Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Medical Insurance Sign-up period

This is a discussion on Medical Insurance Sign-up period within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. U.S. officials planned to unveil an improved healthcare insurance website on Sunday they hope will allow the second enrollment period

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
U.S. officials planned to unveil an improved healthcare insurance website on Sunday they hope will allow the second enrollment period under President Barack Obama's health reform plan to avoid the technical meltdown that plagued its launch last year.

The reconfigured HealthCare.gov insurance marketplace will go live Sunday night before a three-month open enrollment period that begins Nov. 15, during which existing policyholders can change their coverage.

Administration officials said on Sunday they will get it right this time, with a website that will make it easier to shop for coverage, and enough computing capacity, call-center help and other resources to handle re-enrollment of all current policyholders.

"We are strongly encouraging our customers to return to HealthCare.gov ... Shop and compare. The majority will be able to save money," particularly those who may have overlooked available federal tax credits last year, said Kevin Counihan, chief executive officer of the federal health insurance marketplace.

New features were added to the website last month, and more will be available by Monday for people to begin shopping for coverage. The actual enrollment period begins Saturday and lasts until February 15.
Quote:
In addition, the website has been revised to include features that users have demanded.

Chief among them is the ability for a potential customer to "window shop" and compare policies after entering only a limited amount of information -- rather completing an extensive questionnaire.

"We believe this will be the most popular place on the site," and perhaps even lighten the computing load by allowing consumers to make up their mind before moving to the more data-intensive process of actually signing up, said Andy Slavitt, a deputy administrator of the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services.

Policyholders will be automatically re-enrolled in existing policies if they don't make changes.

The government website is just one way to sign up . . we went directly to the insurance company for a corporate policy for employees.

U.S. officials hope new HealthCare.gov avoids last year's problems | Reuters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

I was trying to find the most current ACA related thread, and this seems to be the one.

Interesting OOPS by one of the main architects of Obamacare caught live:

Obamacare Architect on ‘the Stupidity of the American Voter’ | The Weekly Standard
Quote:
Obamacare Architect on ‘the Stupidity of the American Voter’

Jonathan Gruber, a key architect of Obamacare (and also of Romneycare), has been caught on camera by the Daily Signal offering up insights on the “stupidity of the American voter” and on the importance of using a noble lie (or lies) in passing Obamacare.
Gruber said of Obamacare:
“This bill was written in a tortured way to make sure CBO did not score the [individual] mandate as taxes. If CBO scored the mandate as taxes, the bill dies.”
President Obama publicly insisted the individual mandate was not a tax, and Obamacare’s own text describes it as a “penalty,” not a “tax.” Yet, by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court held that the mandate was unconstitutional as a penalty levied under the commerce-clause power and could stand only as a tax — albeit a previously unheard-of tax that compels Americans to buy a product or service of the federal government’s choosing in order to avoid having to pay it. It’s an unprecedented federal tax on inactivity.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 11-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Ancient history . . has absolutely nothing to do with this year signups.

Old Calvary saying: "When your horse has died, it is time to dismount"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Vetustior Humo

There's no context to his statements or even attribution of where he said it. Perhaps he was on a panel and the question was: "Please describe the politics behind how the ACA was able to overcome a reluctant group of democratic representatives?" And, the "stupidity" is that we vote for people who don't understand the basic foundation of insurance.

Of course the ACA made for well people (the many) to put in and sick people (hopefully the few) to take out. All insurance is structured that way. All! Not really a difficult concept to grasp.

And remember the people don't pass bills - congress does.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
There's no context to his statements or even attribution of where he said it. Perhaps he was on a panel and the question was: "Please describe the politics behind how the ACA was able to overcome a reluctant group of democratic representatives?" And, the "stupidity" is that we vote for people who don't understand the basic foundation of insurance.

Of course the ACA made for well people (the many) to put in and sick people (hopefully the few) to take out. All insurance is structured that way. All! Not really a difficult concept to grasp.

And remember the people don't pass bills - congress does.
The context is provided in the links in the post, one of which shows the actual statement.

Obamacare Architect Admits Deceiving Americans to Pass Law (Youtube video of event is here)

Quote:
Caught on Camera: Obamacare Architect Admits Deceiving Americans to Pass Law

In a newly surfaced video, one of Obamacare’s architects admits a “lack of transparency” helped the Obama administration and congressional Democrats pass the Affordable Care Act. The conservative group American Commitment posted Jonathan Gruber’s remarks, reportedly from an Oct. 17, 2013, event, on YouTube.

“Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage,” says the MIT economist who helped write Obamacare. “And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass.”
(BOLD MINE)

Rich considers it a dead issue, so I will await new (Republican controlled) congressional action to see if that is indeed the case. It is my fervent hope that the entire catastrophe is SCRAPPED!

My entire extended family has 'opted out' due to existing company plans that have not (YET) been withdrawn. The costs have escalated considerably (85% - 138 % respectively) within the last 2 years though. Still cheaper than what was quoted them for the Obama-crap, when they could finally access the site that is.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

A company sponsored insurance will always be cheaper . . The company picks up a portion of the bill. Now when the companies decide to pass a larger share of the costs to the employees, they blame ACA, which had nothing to do with the move.

For the Millions who did not have access due to pre-existing conditions would beg to differ on your characterization of a catastrophe . . counter to the claims of Rush and Faux News, the people I know personally who bought plans this year are very pleased with their costs and choices. Several were able to retire early and avoid being without insurance while they consulted or worked as contractors. My nurse was able to find a policy that covered her and her girls for a very attractive price without having to go to work at a lower salary in order to have Insurance. We did not use the ACA site for her .. went directly to the Insurance company's site

This is all ancient news . . Thanks to the inability of the Republicans ( much less the Tea Party extremists ) being able to win national elections, it will be available to those who need it for a long time

As far as deception if there was any, when POTUS deceived it enabled millions to purchase health insurance , , when the last POTUS deceived, it costs us 30,000 casualties and 4,000 young lives

Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	JFK_Quote.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	204114

Old 11-11-2014, 03:07 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

We already have two Federal Social Insurance programs, Medicare, Medicaid. We don't need anymore Government Intervention.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenadiver View Post
We already have two Federal Social Insurance programs, Medicare, Medicaid. We don't need anymore Government Intervention.
Amen brother! You are preaching to the converted on this end!

Old 11-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #10
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

We should ask any Canadian how they like their Nationalized health care system.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:34 AM   #11
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Yes we should

Quote:
In 2007, 85.7% of Canadians who received health care services were very or somewhat satisfied with the services they received. This percentage remained stable between 2000 and 2007. Source
Never let facts get in the way of dogma.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sniff test failure . .

Quote:
My entire extended family has 'opted out' due to existing company plans
Any family who is eligible for employee sponsored insurance was not and is not eligible for any of the ACA plans . . They never had the chance to sign up!

We had another poster try to dupe us by saying he decided not to sign up when he was eligible for insurance thru his wife's employer

Old 11-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Tell that to the 8 million who signed up who were not eligible for either of those

Old 11-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
We are talking about insurance . . ACA does not nationalize anything . . the government is out of the picture once you choose your insurance company. From there on, it is between you and the insurance company

Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadsden View Post
I believe the latest footage of Gruber, bragging the intent of the ACA wording was meant to dupe everyone, will not bode well with the upcoming King v. Burwell case in the Supreme Court.
SCOTUS is not likely to base their decision on a blog, with no accountability or credibility.

I do not second guess SCOTUS . . they fooled me with the first ruling on ACA, but if I were to venture a guess, it would be that they say that they caused the situation by invalidating the requirement for all states to expand Medicaid and therefore invalidate the clause that limits reimbursement to those states who have exchanges.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #16
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

My System

Quote:
Old Rich; Tell that to the 8 million who signed up who were not eligible for either of those
Then you fix what is already there.

[quote]Old Rich; We are talking about insurance . . ACA does not nationalize anything . . the government is out of the picture once you choose your insurance company.

Yes we are talking Insurance, lets change Nationalized to Universal health care, It is enforced by law, (The Government), and one is mandated to have insurance.

The Government is out of the picture, as long as you comply, and carry the minimal essential benefits, and if you don't comply, the Government will show up, at the time you file your taxes, and you will need to prove you have adequate coverage, or you get Taxed, oops, I forgot it's not a tax, it's a penalty...

I have insurance, however I work for a Defense Contractor, as of Oct 1st, my employer was mandated to offer Affordable Health Care, so according to the Dept. of Labor, $4.02 per is sufficient to purchase Health Care, I'm not allowed to opt out of the $4.02 per hour pay cut, even though I proved I have health care, and waived it. The Government will allow my employer to deposit the money in my 401k, as long as I meet the health care requirements.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
Old 11-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

SCOTUS red that it was "like a tax"

I'm not about to get into the mechanics of how businesses handle their obligations Yours is clearly an anomily

ACA dos fix the problem of millioms not. Sing able to get medical insurance . . They also got into other areAs as well, but politicians often do that. I have no interest in the welfare aspects of the act . . What aca now covers in the way of assistance is less costly than emergency room costs that we were bearing
Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

At any rate, the intent of this post was not to beat dead horses but to note that this years signup is close . . As is the signups for Medicare

Old 11-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

Out of curiosity . . Is the $4/hr deposited to your 401k matched by the company, or did you just reduce your "normal" contributions ?

How do they handle higher paid employees who are limited in their contributions to a 401k?

Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sheez . . post #19 is a mess of typos . . I would edit it, but we have a poster here who checks his integrity when he logs in and would then claim that I blamed Bush for the Enron failure . .

What I was trying to say when fat fingers clashed with phone keyboard was:

Quote:
SCOTUS ruled that it was "like a tax"

I'm not about to get into the mechanics of how businesses handle their obligations Yours is clearly an anomily

ACA does fix the problem of not being able to get medical insurance for millions. . They also got into other areas as well, but politicians often do that.

I have no interest in the welfare aspects of the act . . What ACA now covers in the way of assistance is less costly than emergency room costs that we were bearing

Closed Thread