Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Canadian Streaming Service shomi Disbands Operations

This is a discussion on Canadian Streaming Service shomi Disbands Operations within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. From Web streaming service Shomi to shut down as of Nov. 30 - Entertainment - CBC News Originally Posted by

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

From Web streaming service Shomi to shut down as of Nov. 30 - Entertainment - CBC News

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC
Video streaming service Shomi announced Monday it will shut down at the end of November, two years after it launched. "The business climate and online video marketplace have changed markedly in the last few years," David Asch, senior vice-president and general manager for Shomi, said in a statement.

"Combined with the fact that the business is more challenging to operate than we expected, we've decided to wind down our operations."

Asch said the company remains proud of the service it launched and the role it played in the evolving video landscape in Canada.

Rogers and Shaw launched Shomi on Nov. 4, 2014, in the hopes of capitalizing on the rising number of so-called cord-cutters who were ditching traditional TV services in favour of video-on-demand.

I currently work for this project, and the news broke to us in a group meeting. The atmosphere was very solemn in the office. I had several members (customers) contact us inquiring about it, some believed it were false.

Luckily we're second party, so I am most likely going to be moved laterally to a different project, but it's still very sad to see that such a great company and service had been unable to compete against the enormous monoliths that are Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't get rid of Backdoor.Rbot.aveq MARK II
I have a Backdoor.Rbot.aveq though sometimes it's Backdoor.Rbot.awi Vba32 keeps picking it up and deleting it, but I feel it's linked to the temp folder or something because everytime I try to install anything Vba32 tells me "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\CR_04BFF.tmp\setup.exe" contains...
climoo Inactive Malware Help Topics 5 04-07-2013 04:06 PM
[virus] trojan.winlock Ransomware hellomoto
Hi, I'm infested with this virus/trojan that blocks my pc at startup. I can boot in safe mode. I've already done a few procedures: 1- regedit on shell : delete explorer.exe ther rewrite explorer.exe -> no success
jb681131 Inactive Malware Help Topics 3 11-08-2012 02:07 PM
Have a badly infected laptop need help!
Hi I have been having dramas with my laptop and now I really need help to remove the issues causing me major problems. I have AVG anti virus protection installed and when running a scan was being told that I have an infection called Trojan horse hider:MPR The browser I use is firefox and for...
LindsayH Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 139 06-03-2012 08:01 PM
Internet won't work after combo fix
Hi, had a google redirect virus. ran multiple malware programs, antimalware bytes, spybot, and a few cleaners but no success. ran combo fix and now I don't have internet. here is log file ComboFix 12-04-24.05 - Amanda 04/24/2012 23:44:10.1.4 - x86 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium ...
jenningsfamily Resolved HJT Threads 52 05-17-2012 08:38 AM
[SOLVED] CPU always working at 13/16%.
Hi. My cpu is always at 13/16%. I have checked for viruses malware with kaspersky and windows defender but dont found nothing. I also checked with HJT but dont found nothing bad there. What can be this? I am still very noob tech. Here is my HJT log.
wolfvt13 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 7 01-01-2011 08:44 PM