Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Eminent Domain

This is a discussion on Eminent Domain within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is rather disturbing and shows which way our state governments are heading. Excercising eminent domain for public works such

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:30 AM   #1
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

This is rather disturbing and shows which way our state governments are heading. Excercising eminent domain for public works such as highways, water reservoirs, etc. by our government/s can be bad enough but these projects are needed. It seems that the lawmakers in Nebraska have extended the right of eminent domain to large corporations for projects that are not truly needed by the citizens and are only for company profit.

Quote:
The lawsuits came from seven landowners in Holt and York counties who have received written warning that pipeline developer TransCanada plans to file eminent domain papers before Jan. 22 to gain access to their land.
Quote:
The lawsuits seek a court order to strike down a 2012 Nebraska law that allowed the project to move forward, and to prevent TransCanada from using eminent domain.
What type of back-room deal was made and by whom??

Nebraska Opponents of Keystone XL Reignite Legal Fight - ABC News
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Vetustior Humo

I'm embarrassed to say that we set the precedent on this. Wiki

The irony is that the purpose was to build a hotel complex to bring people and jobs to New London. As might be expected that never materialized and the property sits undeveloped to this day.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Administrator
TSF Manager

They went through with it. Nothing like our politicians setting up laws allowing a business in another country to take a homeowner's land.

Yep.....the Tea People are protecting our rights......

Keystone XL owner files eminent domain proceedings for Nebraska land
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Can you imagine the Hell that would ensue if the Koch Bro's were paying off the Dems instead of the Reps, and a foreign company tried to declare Eminent Domain here in order to secure a route to a export port to sell their oil ! ! ! ! ! !

Old 02-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I've seen one town considered using it to shut down a business that was paying their employees way above minimum wage in order to build a retail center where they would put more people to work but at minimum wage.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
I've seen one town considered using it to shut down a business that was paying their employees way above minimum wage in order to build a retail center where they would put more people to work but at minimum wage.
Seems to be the American way.......sad. In many back-rooms of government buildings across the USA special deals are made and laws enacted to favor some businesses. If a deal can't be made, dark money comes into play and smear campaigns are initiated to oust the reps who know a bad deal when they see one.

Welcome to the land of the free.......some have a little more freedom than others.