Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Educating the voters

This is a discussion on Educating the voters within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is too much.......but it is a common tactic of twisting the truth. Issue 6 increases property taxes for Franklin

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

This is too much.......but it is a common tactic of twisting the truth.

Quote:
Issue 6 increases property taxes for Franklin County residents by 105%," the flyer reads, "hurting the disabled and elderly who own their homes but live on fixed incomes.
Sounds good.....who wants their taxes increased??

Then comes the truth......

Quote:
In fact, the entire property tax bill does not double – rising only $23 per year on a $100,000 home.
That's some pretty good propaganda!!

Koch Brothers Mailer Has Zoo Supporters Roaring Mad | WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

Good thing I live in Licking County.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
Administrator
TSF Manager

I'm in Delaware.....

But, if I lived in Franklin I would consider voting for the levy......for being a cow town Columbus does have a nice zoo.

The absolute lie that was made about the levy is what got me. But, those who wasted the money on the flyers still stand by their math.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Troubled

What am I missing here?

Quote:
Currently, Franklin County residents pay about $21 a year on a home valued at $100,000. If the issue is approved, that would double to about $44 a year for the same valued home.
Fact Or Fiction: What You Need To Know About Columbus Zoo Levy - WCMH: News, Weather, and Sports for Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Based on property value data from the Franklin County Treasurer’s Office, passage of the Issue 6 zoo tax hike would increase the average Franklin County resident’s taxes in support of the zoo from roughly $29 to roughly $59 — an increase of around 105 percent.
Levy Would Double Columbus Zoo Taxes for Franklin County Residents

Quote:
But is that enough to win passage of a permanent levy that would cost taxpayers twice what they’re now paying?
Voters will decide when they cast ballots on May 6 on Issue 6, the 1.25-mill levy that would replace the current 0.75-mill property tax. The new levy would cost homeowners about $44 a year per $100,000 of property value; the current levy, which expires in 2015, costs $21 a year.
Zoo’s levy request spurs comparisons | The Columbus Dispatch

Bold mine.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
It's also fiction that the levy will double a taxpayer's entire tax bill.
Bold mine....

Why the lies?? Your missing the main lie that property taxes will double.....and was emphasized 4 times in the flyer. Absolute Tea Party propaganda.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Bold mine....

Why the lies?? Your missing the main lie that property taxes will double.....and was emphasized 4 times in the flyer. Absolute Tea Party propaganda.

I guess I am missing something. I'm not trying to be argumentative but everything I read and posted says the taxes double. There were plenty more articles I didn't post that said the same thing.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Troubled

Is your point with the word "entire"?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Gone | Not Forgotten

I am not going to vote for it, as I live in Franklin County. I have not been to the zoo in
10+ years. Let them raise the price of admission/parking if they want more money.

Plus the zoo is not in Franklin county, it is in Delware county.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadsden View Post
Is your point with the word "entire"?
Correct......the insinuation that your property taxes will double. Only if you read the fine print do you realize that that the increase is rather small. Pretty good misleading tactic......

Yep, the zoo is in Delaware county. Not much room in Franklin for a zoo the caliber of what we have. Not sure of the population of Delaware county when the zoo was created but when I built my house the population was ~45,000. Plenty of room for growth.

BG may do as he pleases.....I don't visit the zoo very often but would support the levy. I don't use police or fire services very often, either.....but still support those programs. I don't mind a few dollars to preserve wildlife and provide enjoyment for others. Works good for educational purposes, too.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

The issue is that it raises the portion of the tax for the zoo by 105%, not the entire package.

And the proponents will argue that the zoo is in Delaware County, but Delaware misses out on the revenues since the land is the City of Columbus.

And I would vote for it since it is likely the 2nd most notorical thing in Columbus
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
Troubled

Well, I agree that the flyer was misleading but have to say...out of all the things said and done on a daily basis by groups or politicians of any flavor...this ranks pretty near the bottom of the list as far as devastating.

I'm thinking it might have been more about the Koch bros and not the wording of the flyer....yes?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
Administrator
TSF Manager

No clue......what does the Koch bros have to do with a local levy and why are they concerned?? This is a local matter that needs to be decided by the voters with no outside influence.

I don't follow the Koch bros....maybe I should read up on them??
Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Troubled

A group funded by Koch...Ohio's chapter of Americans For Prosperity was behind the flyers, so it sounds as if the group is Ohio based and have an interest in Ohio stuff.
I doubt the Koch's keep track of the daily stuff like this.

You are correct, no need to follow the Koch brothers as they rank number 59th in political donors.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #14
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
I don't follow the Koch bros....maybe I should read up on them??
If you're interested in following the money behind many, many political initiatives, then I would encourage you to read up on them. They fund political campaigns and initiatives from the local to the federal level in almost every State in the nation.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
Administrator
TSF Manager

The levy was soundly defeated.......looks like the deception worked. A homeowner would pay $44 per $100K of property value.....less than $4 a month. I spend more than that on a trip to my wine cellar.

The levy would have allowed the construction of a downtown facility.....and created more jobs. The impact would have been an influx of ~$250 million to the local economy. Killing the levy is real prosperity.........
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
Gone | Not Forgotten

Feel free to send the Colubus Zoo a $100.00 or so ayear for a service you may never use. I sure Jungle Jack will will use it.

The levy was defeated like 70%.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
Administrator
TSF Manager

Yep.....70%. Nothing but propaganda from an outside source that wants to undermine our country.

I will be more than happy to send Jack $100 a year....if it improves the local economy. Pinch your pennies and watch Columbus die.....it's the Tea Party way.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
Troubled

Here's a different look at it...

Home

A couple of things...
Do you need three zoos?

Seems like some great work if you can get it...

Quote:
Zoo management hasn't been a good steward of taxpayer funds. In the three year period since 2009 when expenses were $45,451,888, zoo expenses have risen to $56,689,899 in 2012, an increase of almost 25%, well above any consumer price index. According to the zoo's most recent available federal tax form, it paid seven employees in 2012 compensation totaling $1,883,732, an average of $269,104 per person. One person even received a severance package totaling $254,740. Including severance, the CEO was paid $533,315 (most recent IRS form 990 for 2012).
(same link as above)

This was all the fault of the Tea Party? No democrats or independents voted against it? I read a few stories when you first made the post and it sounded like lots of locals were against it as the tax money should be used for other things, not another zoo. Defeated by 70% is a lot for it to be the fault of the Tea Party.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
Gone | Not Forgotten

Feel free to always blame the tea party.

It was voted down for probably the same reason tax payer voted down the Arena area. Tax payers are not going to fund an entertainment venue.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Closed Thread