Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Hillary said that the Marines wouldn't take her

This is a discussion on Hillary said that the Marines wouldn't take her within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It seems that in this day and age when the military are considered home town heroes that it's politically expedient

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

It seems that in this day and age when the military are considered home town heroes that it's politically expedient to have any association with them that you can.

Hillary Clinton claims that, at age 26, she tried to join the Marines but was told “You’re too old, you can’t see and you’re a woman” and refused. This was supposedly in 1975. She had a law degree at the time.

Does this ring true to any of you former Marines? I can't see for crap, yet when I talked to a recruiter in 1976 he told be that they would just about take anyone who applied since they were so understrength.

I was a 17-year-old kid halfway through one semester of college but I was given a choice of any branch of service and MOS I wanted, other than pilot or special forces, which required better eyesight. There was a girl who rode with us to the recruiting station. She was a waitress in her mid-twenties who hadn't even graduated high school but tested well and was immediately accepted into the Marines.

I don't think that Hillary would have been turned down if she had applied to be a JAG officer in any branch of the service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-the-marines/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Could be partially true......partially. People do crazy things if a relationship is under stress.......a friend of mine joined the Marines after being jilted by his girlfriend. Another friend joined a motorcycle gang and abandoned all his religious convictions (choir boy) after being jilted. Perhaps she was having trouble in her relationship with Bill......just a thought.

Eyesight I can attest to.......the Army wouldn't take me in '72 when Nam was still going on and would go another 3 years. I scored 98/100 on their little "aptitude test"......I was thinking maybe NCO for me. Up until I was declared 4F I was thinking of heading to the Navy recruiter's office and follow family tradition. Oh, I didn't try to enlist.......the reason for the physical was due to being drafted.

If (big if) she had tried to enlist and was turned down, the recruiting officer was not doing his job. Back then our armed forces were pretty much dominated by men........some may not have liked the idea of women joining their ranks and tried to dissuade women from joining for any reason. Hillary may have been rejected due to personal bias of the recruiting officer.

You also have to look at the time......Nam had just ended and our servicemen were coming back home. I'm not sure how many real job opportunities existed in the Armed Forces at that time......they should have been striving for peace-time numbers.

I do agree with the "Two Pinocchios", though..........
Old 11-13-2015, 05:37 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

The corps was going thru one of its Locust cycles about then . . Force reduction following Nam. There was two guys sent home because of eyesight when I went in.

We had a Gunny who used glasses to read . . He tried to conceal and rarely put them on if anyone was around. Looked a bit like Harry Potter glasses. I was long gone from the Corps by '75

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

ps. . . there is no such thing as a "Former" Marine . . .

Old 11-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post

You also have to look at the time......Nam had just ended and our servicemen were coming back home. I'm not sure how many real job opportunities existed in the Armed Forces at that time...
I think that you could have "written your own ticket" were you a lawyer wanting to join the service anytime from 1975 to 1990. I know that we were really short on medics, at least.

The Army was so short-handed on medics that I was "farmed out" to other units because regulations required a medic for operations and I was the only unmarried one who didn't mind being shipped off to who knows where. When I went home on what was supposed to be "terminal leave" I was recalled for a field maneuver. Then when I was in college, I was recalled to active duty again, though when I went to sign in they told me that the political situation had changed and they didn't need me any more (that was during the Iran hostage situation). I was sort of on "pins and needles" for a couple of years after that until I got my actual discharge.

My great uncle flew in WWII and was recalled for Korea. After that, he figured that he might as well just stay active since they were just going to keep recalling him anyway. He eventually retired as a bird colonel.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Point noted, Marine.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
To quote a T-shirt I saw recently:

Not So Lean
Not So Mean
Still A Marine
Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I'm wondering how much of this is Hilary trying to lose her reputation from when Bill was in office, there was quite a few reports of 'The Clintons' being downright rude to the assigned 'Ceremonial Guard' marines, or just ignoring them altogether as if they didn't exist.

They seemed to 'extremely dislike' anyone in uniform in their 'space' back then, I can't see her changing her spots that much nowadays, except for being a band-wagon to jump on to get the top-seat.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 11-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Chelsea was on the phone with friends from Sidwell Friends school when she said, “Oh, I’ve got to go. The pigs are here.” When the agent retorted that his job was “to stand between you, your family, and a bullet,” Chelsea reportedly replied, “Well, that’s what my mother and father call you.”-- 'The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House' by Kate Andersen Brower. 320 p. Harper.
Conversely, the British Royals oftentimes act more like normal people. I've got a lot of respect for the princes and prince-regents who have served their country since WWII, and not just in ceremonial positions either.

Quote:
Prince Philip is recorded acting like a normal person by mixing cocktails and drinking with White House butlers.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #10

I would have refused her for service to... she aint quite right in the head, too volatile, especially if she went into the JAG corps...

But what difference does it make now?
Old 11-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Lawyers in the Corps have to go through NLROTC, PLC or OCS (10 weeks if not an Academy Grad or PLC member) prior to Commissioning. Hillary would have never survived.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post
I would have refused her for service to... she aint quite right in the head, too volatile, especially if she went into the JAG corps...

But what difference does it make now?
If someone was refused service because "they ain't quite right in the head," do you really want them as US president?

If someone fabricated a tale about their trying to go into the service, do you want a liar for US president? Of course, that might be a rhetorical question given the truthfulness of most US presidents.

If someone makes a show attempt at signing up but has no real intention to do so just to promote a certain agenda, do you really want such a person as US president?

If someone, as a presidential spouse, routinely derided their military and civilian security as "pigs," do you want that person as president? I'd hate to have a kid in the military under such a president.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

I don't always look for what teenage girls say about their parents when deciding who to vote for, but when I do, I make sure to include the statements by those making money from sensational statements about former employers!

What little I know abut her, I would not be surprised if her attempt to enlist was somehow related to her active role in women's rights. She seems pretty devious.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Prince Philip is recorded acting like a normal person by mixing cocktails and drinking with White House butlers.
. . . sometimes with clothes on . .

Old 11-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #15
Automotive Team

I lived in Arkansas and worked at Whitewater lad development as a heavy equipment operator when I was a kid, I remember Bill, Jennifer, and my site supervisor getting stoned on his truck, I remember Hillary there with her girlfriend making out, I remember Bill telling everybody Hillary entire life history, but I don't remember anything about her trying to join the marines, But by that time she was already a lawyer and a total lieing Bit** already

Oh....Old Rich.....in the 70's she didn's give a rats behind about women's rights, unless there was money in it for her
Old 11-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #16
Vetustior Humo

Getting into any service as an officer is something of a crap shoot. If you're limited to one particular field - in this case JAG - then it's even more of a long shot. It depends a great deal on what they need at that very moment. Maybe they were full up with JAG candidates that month? Who knows the reason.

And like Drew said "What difference does it make now?"
Old 11-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
Maybe they were full up with JAG candidates that month?
According to former JAG officers serving at the time they were under-staffed and desperate to find qualified applicants.

From personal experience, I know that just about every halfway-intelligent soldier at the time was given the option of going to OCS, including women. My commanding officer in AIT was a woman.

Quote:
"Mrs. Clinton offered the story to illustrate how far women had come. She said that "it was not an isolated situation" for women to be turned away by military recruiters. And she lauded efforts to bring women into more aspects of military service."
This seems to have been her agenda. However, once again, from having served in the military just after the draft ended, I know for a fact that they were taking any qualified applicant, male or female, that they could find. In AIT we had a quite a few females training with us and in permanent party there were hundreds of women serving in the support units. In my TMC alone we had four women medics. Though they couldn't serve in the line units this didn't stop them from working at Divarty headquarters.

Quote:
In August 1972, all military occupational specialties opened to WAC officers and enlisted women except those that might require combat training or duty.

The advent of the All-Volunteer Force in 1973 made a large difference in the numbers of women coming into the Army. As a result of recruitment and greater opportunities, the total number of women in the Army increased from 12,260 in 1972 to 52,900 in 1978.
If she tried to join the military in 1975 then she didn't try very hard.
Closed Thread