Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Clinton's (hacked) e-mail Server

This is a discussion on Clinton's (hacked) e-mail Server within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does anyone here know the technical details? I've been reading news stories all day and they seem to put effort

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Troubled

Does anyone here know the technical details? I've been reading news stories all day and they seem to put effort into NOT talking about details, i.e. what kind of computer (hardware), what Operating System and what software she was running to manage the emails.

I just read a news report that indicated that she might not have even been "hacked" in the brute-force dictionary sense of the word. What the story said was that they were aware of "failed login attempts" and that they were "numerous", but not the thousands or millions of attempts it would take to actually "hack" a server.

The news media is VERY short on technical details.

I'm not the most technically sophisticated person, but I've actually been on the receiving end of a hack. It was semi-automated, where they were using variations of the first names of the employees (fred1, fred12, fred123, etc...) and the most-common passwords. When you know you are being hacked, you don't sleep at night. The news story indicated that the "numerous" "failed login attempts" were just sort of accepted and ignored.

So one thing I want to know is how "numerous" they were.

Also another question is, at some point it became public knowledge that Clinton had a private email server, and so "hack attempts" "increased" as a result. It's one thing for a guy manually messing around to try to "hack" the Secretary of State's private email server, and an entire world full of highly sophisticated hackers running near-AI software to crack one of our country's top leaders (illegal) private email server.

I want to know all the details, and don't know where to find them, except possibly here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

"I want to know all the details, and don't know where to find them, except possibly here."

Why would you think we would know ?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:44 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Regardless of how many failed log in attempts were made, it's important to use complicated PWs. I'd bet Ms Clinton didn't.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
"I want to know all the details, and don't know where to find them, except possibly here."

Why would you think we would know ?

BG
It was a statement of my awareness of internet resources. This is the only computer-oriented forum I know of, other than Bleeping Computer, which has WAY too much unregulated noise. The question is about Computer Security at the highest level of government. I would expect every single computer security expert, or professional, to know every single available detail of the Clinton email server situation. It's a perfect object lesson in every way. I would expect every single college course in internet security to use that situation as an example of what not to do, and the consequences of failing to adhere to security protocol.

Assuming that the server was hacked, which I'm willing to question. I've been doing additional research and at this point, I still hold open the possibility that Clinton's Server was NOT "hacked", but that the FBI is using that fiction to redirect attention away from the possibility that someone simply GAVE the password to "whoever". Because I'm not convinced that it was in fact the nefarious "Russians" that "hacked" the Server. That's what's being said, but I see no compelling to believe that that is the truth, or even close to the truth. What we know is that Assange and Wikileaks had the emails and they released them, but we don't know who acquired them, when they were acquired and how. And, given the fact that the mass-media system is in fact "rigged", there is no reason to believe that anyone in the mass-media would be willing to put any effort into disputing or debunking the current narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Regardless of how many failed log in attempts were made, it's important to use complicated PWs. I'd bet Ms Clinton didn't.
Right, well that's where I go, too. My knowledge is spotty and superficial, but what I'm sure of is that in order to brute force the hack, the hacker would need at minimum a Username and a Password. So if you take, for the sake of discussion, 100 guesses at a Username, and 100 guesses at a Password, the hacker would need to try 100 Usernames times 100 Passwords, equals 10,000 hack attempts.

How many "failed login attempts" would a private email server's software allow before some kind of security protocol would kick in? 5? 10? 20? Not 100. And over how many days? 365? 1,000?

And then I wonder about IP Addresses. There are many lists of known "spam" IP Address. Tor Address, etc... It seems to me that even a basic-grade Security professional would have at minimum a blacklist, and more likely a white list. I have a MAC Address whitelist on my home computer network.

Did Clinton?

Anyways, these are the details I want to know about.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Whether they used Windows or Linux on the server is irrelevent . . either would have had the security features to protect the data. To my knowledge, there is no evidence that the Clinton server was hacked. The FBI said they saw no evidence that it was.

By the time the existence of the server became public, it had already been wiped and discarded. The Clintons apparently continued to use the domain for personal and foundation mail, but using a different server.

The rest of your questions could only be answered by their system analyst who operated the server.

The press has not talked about all this because 1.) they do not understand it, and 2.)their audience would go blind as their eyes glazed over.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Troubled

https://vault.fbi.gov/hillary-r.-cli...-01-of-04/view
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

What is that?

Old 11-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
What is that?
Anyone can search FBI stuff at their site: https://vault.fbi.gov/

That's where it comes from.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Understand . . just do not xse the connection to the question . . maybe he is just answering his own question?

Old 11-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
Troubled

Quote:
Understand . . just do not xse the connection to the question . . maybe he is just answering his own question?
My assumption is that computer professionals might be interested in the technical details of how the Secretary of State failed to secure her email server and possibly jeopardized the safety and security of the entire country. I also assumed this was a sub-forum, where open-endedconversations took place about topics like this, instead of the more simple Ask a question/Get an answer format of the technical areas.

That's an official, FBI government link. And in the documents behind that link, today I learned that Clinton's 2nd server had a 3rd party (not Clinton, and not her System Administrator) doing Server backups. They were SUPPOSED to be local back-ups managed remotely, but "somehow" her emails were backed up to that 3rd party company's "cloud". I'm thinking this is the source of the so-called "hack". Didn't have time this morning to read much more, but the FBI was VERY CLEAR about that this 3rd party company "inadvertently" made cloud back-ups of Clinton's emails. "Oops! We accidentally gave you something for free, that we normally charge a premium for. Of course, it has NOTHING to do with the fact that you are Hillary Clinton and the Secretary of State for the United States of America. It was "inadvertent".

At this point, I think it's entirely possible that Clinton's emails were leaked to WikiLeaks by the FBI, and not the nefarious "Russians".

And they may have "hacked" her server by setting up a fake, store-front computer security business. Or integrated itself into the business in order to gain access to her email server, either physically by a middle-of-the-night search warrant, remote hack, or by having an undercover agent working there as an employee.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
My assumption is that computer professionals might be interested in the technical details of how the Secretary of State failed to secure her email server and possibly jeopardized the safety and security of the entire country.
The FBI has said that there was no evidence that the Clinton server was compromised. . Thus there was no hack . . so called or otherwise.

Not into lunatic conspiracy theories, so can't speak to the rest

Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
Troubled

Quote:
The FBI has said that there was no evidence that the Clinton server was compromised. . Thus there was no hack . . so called or otherwise.

Not into lunatic conspiracy theories, so can't speak to the rest
I agree, at one end of the spectrum you have the complete idiots that subscribe to all manner of crackpot conspiracy theories, and at the other end of the spectrum you've got the people that believe what the government tells them.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

. . and then there are those who depend on their intelligence and experience to sort thru the noise for the facts.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

There was no hack and in fact there was no danger but besides that at the time she was Secretary of State there was no requirement that email run through gov't servers either and no one in the past had done that. This is what everyone keeps forgetting. Besides that the only people she corresponded with also had security clearance anyway.

This whole thing has been expanded beyond the highest elastic ability of the Republican Candidate to try and take the attention off of his miserable failed attempt to run for the Presidency. The man has broken about every rule, insulted every minority and majority out there and is obviously way too immature and incompetent to be running any country. He has no original thoughts and offers nothing but platitudes and exaggeration as well as outright lies because there is little good about his private or public persona to exhibit. He has to be the lowest life form who has ever run for any public office and should be ashamed of almost everything he has said.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
There was no hack...
So then how did Wikileaks acquire those emails after they were supposedly deleted?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:56 AM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

First of all it has not been established anything Wikileaks have is legitimate and those are more recent and not from Clinton anyway. So far all that has appeared are from John Podesta in the Wikileak agenda and again nothing has been proven to be legitimate and not tampered with. Why can't we stick with the facts. I mean Trump feels he can virtually present anything he thinks of as fact and is now claiming she is under criminal investigation for Clinton Foundation issues for which the FBI says there is no such investigation, but does it matter what FBI says? I guess the fiction just plays better.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Mitty View Post
So then how did Wikileaks acquire those emails after they were supposedly deleted?
If you are going to argue about current events, you owe it to yourself to keep up with them . .

The emails wiki/Russia has fabricated released so far are not from Clinton . .

Old 11-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
FBI Director James Comey told Congress on Sunday a recent review of newly discovered emails did not change the agency's conclusion reached in July that no charges were warranted in the case of Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server.

U.S. Republican Representative Jason Chaffetz said in a tweet that Comey had informed him of the conclusion. Comey's letter to Congress informing it of the newly discovered emails had thrown Clinton's presidential race against Republican Donald Trump into turmoil.
FBI clears Clinton in latest email review two days before election | Reuters

So much for that distraction . .

Old 11-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
Troubled

Quote:
I simply want to talk about the technical details of Hillary Clinton's email Servers (there were two) and how those emails come into the possession of Wikileaks, and do not want the topic dragged off into an area that will get the thread closed. I'd like to ask that the previous two posts, and this one, be deleted, as they are off-topic. I'm busy on other things, atm, but intend to come back with a timeline of the servers, etc... and filling in the details of what is known.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Wikileaks doesn't have any HillaRY email, they have some gmail email which is browser based and that is all they are releasing.

Closed Thread