Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Let's just shoot ourselves in the foot!

This is a discussion on Let's just shoot ourselves in the foot! within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill on Thursday that would block the sale of commercial aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
(Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill on Thursday that would block the sale of commercial aircraft to Iran, a bid to stop sales by Boeing and Airbus that have already been approved by President Barack Obama's administration.

The bill passed the Republican-led House by 243-174 largely along party lines. Eight Democrats joined Republicans in favor. All 174 "no" votes were from Democrats.

The measure would bar U.S. Treasury Department from issuing licenses that U.S. banks would need to finance sales of commercial aircraft, the latest in a series of efforts by congressional Republicans to counteract the international nuclear deal between Iran, the United States and other world powers.
The deals by Airbus and Boeing to sell or lease over 200 jets to IranAir would help modernize and expand the country's elderly fleet, held together by smuggled or improvised parts after years of sanctions.

Although Airbus is based in France, it must have the U.S. Treasury Department's approval for the sale because at least 10 percent of the aircraft's components are American-made.
Looks like what we can expect from the loonies in Congress now that the one of their own in the White House . .

What is the natural outcome? 1.) Boeing loses sales and lays off workers. 2.) Airbus stops buying American parts so that they can compete in the global market without interference from lunatics and US manufacturers lay off workers . .

But by God . . we will have spit in Obamas' eye and put dogma above jobs! What a start to the new administration. Just the beginning!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Yep......MAGA in action. More American Give Aways. Might as well give the rest of our manufacturing jobs to other countries. Airbus will find other suppliers while our workers sit idle.

I think this country is in trouble.......deep trouble. Wait til reality sets in. We still have more than two months before the pres-elect is sworn in. Drain the swamp?? Just making more room for the predators.

Can't wait to see the new budget......

Trump Scores His First Win in Congress
Old 11-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Yep . . pass authority to spend but not fund the expenditures . . then whine to high heavens about the debt that the administration has built up . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

So you're going to blame the Trump administration already? He doesn't get in until the 20th of January you know.

And you think that allowing our companies to make money by selling our wares to our enemy that they will eventually use against us or steal the technology and reverse engineer it.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:55 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Leo , , you owe it to yourself to read posts prior to replying . . Actually, if you read the post, I blamed the loonies in congress . . not the loonie in the White House.

The argument that the sales could be used against us only holds water if we sell to no other country in the world . . Are proposing that we sell nothing outside the US and lose another 8 million or so jobs?

Old 11-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I propose we don't allow sales to sanctioned terrorist states.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

One of the reasons that Iran remains in control of the extremists is the isolation from the rest of the world. Sanctions have not worked for 25 years, yet some maintain that they are the only solution. e.g Cuba

Staggers the imagination!

Old 11-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Trump's pullout of TPP opens way for China

Quote:
An Asia-Pacific trade deal stands almost no chance of working now that U.S. President-elect Donald Trump has pulled the plug on it, proponents of the pact said on Tuesday, opening the way for China to assume the leadership mantle on trade.

Japan and Australia expressed their commitment to the pact on Tuesday, hours after Trump vowed to withdraw from the 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership on his first day in office, calling the deal "a potential disaster for our country."

Trump's declaration appeared to snuff out any hopes for the deal, a signature trade initiative of President Barack Obama, five years in the making and meant to cover 40 percent of the world economy.

The TPP, which aims to cut trade barriers in some of Asia's fastest-growing economies and stretch from Canada to Vietnam, can't take effect without the United States. It requires the ratification of at least six countries accounting for 85 percent of the combined gross domestic product of the member nations.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said "the TPP would be meaningless without the United States," even as parliament continued debating ratification and his government vowed to lobby other members to approve it

Trump's pullout of TPP opens way for China | Reuters

Dogma over economics again. . .

Old 11-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #9

Pulling out of TPP could hurt my company, as we deal with the airline companies themselves and not actually Airbus/Boeing/Embraer just their individual aircraft owned by AA, UA, Quantas etc etc... and opening up the markets in places like Vietnam will be huge (now if we can get into Cuba that will be even huge as well)

Here is hoping his business side takes the lead and sees that TPP is beneficial more than hurtful...
Old 11-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Here is hoping his business side takes the lead and sees that TPP is beneficial more than hurtful...
I suspect he will . . he had to say a lot of things that made no sense in order to appeal to the Lunatic Fringe, but I'm betting that most of them will be forgotten or rebranded into a name that masses muster . . . "TrumpCare" ? ? ?

Old 11-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

By way of example:

Trump won't pursue Clinton probes on email, charity
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump will not pursue investigations against his former Democratic rival for the White House, Hillary Clinton, over her use of a private email server while secretary of state or her family's charity, MSNBC said in a report that a Trump senior adviser did not dispute.

During their bitter presidential campaign, the Republican Trump vowed to jail Clinton and crowds at his rallies chanted "Lock her up." He now believes she "has been through enough," MSNBC reported on Tuesday, citing an unidentified source.
Trump won't pursue Clinton probes on email, charity: aide indicates | Reuters

Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
By way of example:

Trump won't pursue Clinton probes on email, charity
I'm sure he won't discourage the Congress from performing that messy, albeit necessary duty. No one should be above the law, and many have been prosecuted and imprisoned/fined for far less.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 11-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
many have been prosecuted and imprisoned/fined for far less.
Of course, the FBI would disagree with that, but let's not let facts get in the way of a mindless rant . . .

Old 11-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Of course, the FBI would disagree with that, but let's not let facts get in the way of a mindless rant . . .
Perjury is a crime - yet it is documented she's done it repeatedly with impunity. But let's not consider facts, when the mind(less) is already made up!

Why is it that many people that have been granted full immunity still resort to the 5th Amendment?? That seems to be quite an oxymoron to me....

Old 11-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Not sure what the laws are in your country, but in the US, criminality is decided by a jury . . so far, there are not even any charges, let alone a trial or convection.

We are strange in this I guess . .

I admit to this fault of believing the FBI when they say that they granted immunity in order to have access to the facts, which did not result in a finding of criminal activity.

There are many reasons to want to avoid testifying to a Legislative inquiry,

Old 11-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sorry . . just recovered from a laughing fit over the idea that Congress would "do it's duty" . .

Old 11-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Actually the jailed/fined for less part is true... there are a few military officers in jail for actually accidentally mishandling classified material.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
there are a few military officers in jail for actually accidentally mishandling classified material.
Comey said that that was not true . . got links?

Old 11-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Not sure what the laws are in your country, but in the US, criminality is decided by a jury...
Actually in this messed up country, the person who was harmed by the act of perjury has to apply to the local police to have it "investigated!" I had it happen twice, and the police have NEVER investigated perjury in their history to my knowledge!! This despite voicemail recordings left on my phone in the perjurer's own (identified) voice proving the perjury.

In fact, who is the aggrieved party in cases of perjury? Is it not the Court/Congress that the false sworn testimony has "offended?" There is a charge known as "contempt of Court" or "contempt of Congress" which surely applies here.

"
What difference at this point does it make??" - Hillary Clinton

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/jul/19/ron-johnson/what-you-need-know-about-hillary-clintons-infamous/

Old 11-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Comey said that that was not true . . got links?
A Look at Federal Cases on Handling Classified Information | Military.com

https://usuncut.com/politics/clinton...uble-standard/

10 Times People Were Punished For FAR Less Than What Hillary Clinton Did

Just the first 3 results of my search....

Closed Thread