Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Can we talk about video game violence?

This is a discussion on Can we talk about video game violence? within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This isnít a post that purports to have answers, or a call to action, or the one true way. Rather,

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
This isnít a post that purports to have answers, or a call to action, or the one true way. Rather, itís an invitation to open a discussion.

Last week, one of the most horrific acts of non-wartime gun violence in US history unfolded in Orlando, Florida, where a single man unleashed an assault weapon inside a nightclub, killing some 50 people and injuring more than 50 more.

Just a couple of days later, Microsoft, Sony, and a number of game developers held press events around the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo, and each one of those events were filled with action detailing brutal and bloody virtual killings, sometimes on a grand scale, all in the name of ďfun.Ē

My colleague Brad Stephenson was moved nearly to tears by the brief acknowledgements by Phil Spencer of Xbox and Aisha Tyler of Ubisoft, deploring the violence that had just occurred in Florida, but the juxtaposition was clear. Microsoft went on to showcase the bloody Gears of War among other violent titles, and Ubisoft featured their own brand of violence with Watch Dogs 2.

Hereís what James Brightman at GamesIndustry.biz wrote:
First of all, let me say that I find it almost comical that almost every one of these conferences began with condolences to the victims of the Orlando massacre only to be swiftly followed by demos containing extreme shooting and violence. This is all happening at the same time that ESA head Mike Gallagher noted that publishers would be ďsensitive to the national moodĒ following the tragedy. Frankly, I donít see it. As Jonathan Blow summarily wrote on Twitter, ďThe lesson of E3: Game studios are working very hard to build fantasies about how cool it is to be a mass murderer.Ē Thatís an exaggeration, of course, but the simple fact is that a bulk of what we saw was focused on extreme violence, whether from guns or good old fashioned face stabbings.

Can we talk about video game violence?

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

This person who posted this opinion piece couldn't even get the State Sandy Hook Happened in right, nor could Kip get the facts straight in the Columbine Massacre. The shooters there played DOOM not CALL OF DUTY! Call of duty wasn't even out in 1999! And then Kip says "I'm not saying video games cause real life violence" but then implies it by saying there is a "connection"..
There is no connection!
Columbine = Botched TERRORIST attack by two kids raped by the Colorado sherrif's office in a 1998 bomb making materials arrest
Sandy Hook = Massacre by a mentally Ill kid who had his mother who was a gun nut and got him into using real weapons.
BILLIONS of people played Call of Duty and Doom, and even more played other shooting games blamed for Massacres. Only THREE Committed violence in mass killings.
Jared Loughner = Played Guitar Hero
Cho = Never played video games. A game hating lawyer said he did. But he's a liar.
Norway Shooter = An Anti-Islamic TERRORIST. Supposedly Trained on Call of Duty but enjoyed playing WOW, a SWORD FIGHTING game.
Hell even Adam Lanza played mostly NON VIOLENT games.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Yeah, video games do not cause violence, if that were the case billions would be dead because of it...

The newest media always gets the most negative attention... "Violence on TV will cause violence in real life"

"Violence in comic books will cause violence in real life"

etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

'tis a tricksy topic to discuss, for certain - I can understand the connection between PC-games and 'real life' violence, but I reckon it's only a very small ratio of people who 'enact' their games and I suspect they already had homicidal tendencies before then.

Speaking personally although I don't play the 'shoot-'em-ups' any more (old fingers can't move quick enough now), I enjoyed them at the time and I don't really feel that homicidal because of them. OK there's a lot of folks around the world that I'd like to see come to a messy and/or gory end, but I felt that towards them before I got my first PC, back in the mid 90's and I haven't killed anyone (yet).....

Also on a similar vein though are games like 'Need for Speed' and the rising number of idiots on the roads. There's a lot of bozos on the UK roads who behave as if they're still sat in front of their computers, living in London I see 'em most days

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 06-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo View Post
Also on a similar vein though are games like 'Need for Speed' and the rising number of idiots on the roads. There's a lot of bozos on the UK roads who behave as if they're still sat in front of their computers, living in London I see 'em most days
Or that could just be Americanization
Old 06-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Present laws forbid me from saying where they're from, but they aren't English or American.....

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

WereBo's right. The Welsh really are out of control.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:17 AM   #8
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

No, we're in control
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

I blame America for the violence from approving of the brutal slaying of innocent babies through the word called abortion.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:42 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

I think we're taking this thread down a dark and dangerous path..
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 AM   #12
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPG View Post
I think we're taking this thread down a dark and dangerous path..
This thread is not going down a path that is so off-topic. A little off-topic happens......this one is way out of the park. Further posts of the nature of the stricken post will be removed.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 AM   #13
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPG View Post
WereBo's right. The Welsh really are out of control.
Werebo's got more sense than to suggest that.

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Old 06-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Time to actually contribute to the topic instead of joking around and stopping sidetracks.

I personally have no qualms with violence, I think a certain amount of violence is necessary in some cases to drum home a point, or to make something (be that a Film, TV show or Video Game) authentic.

Video games cater for certain tastes and interests and a lot of people like violent First-Person Shooter games like the Battlefield franchise. Battlefield especially has always tried to use violence to make situations feel more authentic and harrowing - like the mission in either 3 (or 4, can't remember) where the tank commander is tortured and killed on video whilst looking at the figurine his son had given to him.

I also have a limit. There are some games that have taken the violence a little too far. I've never been keen on the idea of 'violence for violence's sake'.
Personally; I actually prefer, especially in movies, for any gruesome details to be more implied than 'in your face', I think that is actually a mark of superior cinematography.
For example; say someone gets staked in the chest by a broken fence post or the like; if there's an establishing shot of the fence post, and another of the person flying towards it, followed by an appropriate sound effect, I'd enjoy the scene no less than if there was a full frontal shot of the guy being staked and his guts going all over the place.

The same logic can be applied to video games. Take Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and it's infamous airport massacre mission; that right there was violence for violence sake, and of very poor taste at that. You can accelerate the plot just as effectively by having the characters overhearing a news broadcast of the massacre, you were even given the option to skip the mission anyway (although I think that was an update), so it wasn't imperative that the player conducted those actions anyway.

There are a million ways of looking at this, and there will be people that disagree with me, and maybe some who agree, but the fact remains that it will always be there whilst there is a market for it.

There will also be those who want to go around shooting or stabbing people, and they all, justified or not, had a reason for doing so that resonated with them. Whether you or I agree with their reason is immaterial; but getting rid of violent video games will not make those people go away, that I promise you.

Discuss.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:59 AM   #15
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Some might suggest that the video game that might have triggered the worst violence actually contained no violence itself...