Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Nadella threatens to consign Microsoft to a future of desktop obscurity

This is a discussion on Nadella threatens to consign Microsoft to a future of desktop obscurity within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The prevailing wisdom is that Windows Phone is an unmitigated disaster that has failed globally. Microsoft appears to have responded

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:01 AM   #1
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
The prevailing wisdom is that Windows Phone is an unmitigated disaster that has failed globally. Microsoft appears to have responded accordingly, gutting what was left of its phone division with 7,800 layoffs and writing down $7.6 billion of assets acquired in the purchase of Nokia's Devices and Services business.

This comes shortly after last week's announcements that an image acquisition group that was formerly part of the Bing Maps team was being sold to Uber, and that the display ads business was being sold to AOL.

In the mission statement Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella disseminated late last month, he said that there would be "tough choices" ahead. It's not clear just how tough it was to choose to get rid of a division that he reportedly didn't want anyway, but I assume this is what he had in mind.

Today's announcement was paired with another missive from the CEO that continues the trend of buzzword-heavy content-light statements. This affirmed the mapping and advertising changes, and purportedly laid out the new vision for phones.
Analysis: Nadella threatens to consign Microsoft to a future of desktop obscurity | Ars Technica

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspected Virus/Spyware in Win7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Home Edition Here is the dds.txt content: DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01) - NTFS_AMD64 Internet Explorer: 11.0.9600.17496 BrowserJavaVersion: 11.25.2 Run by Scott at 19:07:57 on 2015-01-03 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601.1.1252.1.1033.18.8099.3989 . AV: Microsoft...
sediaz Inactive Malware Help Topics 15 01-23-2015 11:39 AM
Internet Explorer stops responding or runs slow
I have an older laptop with an Intel processor and 4GB of RAM running Vista. I am having issues which seem mainly to be in Internet Explorer and to a lesser extent in other programs as well. There are times when going into Windwos Mail that I get a message at the top of the page that says not...
jackdup Resolved HJT Threads 61 01-03-2015 03:15 PM
help me get rid of pcfixspeed/tech hotline
hi...this thing has whacked my laptop....I tried the stuff you asked for ...the ddr and the gmer.....the ddr wont run saying it cant run in compatibility mode///...and the gmer just shuts down my pc before it finishes///....please help....I have a Toshiba laptop c55a....with windows 8.... this...
tdcool1 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 18 09-12-2014 06:45 AM
down for months
This computer got a virus several months ago. It redirects the browser and doesn't allow me to do a lot of things, so I got frustrated back then and stuck it in the closet. I fired it up this morning, deleted a bunch of programs, and decided to give it another try. Here's the DDS Log: . DDS...
mrcdem Resolved HJT Threads 51 07-05-2012 09:27 AM
Laptop running slow and freezing up
Hello! A few days ago, my laptop froze up entirely and had to be turned off. Since then, there's been nothing but problems. Programs and folders have trouble loading, it runs substantially slower than it ever has in the last 2 years, it's constantly freezing up and not responding, and a specific...
Tommy3131 Resolved HJT Threads 14 02-18-2012 09:29 PM