Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Head of Veterans Administaration Resigns

This is a discussion on Head of Veterans Administaration Resigns within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok Shinseki resigned, that made a lot in congress happy [SIZE="7"] BUT[SIZE="4"] has that fixed the problem? No it has

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
Automotive Team

Ok Shinseki resigned, that made a lot in congress happy
[SIZE="7"] BUT[SIZE="4"] has that fixed the problem?
No it has not, now I find myself associated with a place that needs a new person in charge, MY hope is they hire somebody with a set betwen their legs to look a person who is NOT doing their job properly in teh eyes and fire them.
I offer my services to run teh VA, I have no suit and tie experience, but I PROMISE right here and now thing WOULD CHANGE!, for the better, or at least to being true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

Good riddance, him sitting high and mighty, VA executives getting bonuses on the deaths of veterans... He deserves to be fired... out of a canon into the sun
Old 05-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

wolfen1086: You mention the need for cojones however the job description doesn't give the individual whoever gets the job the power to hire, fire and discipline effectively.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
wolfen1086: You mention the need for cojones however the job description doesn't give the individual whoever gets the job the power to hire, fire and discipline effectively.

This may shed a little light....

Quote:
The newly released records show that in Baltimore, which has the nation’s longest wait times for veterans’ claims, taxpayers covered $372,674 in salary costs in 2012 for a clinical dietetic technician, a patient-services assistant, a health technician, a medical-support assistant, and two nurses to spend all their time at work on union issues and none of it working with veterans.
While Vets Wait, VA Employees Do Union Work | National Review Online

Bold mine
Old 05-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

I went to the VA one time after discharge and said "Never again !" It was a nightmare in '63 and it is apparently a nightmare now. Doctors were affordable then so I went to private doctors until I went to work and was covered by group insurance.

Now that ACA is law of the land and firmly established, why not move vets to ACA and pay the premium for treatment of all issues other than PTSD and Rehab from Combat wounds? Maybe even privatize that??

Old 05-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
I did not know that! ! Amazing

Old 05-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

The insinuation can be made but what union business was being conducted?? I need to see what these people were actually doing that constitutes 'union business'. As usual, the editor of NRO is affiliated with The Heritage Foundation.

I worked with union stewards but only a small fraction of their wages went toward 'union business'......they had to work just the same as any other carpenter. I guess since they were union representatives their entire wage could be chalked up to 'union business'.......at least that's what the Tea Party would have you believe. This is probably nothing more than a misrepresentation of facts.......Tea Party is pretty good at that.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
The insinuation can be made but what union business was being conducted?? I need to see what these people were actually doing that constitutes 'union business'. As usual, the editor of NRO is affiliated with The Heritage Foundation.

I worked with union stewards but only a small fraction of their wages went toward 'union business'......they had to work just the same as any other carpenter. I guess since they were union representatives their entire wage could be chalked up to 'union business'.......at least that's what the Tea Party would have you believe. This is probably nothing more than a misrepresentation of facts.......Tea Party is pretty good at that.
Quote:
the job description doesn't give the individual whoever gets the job the power to hire, fire and discipline effectively.
It's pretty well documented that if a union is involved, little, if any discipline or firing will take place.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
It's pretty well documented that if a union is involved, little, if any discipline or firing will take place.
I've heard folks with no managerial experience say things like that . .

List of players and coaches suspended by the NFL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Administrator
TSF Manager

Not in my union.....I was UB of C&J for many years. You do your job or lose it. Where's the documentation of lack of discipline?? If it's well documented you should have no problem with proof.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
I guess since they were union representatives their entire wage could be chalked up to 'union business'
Sounds kinda right from the garbage spewed by Tea People....maybe 5% of the time representing union interests will be chalked up to an entire salary.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

SABL reference UB of C&J
For the uninitiated, United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Administrator
TSF Manager

That be it...we got nothing more than a fair wage. I retired through OC Pension Fund....if not for protection I would be living in a cardboard box or pushing daisy's. I'm most fortunate that some people knew what was going on.....SS would not be there for me. A portion of my wages was set aside to provide for me when I became older.....I am not on any type of government program. I made my way when I was a young man......

Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Gone | Not Forgotten

Why not Social Security too?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 AM   #15
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
Why not Social Security too?

BG
I'm getting around to it.....should have applied in February when I turned 62.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
I went to the VA one time after discharge and said "Never again !" It was a nightmare in '63 and it is apparently a nightmare now. Doctors were affordable then so I went to private doctors until I went to work and was covered by group insurance.

Now that ACA is law of the land and firmly established, why not move vets to ACA and pay the premium for treatment of all issues other than PTSD and Rehab from Combat wounds? Maybe even privatize that??
What would Obama care fix? Other than, as you put it, shift the cost to vets over benefits earned and deserved?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Move the medical care from the inefficiencies of the VA to private care . . Their premiums could be partially or completely paid by government

Old 06-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

There would not be any cost shift . . and they would be able to choose their doctors

Old 06-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #19
Vetustior Humo

Wise man once said:

"You can't fix a process problem by changing people and you can't fix a people problem by changing processes."

He was in the position long enough to have made it better. He should have known about the fraud being committed at the hospitals. But I cannot believe that all of the veterans caught up in that mess just sat idly by and waited those weeks. That none of them ever called their representative for assistance in resolving a problem.

From personal experience, when I friend was getting the run around from the VA, I called my congressman's office and got the name of the person in the office that deals with veteran issues - every office has one - and had them talk. Turns out the local Rep couldn't help (his case was being handled out of a VA in his home state) but did make a call to his counterpart in that rep's office who called my friend that afternoon.

So this being a surprise to congress doesn't pass the sniff test. They are, after all, supposed to oversee that the laws they pass are implemented. WIKI
Old 06-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

Senate to Take up New VA Bill After Scandal

Quote:
The bill would allow veterans facing long delays to seek care outside the VA, at private doctors' offices, military bases or community health centers. It also authorizes emergency funding to hire new doctors and nurses and would provide scholarships or forgive college loans for doctors and nurses who go to work at the VA. In addition, it would give the department authority to fire poor-performing executives, but not as broadly as a bill passed in the House and defeated in the Senate last month.

An earlier version of Sanders' bill did not have enough support to pass in February.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said Sunday that the key to fixing the problem was giving veterans the flexibility to get the care they need at the closest, most available place.

"And that's the solution to this problem is flexibility to the veteran to choose their health care, just like other people under other health care plans have the — are able to do," McCain, a Vietnam veteran, said on CBS' Face the Nation. "Why doesn't that veteran have a card and go to the caregiver that he or she needs and wants?"
Bold mine

Senate to Take up New VA Bill After Scandal - ABC News

Closed Thread