Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

My rights are more important than yours

This is a discussion on My rights are more important than yours within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. You Tube University of Missouri's assistant director of the Office of Greek Life & Leadership, threatens a student reporter and

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:56 AM   #1
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

University of Missouri's assistant director of the Office of Greek Life & Leadership, threatens a student reporter and then an assistant professor of mass media calls for “muscle” to remove another journalist. Both of these journalists were on public property and had just as much right to be there as the protestors.

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”-- George Orwell, Animal Farm

I'd say that these faculty members should be fired. Legally speaking, they are guilty of inciting, threatening and assault. Also, if I were on the State Board of Education, I'd be looking into just what the students at this university are being taught in their social studies and government courses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Interesting that despite months of protests, pretty much nothing happened until the football team said they would not play Saturday unless the President was gone . . he was out in less than a day . . along with the Chancellor.

Never doubt the power of the football! !

Old 11-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Never doubt the power of the football! !
Or the millions of dollars that it brings in.

I've been following this mess and think that it's been blown all out of proportion. Some even say that the students have been incited by certain faculty for the express purpose of having the school's top leadership removed. When faculty members, including a journalism professor, are seen setting up a perimeter to keep student journalists from state property, where they have as much right to be as anyone, something fishy is going on.

That student journalist with the camera, who was consistently polite and informative, actually has grounds to sue the faculty who organized the students to push him back for violating his civil rights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 AM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
"The Missouri School of Journalism is proud of photojournalism senior Tim Tai for how he handled himself during a protest on Carnahan Quad on the University of Missouri campus." -- Dr. David Kurpius, Dean of the Missouri School of Journalism

Quote:
Near the end of the video, another adult, identified as [assistant professor of journalism] Melissa Click, tells another reporter, "You need to get out," before asking other protesters for help.

"Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?" she asks, adding as the video ends, "I need some muscle over here."

Dean of the Missouri School of Journalism David Kurpius announced Click's resignation on his Twitter account late Tuesday.
Missouri assistant professor resigns from courtesy appointment after confrontation with journalist | Fox News
Old 11-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

I can't blame them for wanting a media free zone . . people do silly things when the cameras turn on and seldom helpfull

Old 11-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
I can't blame them for wanting a media free zone . . people do silly things when the cameras turn on and seldom helpfull
It doesn't matter if they wanted a media free zone or not. They were on public property. The media, or anyone else, had as much right to be there as they did. You can't selectively chose which rights you want enforced.

“It is not just news organizations who have First Amendment rights to make and display videotapes of events — all of us have that right.” Chief U.S. District Judge Harold D. Vietor, Lambert v. Polk County (1989)
Old 11-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Seems to me that there is also a right to privacy . . regardless of what kind of property on is on . . but then I have a bias against news organizations that value sensationalism over fact reporting.

We choose which rights we want enforced all the time . . it's a balancing act

Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRlRAyulN4o

University of Missouri's assistant director of the Office of Greek Life & Leadership, threatens a student reporter and then an assistant professor of mass media calls for “muscle” to remove another journalist. Both of these journalists were on public property and had just as much right to be there as the protestors.

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”-- George Orwell, Animal Farm

I'd say that these faculty members should be fired. Legally speaking, they are guilty of inciting, threatening and assault. Also, if I were on the State Board of Education, I'd be looking into just what the students at this university are being taught in their social studies and government courses.

Your right to swing a fist ends where my nose begins...
Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #9
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

What right to privacy did these people expect? By definition, the main purpose of a protest is to be publicly noticed.

protest: from Latin protestari "to declare publicly," pro- ‘forth, publicly’ + testari ‘assert’ (from testis ‘witness’).
Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

I'm quite the foolish fellow I suppose . . I think it is up to the participants when they want privacy . .

Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #11
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm quite the foolish fellow I suppose . . I think it is up to the participants when they want privacy . .
I'd say that if a mob of protestors want's privacy then they should go home. At home they do have a right to privacy.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

I'd say that their wishes count . .

Closed Thread