Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

isis in Australia

This is a discussion on isis in Australia within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Stay safe guys... https://m.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30473983

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Stay safe guys...

https://m.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30473983
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Siege is over but not without a sad outcome.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

We have become used to that kind of incident here in the U S where any damn fool can legally posses a weapon, but fortunately, it is a much more rare occurance in the civilized world

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
We have become used to that kind of incident here in the U S where any damn fool can legally posses a weapon, but fortunately, it is a much more rare occurance in the civilized world
A felon can legally own a gun? Someone under the age of 21 can legally own a handgun? Someone guilty of a domestic violence offense can legally own a gun? Someone with a stolen gun can legally posses it? Someone with a restraining order against them can legally own a gun?

Please clarify your response please
Old 12-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Siege is over but not without a sad outcome.
From my understanding several Aussie snipers had clear shots at the turd, but never got authorization to take the shot...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post
A felon can legally own a gun? Someone under the age of 21 can legally own a handgun? Someone guilty of a domestic violence offense can legally own a gun? Someone with a stolen gun can legally posses it? Someone with a restraining order against them can legally own a gun?

Please clarify your response please
Until this country passes a universal background check law, All any of them have to do is go to a gun show or online and buy from an unlicensed private individual.

Of course as long as the NRA owns Congress . . that ain't gonna happen!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:

Until this country passes a universal background check law, All any of them have to do is go to a gun show or online and buy from an unlicensed private individual.
That would be illegal for the purchaser to do...
Old 12-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

According to the Justice Department, hands and feet are used in violent crime more often than guns and knives and blunt objects as often as guns. Background checks are in place for the vast majority of gun purchases and are usually performed at gun shows too. I've not been to a gun show in over a decade where they did not call to check the background of a purchaser. One reason for this is that most of the sellers are FFL dealers. Further background checks are not going to stop gun violence as most of it is not perpetuated by people who purchase firearms for legitimate purposes.

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Weapon Use

Old 12-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post
That would be illegal for the purchaser to do...
yep . . but why kind of deterrent would that be to someone planning to killing 30 or so school children ? It should be illegal for the seller !

Old 12-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
According to the Justice Department, hands and feet are used in violent crime more often than guns and knives and blunt objects as often as guns. Background checks are in place for the vast majority of gun purchases and are usually performed at gun shows too. I've not been to a gun show in over a decade where they did not call to check the background of a purchaser. One reason for this is that most of the sellers are FFL dealers. Further background checks are not going to stop gun violence as most of it is not perpetuated by people who purchase firearms for legitimate purposes.

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Weapon Use

Can't recall the last time someone killed 30 people with his hands and feets

There are always reasons to do nothing

Old 12-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Mass killings get a lot of media attention but are not really very common compared to "everyday" crimes of violence. In the past decade, 452 people were killed in what one would call a mass or rampage shooting. In 2011 alone there were 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

. . as I said . . there is always a reason to do nothing . . If just one of those 452 killings had been stopped because someone who had no business with a weapon had been stopped, the law would be worth it.

Hell . . the NRA itself proposed exactly that law not so long ago, but because the Dems want to do what the Reps do not have the collective cajones to do ( once again ) they are now against it . . it infringes on no ones rights . .

I guess we can stop screening incoming visitors? . . most do not mean us any harm!

No need for Photo ID's to vote . . most people are who they say they are . .

Old 12-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #13

Quote:
. . as I said . . there is always a reason to do nothing . . If just one of those 452 killings had been stopped because someone who had no business with a weapon had been stopped, the law would be worth it.

Hell . . the NRA itself proposed exactly that law not so long ago, but because the Dems want to do what the Reps do not have the collective cajones to do ( once again ) they are now against it . . it infringes on no ones rights . .

I guess we can stop screening incoming visitors? . . most do not mean us any harm!

No need for Photo ID's to vote . . most people are who they say they are . .
If just one terrorist attack can be stopped we should torture...

If one crime can be stopped you should let police search your home anytime they want...
Old 12-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

How would torture stop a crime ?

The better allegory would be if the police were allowed to search my home with reasonable cause and a search warrent, but could not search my neighbor home under the same requirement

What possible harm can be done by extending community n sense rules?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:

What possible harm can be done by extending community n sense rules?
That now in WA I cannot hand a gun to my brother without a background check... and then to hand it back to me we would have to get another background check...
Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Gone | Not Forgotten

Lets get back to the topic at hand.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #17
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

One is never going to be perfectly safe, Even in a "perfect" society accident and disease have a good chance of getting you before you die of old age. When you give up your rights in the name of safety and security you end up in a police state. History has shown this time and again. History has also shown that the most controlled states are oftentimes the most likely to be overthrown in revolutions or suffer other internal collapse.

Any population needs diversity in order to survive. In biological populations genetic diversity helps ensure the survival of the species (but doesn't necessarily guarantee it, as an entire species can and have been wiped out in cosmic events). Societies act in much the same way. When we allow power and weapons to be possessed only by an officially sanctioned few then the populace as a whole becomes weaker. Such a weak populace is prone to enslavement either by an outside aggressor or by its own "protectors."

The best societies are those who are guarded by citizen soldiers, not professional armies. This is why I think that the US should have a national service. In this two-year service all able-bodied young people of sound mind would be trained in some area that enhances peace and prosperity of the nation. This need not be per se military but basic discipline and marksmanship should be a component. In return for this service special federal grants, loans and other programs would be opened up to the participants. I traded six years of service for about the same number of years of education and have never regretted it. I've also never regretted being able to take care of myself and others in emergency situations (and I don't mean by just pulling out a gun either, I became a highly-trained emergency services officer and my military training as a combat medic was the beginning of this).
Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Kinda like changeling the DUI laws to exempt anyone who got drunk from drinking whiskey that was not bought at a liquor store

Old 12-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #19
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I find it hard to agree with torture and with thinking it is ok to do so, saying the end justifies the means is never correct, nor is having a police state.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread