Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

More on the Republican fighting with the Tea party folk

This is a discussion on More on the Republican fighting with the Tea party folk within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Thousands of jobs would "disappear pretty quickly" if the Export-Import Bank were to expire abruptly when its charter runs out

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Thousands of jobs would "disappear pretty quickly" if the Export-Import Bank were to expire abruptly when its charter runs out at the end of June, House Speaker John Boehner said on Thursday.

The Ohio Republican has asked Financial Services Chairman Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, to come up with a plan to overhaul or wind down the operations of the bank, which helps finance exports of U.S. products such as jetliners and wind turbines.

"There are thousands of jobs on the line that would disappear pretty quickly if the Ex-Im Bank were to disappear. So I told the chairman he needs to come up with a plan," Boehner told reporters. "Because the risk is that if he does nothing, the Senate is likely to act. And then what?"

Boehner's unwillingness to let the bank's operations abruptly end is at odds with deputies such as Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., who said Tuesday that he supports letting the bank's charter expire.

Many conservative Republicans want to kill the bank outright, saying it finances too many questionable projects and favors some businesses over others. But the bank enjoys sweeping support among Democrats, and other GOP lawmakers support business groups who say it sustains U.S. jobs.
Poor ol' Boehner gets along with the Dems better than he does with the TP. .

TP has found yet another way of damaging the econo9my.

Boehner: Killing Export-Import Bank risks thousands of jobs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

‘Flat-out lie’: Cruz calls McConnell a liar on Senate floor

Quote:
An extraordinary scene unfolded on the Senate floor Friday as Republican Sen. Ted Cruz bluntly accused Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of lying and said he's running the Senate like his Democratic predecessor.

The charges from the Texas senator and GOP presidential candidate were a rare departure from the Senate's usual staid decorum, even for a politician famous for his fiery speeches.

At issue were assurances Cruz claimed McConnell, R-Ky., had given that there was no deal to allow a vote to renew the federal Export-Import Bank -- a little-known federal agency that has become a rallying cry for conservatives. Cruz rose to deliver his remarks moments after McConnell had lined up a vote on the bank.

"It saddens me to say this. I sat in my office, I told my staff the majority leader looked me in the eye and looked 54 Republicans in the eye. I cannot believe he would tell a flat-out lie, and I voted based on those assurances that he made to each and every one of us," Cruz said.

"What we just saw today was an absolute demonstration that not only what he told every Republican senator, but what he told the press over and over and over again, was a simple lie."
Quote:
Senate rules say, "No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator."
Poor lil' Tea Party guys do not understand the Ex-Em Bank so they want to kill one of the few parts of government that makes money . . .

Quote:
But why are they burning their own ships?!!!! Why are they destroying their OWN tea???
asked absolutely no one ever in history! !

‘Flat-out lie’: Cruz calls McConnell a liar on Senate floor | Fox News

Closed Thread