Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Millennials are forcing disruption in the job market

This is a discussion on Millennials are forcing disruption in the job market within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The U.S. job market is constantly changing but now the change is more dynamic and disruptive, says Aaron Hurst, author

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The U.S. job market is constantly changing but now the change is more dynamic and disruptive, says Aaron Hurst, author of "The Purpose Economy."

It's no longer a question of getting a job and staying in it for a long time. "People are changing every couple of years and freelance work is becoming an incredibly large part of the job market," he said. Citing a report from financial software company Intuit, Hurst says freelancers will account for about 40% of the workforce by the end of this decade.

At the core of this change, says Hurst, is the millennial generation, born in 1980. Its members don't want to be tied to one employer, one job. They're willing to work for less money so long as their jobs have meaning and their lives purpose.

Hurst says they will "force the change" because in 10 years millennials will account for about 75% of the workforce."They're starting to become managers, directors, vice presidents and CEOs so as that happens they are starting to build the organizations they want to work in."

Hurst says some companies are already doing a good job appealing to millennials, such as Google (GOOG), Facebook (FB), and Whole Foods (WFM). And online shoe retailer Zappos, now owned by Amazon (AMZN), has taken a more radical approach. Months ago it eliminated job titles and more recently it stopped listing job openings. Instead, it started a new careers site through which job seekers can network with Zappos employees and build relationships.
Interesting . . we are seeing some of this in the market here . .

https://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...165950377.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

As I learned 20 years ago working for someone is not something that is reliable. Freelance work is relying on yourself, not someone else, not the gov. You get an idea and use it to your advantage to support yourself and your family. If you are lucky enough you may be able to support several families or more.

Comes with a price, as does everything.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

I've done both . . Working for a Major International Company let me put three kids thru college and build a comfortable nest egg for retirement. There was a lot of personal satisfaction from rising thru the ranks to where I retired that was rewarding.

Since retirement, I have consulted with a variety of organizations, public and governmental, that allowed me to work with a variety of circumstances at high levels, that was very rewarding. I could not have done that in the early years

Closed Thread