Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Obama asks Congress to authorize U.S. war on Islamic State

This is a discussion on Obama asks Congress to authorize U.S. war on Islamic State within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday sent Congress his long-awaited formal request to authorize military force against Islamic State, meeting

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday sent Congress his long-awaited formal request to authorize military force against Islamic State, meeting swift resistance from Republicans as well as his fellow Democrats wary of another war in the Middle East.

Republicans, who control Congress and say Obama's foreign policy is too passive, want stronger measures against the militants than outlined in the plan, which bars any large-scale invasion by U.S. ground troops and covers the next three years.

Obama acknowledged that the military campaign is difficult and will remain so. "But our coalition is on the offensive. ISIL is on the defensive, and ISIL is going to lose," he said in a televised statement from the White House.

With many of Obama's fellow Democrats insisting the plan is too broad because it includes no blanket ban on ground troops, it could be difficult for the authorization to pass, even though six months have passed since the campaign began.

Obama consulted with Republicans and Democrats in writing the resolution, and said he would continue to do so. He said the time frame was intended to let Congress revisit the issue when the next president takes office in 2017.
Poor ol' Republicans won't know what to do with this . . on the one hand, Republicans have never seen a war they could not embrace. . on the other hand, voting for it could be seen as supporting the uppity ninja . .

I predict much wadding of panties and whining . .

Speaker Cruz will set his hair on fire and demand the government be shut down . . . Issa will write subpoenas for everyone who ever hear of war (even though he no longer is in that role) Boehner will cry and demand that the Senate vote first . .

Obama asks Congress to authorize U.S. war on Islamic State | Reuters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Republicans exploring a 2016 White House run are pounding away at President Barack Obama's strategy for stopping Islamic State militants but, wary of Americans' war fatigue, are so far providing few specifics on what they would do differently.

The renewed threat posed by Islamic militants is emerging as the top foreign policy issue for the 2016 race, and Obama's submission to Congress on Wednesday of a draft authorization of military force against the extremists intensified the debate.
Did not take long . . .

The vote is highly complicated because POTUS did not ask for approval to invade some nonrelated country and engage in another 15 years of Nation Building ( a task near and dear to the Republican heart )

Potential Republican candidates tread carefully on Islamic State | Reuters

Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

We need to elect a commander in chief who has actually had some experience in the military. He would be less likely to think of US troops as "army men" that he can play with and "enemy ( non)combatants" as no more than video game characters that he can gleefully send drone strikes against. Remember that this is the president who killed a teenage American and his friends for no real reason.

Also, this ever-present "war" against "terror" has given the executive office far too much power. Those in the Middle East need to fight their own wars as they have done since civilization started and will until it ends. I'm all for continuing support, especially of the Kurds, but if we sent a million troops over there and occupied the area for another ten years all that would happen would be that a new Islamic group would come into power when we left again.

Or, perhaps Halliburton wants to make some more profits, I heard that they were going to lay off a several thousand people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

. . versus the previous one who had military experience ( sort of ) who caused the death of thousands of young men and women for absolutely no reason . .

Halliburton lost their man in the white house when Cheney left

Closed Thread