Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Obama to announce major Cuba policy overhaul

This is a discussion on Obama to announce major Cuba policy overhaul within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. U.S. President Barack Obama was set to announce a shift in policy toward Cuba on Wednesday and the Associated Press

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
U.S. President Barack Obama was set to announce a shift in policy toward Cuba on Wednesday and the Associated Press reported the changes would include the opening of an embassy in Cuba and the start of talks to normalize relations.

The shift in policy, which could be one of the biggest changes in decades of animosity between communist-ruled Cuba and the United States, was heralded by Cuba's release of American aid worker Alan Gross after five years in prison in a reported prisoner exchange with Havana.

Obama was due to make a statement at noon (1700 GMT) on Cuba, the White House said, and a U.S. official said Obama would announce a shift in Cuba policy. Cuban President Raul Castro was also set to make a statement at that time.

Citing U.S. officials, the AP said Washington planned to open an embassy in Cuba as part of its plan to launch talks and normalize relations.

A senior congressional aide said Obama would ease the embargo and travel restrictions that prevent most Americans from visiting the island.
. . 'bout time . .

Obama to announce major Cuba policy overhaul; prisoners swapped | Reuters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I agree, it is about time. carnival cruise lines will be very happy with this :-) Never saw a real reason for the travel and trade ban other than payback for the unions and the mafia losing millions and the US government had hurt feelings when castro took over.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Gone | Not Forgotten

And the benefit to the USA is??

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

I can go there legally now ! US companies can do business there . . . . Cuban citizens can now be tourists in the US. ( read . . spend money here )

Brother Cruz can go visit relatives ( although, he likely did that using his Canadian citizenship )

No reason it cannot be an extension of Florida . .

Old 12-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

I suspect some of the warming has to do with Moscow no longer being able to keep them on the welfare roll! The ties between the two have deteriorated in the past few years and they now need a new source for goods and equipment.

It has long been a mystery to me how we justified normalizing relations with Viet Nam long before doing it with Cuba . . but then a lot of what happens in politics is often a mystery to me.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Cuba’s decision to reach an accord with the U.S. over prisoner exchanges in return for the easing of a five-decade embargo comes as the Caribbean island’s economy slows and its key benefactor, Venezuela, struggles to avoid default.

Cuba’s economy collapsed in the early 1990s when its closest ally, the Soviet Union, fell. With Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro unable to contain the world’s fastest inflation and the country’s bonds trading at default levels, Cuba President Raul Castro has been working to diversify the Communist country away from Venezuela, which provides about 100,000 barrels of oil a day in exchange for medical personnel.

Since early 2013, Castro has eased travel restrictions, increased incentives to attract foreign investment and tried to reduce public payrolls. That hasn’t boosted the economy, which is poised to expand 0.8 percent this year according to Moody’s Investors Service, less than the 2.2 percent forecast by the government at the start of 2014.
Looks like Venezuelas' mess came into play as well . .

Mess in Venezuela Is One Reason Cuba Turned to the U.S. - Bloomberg

Old 12-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Gone | Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post

No reason it cannot be an extension of Florida . .
Just what we need another sponge. Another money hole.

On the plus side, we could see old soviet era guns, running old cars.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

. . could be a boon for the manufacturers of parts for 50's cars!

Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
I agree, it is about time. carnival cruise lines will be very happy with this :-) Never saw a real reason for the travel and trade ban other than payback for the unions and the mafia losing millions and the US government had hurt feelings when castro took over.
And you get the most correct comment of the Internet award today...
Old 12-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post

Just what we need another sponge. Another money hole.

On the plus side, we could see old soviet era guns, running old cars.

BG
As Rich said, manufacturers exporting '50s car parts... so far rich tourists start dumping money into their economy, then their economy can start buying our goods...
Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Automotive Team

FINALLY I can get a Cuban cigar ( legally)
Old 12-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

I won't have to get 'em thru Moscow!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The Obama administration is putting a large dent in the U.S. embargo against Cuba as of Friday, significantly loosening restrictions on American trade and investment.

The new rules also open up the communist island to greater American travel and allow U.S. citizens to start bringing home small amounts of Cuban cigars after more than a half-century ban.

Thursday's announcement of new Treasury and Commerce Department regulations are the next step in President Barack Obama's plan to re-establish diplomatic relations with Cuba. They come three days after U.S. officials confirmed the release of 53 political prisoners Cuba had promised to free.
Now Speaker Cruz will not have to use his Canadian Passport to get the cigars! ! He'll still set his hair on fire and run in circles just because POTUS beat the Reps to the punch! ( al la ACA )

US loosens embargo on Cuba, making trade and travel easier

Closed Thread