Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will require Windows 10

This is a discussion on Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will require Windows 10 within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. In a change to its longstanding support policy, Microsoft says PCs based on new CPU architectures, including Intel's Skylake chips,

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
In a change to its longstanding support policy, Microsoft says PCs based on new CPU architectures, including Intel's Skylake chips, will require Windows 10. A list of preferred systems will support older Windows versions on new hardware, but only for 18 months.

Enterprise customers are still the bulwark of Microsoft's Windows business, in both the client and server segments.

Historically, those customers have also been among the most conservative, lagging years behind the latest releases of an operating system release. Those practices have been encouraged by Microsoft's support lifecycle, which offers a generous ten years of support for each Windows release.

Effective today, that policy is changing in a subtle but significant way, with the addition of new hardware requirements for support of pre-Windows 10 releases. The company's also publishing a preferred list of systems that will receive special attention for updates and support.
Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will require Windows 10 | ZDNet

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Well, I just received a Raspberry Pi2 as a gift and am totally shocked at how capable a little credit card sized PC board can be. Other than those necessary utilities disks which always seem to boot into an embedded LINUX system, I have virtually NO EXPERIENCE in LINUX.

That being said, if MS thinks that they have a lock on the world in terms of market share and operability, they are sadly mistaken! I lived through RS-OS, KPRO-Dos, CPM, MS-DOS and DR-DOS and survived quite handily thank you. Between the friendly GUI and command line, I can do so again if MS wants to play hard ball with their (soon to be former) "customers" who elect to switch to LINUX out of EXTREME OUTRAGE & DISGUST. [Sorry Bill!]

I am a chronic hardware early adopter, OS late stage (at least "SP1") implementer. If the powers-that-be at MS think they can change the rules on me (us) at this point, they'd better think again.

Don't want to support my PAID retail license on WIN7 on new hardware until your stated support cycle end? Good luck with that!! There are alternatives and it isn't too late for this "old dog" to learn a few new tricks!

I believe a certain coffee maker company (you know, those little "cups") tried to ram something like this down the throats (pun intended) of their customers and it backfired on them quite miserably!

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Closed Thread