User Tag List

D-Day

This is a discussion on D-Day within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just about now, 70 years ago, a bunch of very brave guys were climbing into planes and setting sail to

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Just about now, 70 years ago, a bunch of very brave guys were climbing into planes and setting sail to participate in the greatest invasion ever!. I had two Uncles, one in a Martin B-26 Marauder flying a bombing run over Pas d Calais ( although he did not know it was D-Day until he returned to base and another engaged in the Battle of Peleliu in the Pacific that day. Both survived to live long and fruitful lives!

There is a reason these guys were called the Greatest Generation! !

I was just barely 2 years old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Troubled

My Dad was in the service already when Pearl Harbor was invaded. He was in the first wave to hit Omaha Beach.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadsden View Post
My Dad was in the service already when Pearl Harbor was invaded. He was in the first wave to hit Omaha Beach.
Hats off to him ! !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Troubled

He was the greatest of the greatest generation.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #5

My paternal grandpa was infantry during dday, don't know where he was because he wouldn't talk about it... He also fought in Korea all 3 years and 1 year in Vietnam before he decided it was time to retire...
Old 06-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As far as I know none of my relations were in Normandy back then, but when I moved to Deptford in '81, a lot of the old guys living here were over there. It made for lots of fascinating conversations when I went down my local pub, a lot of them served together in the same regiments and they still had the friendly 'inter-regimental' banter and rivalry

Sadly, they've all gone now

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Closed Thread