Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Microsoft: Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users

This is a discussion on Microsoft: Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Windows 9 preview is almost here, as Microsoft will unveil the first public build of the upcoming operating system in

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Windows 9 preview is almost here, as Microsoft will unveil the first public build of the upcoming operating system in just a few days, but we have already heard quite a lot of details about this product thanks to people who are more or less familiar with the development plans.

The software giant has remained completely tight-lipped on the Windows 9 work until now, with the exception of Microsoft’s France President, who confirmed that the preview would be unveiled next week, but someone else from within the company now comes with a few more exciting tidbits of information.

Windows 9 would be free for Windows 8 users, Microsoft Indonesia President Andreas Diantoro reportedly said during a recent event, which comes as a confirmation that the company is working to boost early uptake of the new OS as much as possible from the very beginning.
Microsoft: Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users - Softpedia

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I doubt it. I don't think their that kind to just give it to Windows 8 users for free.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

Ditto to that!
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Technically, once you upgrade you are not supposed to use the software that you upgraded from. Thus, if you don't like Windows 9, you technically can't go back to using Win 8.1.

Quote:
the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way -- MS upgrade license agreement
I think they might allow Windows 8.1 users to upgrade for free during a limited time frame, much as Windows 8 was a $40 upgrade for a short time. MS seems to be pretty much set on making Windows 8.x just go away.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Wonder why Apple can rationalize free upgrades to the Operating System but M/S cannot??

Old 09-28-2014, 02:27 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

Quote:
Wonder why Apple can rationalize free upgrades to the Operating System but M/S cannot??
What what WHAT! Old Rich, when did you turn to the DARK SIDE!
Old 09-28-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My little bride is a Apple fan . .

Old 09-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

It would be really nice if the Mac would be low enough that I could purchase one. I'm really upset that we have allowed Microsoft to have such a Monopoly....

I just purchased a NEW Acer Aspire with Windows 7 (thankfully) I tried the Windows 8 with & without toughscreen - hated both.

--- If I want shortcuts to areas, I don't need a separate screen with large icons - I just put a shortcut on my Desktop..- Always have.

Touchscreens are ok for tablets, kindles, etc. - But I don't want on my laptop.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

If it is free, I will get one copy.