Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Nope--not a good idea

This is a discussion on Nope--not a good idea within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Protect Wall Street Reopen the country and we can have business as usual. What happens when this pandemic really gets

Like Tree18Likes

Old 03-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Protect Wall Street

Reopen the country and we can have business as usual. What happens when this pandemic really gets out of control?? We're already 3rd in the world for confirmed COVID-19 cases......MAGA and we can be #1.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

I agree.

Approaching 416,000 cases so far: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

85 Percent Of New Coronavirus Cases Reported In Europe And United States, World Health Organization Says
https://www.newsweek.com/85-percent-...n-says-1493969

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan defies Trump with aggressive coronavirus response
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/polit...nor/index.html
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Administrator
TSF Manager

Approaching?? We're over 417,000 (globally).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/coronavirus
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Yep, as of right now it's showing 417,698: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
Old 03-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

First, before I say what follows, I am very largely in agreement with the extremely conservative approach that's being recommended by public health experts.

That being said, 418K of the world's population is a mere drop in the proverbial bucket, and the vast majority of those infected simply go on to recover.

It seems from everything the public health experts are saying that the measures we're taking are in no way intended to, ultimately, stop the corona virus, but are to protect the most vulnerable populations by controlling its speed of spread and, to the extent possible, allowing the virus to "burn out" among the majority of the world's population that will not likely "go critical" and establish huge and broad swaths of immunity.

I think we're fooling ourselves, given all data available and any reasonable timelines, if we believe that we are going to expunge this virus from the surface of the earth prior to this pandemic having run its natural, if carefully shaped via human actions [or the lack thereof], course.

I'm following all of the social isolation guidelines. I have a mother in an assisted living facility, and you may be able to keep the virus out of these tiny enclaves due to complete restriction on visitors. But I doubt that there is any way that I will not, eventually, get it. It's a novel pathogen against which virtually no one has immunity, and it's already widely dispersed over the entire earth. There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, at least not permanently.
kendallt, Gary R and xrobwx71 like this.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

418k is indeed a drop in the ocean, but if things are allowed to go on as usual (no measures in place to slow down the spread), we are looking at a heart-numbing number of deaths! Every extended family has multiple persons who are likely to die of covid-19! That much grief the world over can't be good for humanity. To say the least, this pandemic is already having a devastating rippling effect on way of life and if people continue downplaying its seriousness, then we've not seen the worst of it yet. The current, relatively small number of cases and deaths are blindfolding folks into thinking this thing is not as dangerous as it is being "portrayed by the media".
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
... blindfolding folks into thinking this thing is not as dangerous as it is being "portrayed by the media".

CovIdiots
tristar likes this.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:49 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team

My System

And I'd say the writing is already clearly on the wall as to what `Our Dear Leader` intends to do. It's all about his impulses and nothing more. But what's new about that?
SABL and SpywareDr like this.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Trump's magical thinking: Snake oil, an Easter resurrection and killing Nana for capitalism
Quote:
Trump's in way over his head and his own businesses are failing — and his desperate flailing will kill people
DaveMcKnight likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
Administrator
TSF Manager

MAGA at its best.....we're #1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/coronavirus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...es/ar-BB11LlDh
Old 03-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Commander-in-Chief

CovIdiot-in-Chief
SABL, Stancestans and DaveMcKnight like this.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #12
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Commander-in-Chief

CovIdiot-in-Chief
The "Cov" is unnecessary. Whoever is not enraged by this man's incompetence and narcissism by now simply never will be.

I am hitting the mute button the moment I see him these days so as not to have to listen to absolute abject stupidity and have my blood pressure go up.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Yep, shoulda sent in the military and enacted a lockdown.
kendallt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #14
Administrator
TSF Manager

Can't send the military......they're protecting the southern border.

Still #1 and leading the pack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as...nt/ar-BB11OrJY
Old 04-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Protect Wall Street

Reopen the country and we can have business as usual. What happens when this pandemic really gets out of control?? We're already 3rd in the world for confirmed COVID-19 cases......MAGA and we can be #1.
I'm all for business as usual. But, is that "usual" before or after we lose the 1-200,000 Americans the people who actually know what they're talking about have said was possible? If there is a head of country doing more better than ours, I haven't heard of him. The speed with which the private and gov't organizations are moving is beyond any similar reactions in history.

There's an old saying that "you go to war with the army you have", which could be altered to say, "You test with the test kit you have". Other than that single stumble, President Trump and his team have been right on the money. We should consider ourselves lucky to have a real leader, for once.
bruiser likes this.
iouzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Can't send the military......they're protecting the southern border.

Still #1 and leading the pack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as...nt/ar-BB11OrJY
There are NO US military on the southern border. It would take an act of congress to deploy our military within the borders of the country. Were you thinking of the limited use of the National Guard, which is confined to support functions, not border protection.
kendallt likes this.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #17
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by iouzero View Post
Other than that single stumble, President Trump and his team have been right on the money. We should consider ourselves lucky to have a real leader, for once.
What single stumble?? He's stumbled all the way as he leads us down the garden path.

Quote:
There are NO US military on the southern border. It would take an act of congress to deploy our military within the borders of the country. Were you thinking of the limited use of the National Guard, which is confined to support functions, not border protection.
I guess I must be reading 'fake news'......

No mention of NG.

Quote:
Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved a DHS request seeking the 540 troops, Reuters first reported late Tuesday.

The United States already has roughly 5,000 military personnel at the border who perform non-law enforcement duties
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pe...ns/ar-BB122hky
DaveMcKnight likes this.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #18
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
What single stumble?? He's stumbled all the way as he leads us down the garden path.

No mention of NG.
It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.
~ Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)

If you cannot or will not imagine the results of your actions, there’s no way you can act morally or responsibly. Little kids can’t do it; babies are morally monsters — completely greedy. Their imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
~ Ursula LeGuin, 2005 Interview in The Guardian

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:

They are not inside the border.
xrobwx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:

The 'stumble' pertains to the initial CDC corvid-19 test kit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#3c4158e1670e

I have no idea what you're reading.

No mention of the NG.

The site you've given doesn't mention flying saucers, either. This neither proves nor disproves UFO existence. Ditto the use of the National Guard as support of border enforcement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pe...ns/ar-BB122hky
The military deployed near, not on, the border are there within the dictates of the Posse Comitatus Act, to act in support of, but not as, law enforcement organizations. See more about this at:

https://www.thoughtco.com/posse-comi...border-3321286