Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

NFL's Redskins' trademarks voided, board says name is a slur

This is a discussion on NFL's Redskins' trademarks voided, board says name is a slur within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A U.S. government tribunal canceled trademarks of the NFL's Washington Redskins on Wednesday because they disparage Native Americans, setting the

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

A U.S. government tribunal canceled trademarks of the NFL's Washington Redskins on Wednesday because they disparage Native Americans, setting the stage for a court battle with the team's owner.

Quote:
The 2-1 decision by a Patent and Trademark Office administrative tribunal heightens pressure on the Washington club to change its name following decades of criticism by Native Americans and others who say it is a slur.

The franchise said it would appeal the ruling in the case, in which five Native Americans had sought to overturn six Redskins' trademarks.

The Patent Office tribunal found that at least 30 percent of Native Americans found the name "Redskins" disparaging from 1967 to 1990, when the trademarks were registered.

"Petitioners have shown by a preponderance of the evidence that a substantial composite of Native Americans found the term REDSKINS to be disparaging in connection with respondentís services during the relevant time frame," the decision said.
Hmmmm . . . Heap bad news for home team Kemo Sabe

NFL's Redskins' trademarks voided, board says name is a slur | Reuters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #2

Ah well, the trademark will still be enforced for, I would say the decade long appeal battle.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

The talking heads on NFL channel on Sirrus were saying this happened a few years ago and was reversed by upper courts . . but you are right . . will drag on for years unless Snyder makes a change.

To me the objectionable part of the name is "Washington" . . not "Redskins", but then I am not an American Indian and would not have the same sensibilities. Could be a boon for sales . . Collectors racing to buy as many Redskins jerseys while they are available . . then when ( if ) the name is changed, rabid fans rushing to buy the new ones with their favs name on it.

Their original name was the Boston Braves , changed in 1933 to honor their coach who was an American Indian. . Kinda ironic that it is now seen as derogatory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I don't know how it can be a slur when some indian schools on reservations uses the same name for their mascots.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

When I think of the "Skins" i don't think about ethnicity. I think 1940 NFL Championship, Bears 73/Redskins 0. I think of Joe Theisman's leg after Lawrence Taylor's hit. I think of George Allen clapping his hands on the sideline even when the team screwed-up. I think of >>>>>>>

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I wonder if it is all about money. I wonder if there was a threat to get them to pay some indian group x amount like Florida State did or they was going to declare it a slur.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Gone | Not Forgotten

I would be embarrassed the name washington.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

The FEDS should make Colgate stop making this.
Darlie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

LOL . . I'd seen that sold all over the world, but never in the U S

Closed Thread