Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Medical Insurance Sign-up period

This is a discussion on Medical Insurance Sign-up period within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Old Rich ; Out of curiosity . . Is the $4/hr deposited to your 401k matched by the company, or

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #21
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Quote:
Old Rich; Out of curiosity . . Is the $4/hr deposited to your 401k matched by the company, or did you just reduce your "normal" contributions ?
The $4/hr goes to a third party company, that administers the companies health care, then they deposit the money into the 401k every 30 days, as opposed to every 2 weeks.

The Government does not allow contracted companies to contribute to their employees 401k. I have adjusted my contribution, which is about equal to the $4/hr, so it wasn't a big hit, unlike some of the others in the shop who weren't contributing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #22
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The Government does not allow contracted companies to contribute to their employees 401k
I did not know that . . seems contradictory to their stated goals of maximizing 401k . . but then the government often does contradictory things

Hopefully, the company can straighten out their bookkeeping and avoid the convolutions soon! Seems to me that my company did that once for some reason that escapes me and the legal types made them stop . . caused problems with the higher paid employees who are limited in their contributions ( and thus the company matching )
Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
TSF Team, Emeritus

Obamacare 2015 Sign-Up Under Way With Few Glitches

Quote:
Obamacare’s second year of enrollment began with only scattered glitches, buoying U.S. officials who seek to further reduce the portion of Americans without health insurance.

The federal enrollment system was working well enough that 100,000 people submitted applications on the first day, Nov. 15, U.S. health secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell said yesterday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” It’s a dramatic turnabout from 2013, when healthcare.gov collapsed on its first day of business, costing Burwell’s predecessor her job.

U.S. health officials have reported no technical problems thus far, though some state-run insurance exchanges, including Washington and California, had difficulties. The Obama administration aims to add at least 2 million people to the 7.1 million already enrolled in plans established by the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly known as Obamacare. The enrollment period ends Feb. 15.
Looks like it is pretty smooth so far . .

Obamacare 2015 Sign-Up Under Way With Few Glitches - Bloomberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Hmmm, let's see 7.1 million plus 2 million = 9.1 million enrolled out of a population estimated at 330 million, or 2.7%. So, let's divide that population by three to account for under 18's and married couples. That gives us approximately 8.1% of the total 110 million eligible population at 2 years into the program - sounds like a monumental failure to me!

Correct me if my math is in error.....
Old 11-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #25
TSF Team, Emeritus

. . Certainly not seen as a failure to those who were not able to buy insurance before . .

Those not familiar with the act seem to somehow think it was aimed at the entire population . . it was intended to help the 15% or so who were not able to either buy or could not afford health care insurance . .

As pointed out in post #13, anyone who is eligible for coverage thru an employer or who currently has insurance, is not eligible for ACA.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."

if your numbers are right, they are half way there now!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #26
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
There's no context to his statements or even attribution of where he said it. Perhaps he was on a panel and the question was: "Please describe the politics behind how the ACA was able to overcome a reluctant group of democratic representatives?" And, the "stupidity" is that we vote for people who don't understand the basic foundation of insurance.

Of course the ACA made for well people (the many) to put in and sick people (hopefully the few) to take out. All insurance is structured that way. All! Not really a difficult concept to grasp.

And remember the people don't pass bills - congress does.

What a difference a week makes, eh?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #27
TSF Team, Emeritus

. . and what does any of that have to do with the signup period???
Old 11-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #28
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
. . and what does any of that have to do with the signup period???

Being "Grubered" seems to have a lot to do with sign-ups being very low and a record number of folks disapproving of it.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #29
TSF Team, Emeritus

Dream on . . signups are quite healthy actually We are just in the second day. . You really think that someone who needs health care insurance and could not get it before is going to worry about something a MIT economist says about the process of passing the legislation 6 years ago??

I recall your prediction that no one would sign up . . then 7 million did . . as well as the prediction that the younger folks would not sign up, . yet they did.

Pretty poor track record !

Disclaimer: I did not say that George Bush wrote the ACA
Old 11-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #30
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Dire warnings by Obamacare opponents of dramatically higher insurance premium prices in 2015 are not being borne out nationally, according to new data showing proposed prices are rising moderately, on average, nationally.

While the single-digit average price increases, coupled with a rise in the number of insurers selling Obamacare plans for next year, suggest enrollment could remain fairly strong in the new form of insurance in the short term, questions remain about relative price stability over the long term.

Six states and the District of Columbia already issued approved rates for individual insurance plans in 2015, and the average premium is rising just 2.5 percent, PricewaterhouseCoopers found in its updated report. These plans go on sale Nov. 15.

The average premium in those states—across different price tiers and ages—would be $327 per month. But that average doesn't reflect the effect of federal subsidies that about 85 percent of Obamacare enrollees receive. Those subsidies, which are based on income, can substantially cut actual payments.

And in the 38 states and D.C. that have finalized rates or released proposed rates for such plans, the average premium would rise 6 percent, PwC said. The average premium would be $382 per month, before subsidies are factored in.
Obamacare premiums seen rising 6 percent in 2015.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #31
TSF Team, Emeritus

Posts unrelated to the 2015 signups have been ( and will continue to be ) deleted . .

Stay on topic or have your post deleted
Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #32
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Trying to head off a new round of consumer headaches with President Barack Obama's health care law, the insurance industry said Tuesday it will give customers more time to pay their premiums for January.

America's Health Insurance Plans, the main industry trade group, says the voluntary steps include a commitment to promptly refund any overpayments by consumers who switched plans and may have gotten double-billed by mistake.

Though the HealthCare.gov website is working far better this year, the industry announcement highlights behind-the-scenes technical issues between the government and insurers that have proven difficult to resolve. Last year's enrollment files were riddled with errors, and fixing those has been a painstaking process. As a result, renewing millions of current customers is not as easy as it might seem.

The industry "wants to do everything we can to make sure consumers have greater peace of mind about their health care coverage and support them throughout the open enrollment process," Karen Ignagni, head of the trade group, said in a statement.

The health care law offers subsidized private insurance to people who don't have a health plan on the job. Renewing coverage each year is standard operating procedure for the industry, but 2015 is the first renewal year for the health law. The process involves a massive electronic data transfer from the government to insurers, happening right around the holidays. Insurers then have to use that data to generate new cards for their customers.
Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline
Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #33
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Some 11.4 million Americans enrolled in private health insurance through Obamacare during the open enrollment period, the White House said in a tweet on Tuesday.

"The Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, is working. It's working better than we anticipated, certainly working a lot better than many of the critics talked about early on," President Barack Obama said in a video linked to the White House tweet.

Administration officials have said they expected 9.1 million people to be enrolled in coverage and up to date on insurance payments by the end of the year. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office had predicted 12 million enrollees for 2015.

Last April, the Obama administration announced that more than 8 million people had selected plans for 2014. But by the end of last year, only 6.7 million were still enrolled.

Obamacare's open enrollment period for 2015 began on Nov. 15 and closed on Sunday.

The White House said there had been a surge of applications in the last nine days of enrollment, particularly on Sunday.

"Sunday, February 15 was the biggest enrollment day ever: more new consumers signed up for health coverage than on any day this open enrollment period or the last," the White House said in a statement.
It's been a lifesaver for those wanting to retire but who are not yet Medicre eligible!

Some 11.4 million Americans have enrolled in Obamacare: White House | Reuters
Closed Thread