Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Microsoft drops unlimited OneDrive storage after people use it for unlimited storage

This is a discussion on Microsoft drops unlimited OneDrive storage after people use it for unlimited storage within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A little over a year ago, Microsoft announced that paid Office 365 Home and Personal subscribers would get, as part

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
A little over a year ago, Microsoft announced that paid Office 365 Home and Personal subscribers would get, as part of their subscription, unlimited cloud storage on its OneDrive service. Yesterday, the company announced that it wasn't going to do that after all. It turns out that if you offer unlimited storage to people, a few of them actually take you at your word and trust that you are truly offering unlimited storage, and then they start using it.

Explaining the backtracking, the new blog post complains that a small number of paying customers were using OneDrive to store backups of multiple PCs and large collections of movies and TV shows. Some of these outliers used more than 75TB of space, which Microsoft says is 14,000 times the average (putting the average OneDrive user at about 5.5GB).

Instead, paid users will now receive only 1TB of storage, a reversion to the service's previous limit. The company is also removing its old 100GB and 200GB paid plans, replacing them with a 50GB plan at $1.99 a month. Free OneDrive storage is also being cut early next year, from 15GB to 5GB, and there's no more 15GB bonus for storing your camera roll in OneDrive. Going forward, OneDrive users with more than 1TB of data will have a one year grace period during which they can keep their large storage, after which they must cut back to below 1TB. Similarly, free users with more than 5GB of data will have a year after the change is made to reduce their usage to below the 5GB level.
Microsoft drops unlimited OneDrive storage after people use it for unlimited storage | Ars Technica

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UKASH Command prompt Virus help
Hi, I managed to get rid of the original Ukash (cheshire police) virus last year from my computer with help from spyhunter and spybot search and destroy, unfortunately I have encountered a similar virus, this time every safe mode that I log into it gives me a black screen with no toolbars or menus...
DrakeRx Resolved HJT Threads 45 06-08-2013 08:24 AM
My comp won't run out of safe mode
Hello. I am not very good with computers so i will do my best to follow. I recently updated firefox and adobe. It ran, although slow and with freezes. I went into going back to before the install. My fireffox won't run, my computer won't let me do ANYTHING while not in safe mode.:banghead: It...
heartwoman Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 29 09-30-2012 05:14 AM
Repeating virus exorcism on D: after successful on C:
In November I received help in this forum to remove a virus from my computer. The original thread is here. My computer has been running great since. Big thanks to oldman960 for his help in solving the problem. A short recap: after the infection but before posting in November I had just...
Speedicut Resolved HJT Threads 18 05-15-2012 04:39 AM
Need help removing BOO/TDss virus
Hello, I have read the READ THIS FIRST so i hope i get this all right. I have a virus that i believe i got from school and i can't remove it. I have a sony VAIO computer running windows 7 Professional 64bit. Here are the log and zippped file you requested. . DDS (Ver_2011-08-26.01) -...
ovr69 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 25 10-29-2011 05:59 PM
Windows & corrupted ci.dll - start up repair virus
I tried searching around the forums a bit to find a similar issue and if I am re-covering something already covered please forward me along. I am pretty sure I caught a virus as this occured while downloading a file. I am running off of a Windows 64 bit OS. I did a memory diagnostic and it...
solo1906 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 1 05-20-2011 08:23 AM