Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Microsoft wants you to forget Windows 8

This is a discussion on Microsoft wants you to forget Windows 8 within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Look to Vista for how Redmond will treat Windows 8 as it moves on to the next bright, shiny OS

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Look to Vista for how Redmond will treat Windows 8 as it moves on to the next bright, shiny OS

As talk of the next Windows begins to build and some details of what most are calling for now either Windows 9 or Threshold come into focus, it's worthwhile to take a moment to remember Windows 8.

Because Microsoft will want everyone to forget it. And we will.
Unless the Redmond, Wash. technology company radically changes its habits, it will throw Windows 8 down a memory hole even before the successor ships. Just like it made Vista persona non grata in its official messaging in 2009, it will shove Windows 8 so far into the background that we'll need the Hubble telescope to find it.
Microsoft wants you to forget Windows 8 - Computerworld

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

May it go from your lips to Allah's ears! !

Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

This is quite interesting:

Quote:
if Microsoft offers Threshold free of charge to current Windows 8 users, as many anticipate, 8's decline should be much steeper.
By allowing Windows 8.x users to upgrade to Windows 9 for free, Microsoft would essentially "wash its hands" of Windows 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Good thing I had neither of those........I run Windows 'Mojave'......

Kinda like wandering the desert but you have to carry the camel.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Good thing I had neither of those........I run Windows 'Mojave'......

Kinda like wandering the desert but you have to carry the camel.
I've had no problems with Vista for 7 years. The Mojave experiment just proves that perception is reality or vice versa.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

I use Vista for a couple of years with no issues ( once the service packs came out ) and have 8.1 on one pc for practice. Windows 8 drives pour client base crazy . . just too different from other operating systems

Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Windows 8 was an interesting concept but ms kinda screwed up with that one, I;m sure ms will have win 8 adapted to touch screen devices. Vista go annoying with the confirmation of actions like moving files or deleting files. Ms didn't have their sys requirements right with vista, it ran best with 2 gigs or more of ram. I hope the next os sticks around longer than a few years.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Vista's not too bad but XP was far easier. I've just never gotten into all the features Vista is supposed to have......I don't really need many.

I was really considering Win8 but it sounds like I didn't miss much if MS is dumping it the same as Vista. I might try the next offering from Redmond.....hope they don't go for strike three.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft's help instructions for Windows 8.x don't do them any favors either. I don't know how many times I've read "Swipe from the left of your screen..." That may be fine for the tablet users but MS seems to have forgotten about the Windows 8.x users who use it on a non-touch-screen PC or laptop.

I think this is what people dislike more than anything -- the arrogance of trying to making users change the way they use their computers just because the company decrees it so. Of course, I can sort of see the point in having the option of an interface that's similar to what mobile device users are used to, but to force the interface on desktop users is another thing.

PC sales did decline drastically a few years ago and MS may have thought that the "writing on the wall" was telling them to just scrap the idea of a new PC OS in favor of a mobile one. However, the decline in PC sales has stopped so there is still a large demand for a PC-friendly operating system.

I've been a fan of Stardock since I used Start8 to make my PC feel more like I was running on 7. I notice now that in addition to their Start8 they have another handy little $5 app called ModernMix, which allows you to run "Metro" apps in windows on the Desktop, something I hear MS is going to implement in Windows 9. I really hope that Stardock doesn't lose any business with Windows 9 because they are nice to deal with. They are always incorporating new features and fixing bugs in Start8 based on feedback from their forums. I mentioned a couple of things myself that got put into an update (LOL, I just realized that I sound like a Stardock shill but I'm not -- I just like their program. I feel the same way about John Deere tractors -- I've driven about half the brands out there but I like John Deere the best).
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

A small free book on win 8 for anyone who wants it.
This is MS working to the norm as far as get it right then mess it up, win7 is fine as it is win 8 is like Millenium poorly thought out for the average users.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf w_make92.pdf (1.69 MB, 12 views)

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

whats a win8???? I went 100 percent linux because of win8. Getting tired of every other ms operating system upgrades being bad. first it was winme, then vista, and now win8. which means win9 will be okay but win 10 will be another bad one.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

I've used most of the versions of Windows that have come out, including those silly pre-3.0 tries that were worse than the interfaces we programmed for ourselves and nowhere near what the one Mac user in the Department had.

Windows 8.x isn't that bad when run from the Desktop. Though 7 users can now get the new IE too, that was an improvement (no more having to run 32-bit IE just to post in forums because the most browser spell checkers didn't work with the 64-bit version). The new IE and file manager alone were probably worth the $39 I spent for the upgrade (I got in on the special and got the free Media Center upgrade too).

Windows 8 has a different method of shutting down and boots up a lot faster than 7. And as far as I can tell over the past couple of years it crashes a lot less frequently too. In fact, the OS itself doesn't really crash at all though a single program might. With XP, Vista and 7, an app crash would oftentimes mean a system crash.

I don't like the silly "live" tiles and their overhead but I just turned them all off (along with SkyDrive, now OpenDrive) so these are no problem anymore. I like the new Windows Defender's integration and relative low overhead and the way Defragment now trims SSDs instead of actually trying to defragment them too.

A lot of people still say that they can't run any of their old programs on Windows 8 but I've never found a program that wouldn't run on it. All my old Windows apps will run as well as my dive computer app, which wouldn't even run under Windows 7 unless I booted up virtual XP. I was even playing Sim Ant the other day in DOSBox on My Win 8.x machine.

The only thing I really did not like about 8 was the loss of the Start menu but you can get one back with Start8 or by doing some work with one of the freeware alternatives.

Navigation in the "Metro" apps was a pain with users having to either leave them running or alt-F4 out of them but with 8.1 MS finally put the -x mouse icons back like they should have included in the first place. Note that the "restore down" icon is still missing because "Metro" apps are all full screen. This is something that MS apparently is going to change in Windows 9 but Stardock has a $5 app that already does this.

I think where 8 has mostly failed with PC users is that the look that users first were presented with when it booted up was just too different from what they were used to. Also, once the $39 upgrade special ran out one sort of feels like MS did a "bait and switch" because now most computers ship with the basic version and one has to pay for a "pro pack" and the Media Center separately to get full functionality. Of course, this is no different from those whose comps were shipped with Windows 7 Starter and then wondered why they couldn't do the things other Windows 7 users could.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
Automotive Team

One word that solves ALL windows problem, that I found to be true and works fine

Liniux
Old 09-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen1086 View Post
One word that solves ALL windows problem, that I found to be true and works fine

Liniux
unfortunately, it will not solve all of windows problems. Linux has it's own set of problems that aint always easy to overcome.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Automotive Team

True, but with Linux, at least you can get support and help both here and on Linux Forums, with Microsoft the only place I could ever get help was here, cause contacting M/S is a total waste of time and their M/S Forums is a flame session if your not a programmer
Closed Thread