

The only way out is to pay fines or go through exemptions:

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exem...being-covered/

What really should be done is change plans so that you can buy insurance from outside your state. Create competition between the insurance companies, forcing lower prices. Then force acts that state minimum coverage per American, for example one yearly checkup, dentist check every six months, two sick visits, and perhaps a yearly vision check for those who need their contacts prescribed to order new ones next year. Then anything more would be an additional cost for the next highest plan. This takes out the Government involvement and money.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #14
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Here's my 2 cents: I just recently signed up for this POC healthcare plan. Not realizing where the money was coming from to pay for it, on my end. So I submitted my application, I was accepted, choose a plan (silver plan) that only cost's me $38 a month. I'm thinking this is so awesome what the hell is everybody bitching about.

Now for a reality check on this ObamaCare....after doing some research and finding out where the money is comming from that pays for this, on my end...is a tax credit. Based off the estimated gross income of the individual for the upcoming year. This tax credit is taken from your "TAX REFUND" at the end of the year.

So my tax credit for my Silver plan is $357 month (subsidized), multiply that by 12 is $4284. Now add the $38 X 12 = $456 to the $4284 and my actual cost is $4740. So when I do my taxes and I have a refund the Gov. takes almost 5K for health care.

This is an awesome system to screw the bollocks out of the middle class workers of there hard earned money.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
Vetustior Humo

Fisher..I think you're being misinformed. A tax credit lowers your taxes.

For an explanation of how the ACA subsidy works see HERE

From that site it appears they calculated your expected contribution at $456/yr. The subsidy pays the rest not you.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Successful? The program only has approximated 10 million "Americans" for "coverage" in five years is successful? So it takes five years to cover only two states out of 50 (in the population level of 30 - 21). We'll be at this for a while.

The only way out is to pay fines or go through exemptions:

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exem...being-covered/

What really should be done is change plans so that you can buy insurance from outside your state. Create competition between the insurance companies, forcing lower prices. Then force acts that state minimum coverage per American, for example one yearly checkup, dentist check every six months, two sick visits, and perhaps a yearly vision check for those who need their contacts prescribed to order new ones next year. Then anything more would be an additional cost for the next highest plan. This takes out the Government involvement and money.
I agree . . but getting the states to change those laws ( particularly in the face of the funding they get from the insurance companies ) is no easy matter . .

We have the same issue here in Texas where the insurance companies pay the legislature to prohibit buying auto or home insurance from companies outside Texas . . Keeps rates high and not coincidently, political contributions to the politicians equally high

ACA was never intended tol cover everyone . . just those who were not able to buy coverage under the very strict rules that insurance companies had in force for individual policies. . . My sister was paying over $1,700 a month for a high deductible policy because of a preexisting health condition . . and that particular condition was not covered. She now pays less than a third for a policy with much lower deductibles and copayments, and her condition is covered ! Because of her income level she does not qualify for any subsidies

Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
Interesting that one of the earliest predictions of doom ( along with the death panels ) was that ACA would drive the Insurance Companies into bankruptcy . .

Old 02-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Interesting that one of the earliest predictions of doom ( along with the death panels ) was that ACA would drive the Insurance Companies into bankruptcy . .
reverse psychology :-)
Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

Could be some of that I suppose . . it is amazing how much emotion and angst a simple law providing insurance coverage caused. Some of it was false, just opposing anything that this POTUS caused and much of it was outright lies . .

Is it a perfect law ? . . No, but how many are? There are many things I would not have done, but overall, it beats the Hell out of the insurance system that existed previously. Millions of folks bankrupted by medical bills and millions doing without necessary care because they were locked out of the system

Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #20
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
beats the Hell out of the insurance system that existed previously.
Health insurance was cheaper before this! Made it worse IMHO with the increase in prices and loss of insurance or doctors.

Quote:
Millions of folks bankrupted by medical bills and millions doing without necessary care because they were locked out of the system
Because the cost of the emergency room is outrageous. They cannot turn down people, so they must provide treatment. Then people don't pay, leaving the hospital with unearned revenue and that needs to be regained another way. Might as well hike up the prices for those who DO pay!
Closed Thread