Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

"assault Weapons*

This is a discussion on "assault Weapons* within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. By definition, as per my company commander in Boot Camp in 1981 and every firearms training I have gone through

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfen1086
  • 1 Post By Wizmo
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Automotive Team

By definition, as per my company commander in Boot Camp in 1981 and every firearms training I have gone through in the military, and Assault weapon is " any weapon used in an assault" am I correct? So, that being said, why just ban a AR15? does AR stand for Assault Rifle? sure if you eat tide pods, a .22 rifle is semiautomatic.......just like the AR15, I saw a moron on the news this morning actually say we needed to ban every gun that fires one bullet when you pull the trigger because they are all AR15's that do that. I find that guy to probably be liking Blue and Green tide pods, My .22 revolver is a 1975 Colt with both LR and Mag cylinders, its single action, meaning you pull the hammer back and pull the trigger......one shell if fired, is that an assault weapon? Personally I would consider using it for assault, one on one robbery maybe but not assault.
Basically as far as I'm concerned you can have whatever weapon you want bolt, single, semi pump Full Auto, I'm 54 years old I have been shot at more than once with FULL automatic weapons all I need is ONE well placed shot and the person with the full auto stops shooting at me.....gee, imagine that, I use gun control.

Instead of banning guns I HIGHLY recommend that this country bring back paddling, the national Anthem, prayer ( for those it apply's to) and morals, hold the PERSON accountable for their actions and watch what happens, I promise you shootings will drop.
charlie1776 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I know people that own (and build) AR15 type weapons. I don't need one.....for hunting, they are useless in my state. We can't legally use high-power rifles to hunt. The people that own these types of weapons can do no more than target shoot.....I do not have a proper backstop and will not allow them on my property.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

"AR" is Armalite Rifle . . Armalite developed the rifle but sold the design and patent to Colt, who made the M-16 for the Army during VietNam. .

The patent ran out in the 70's and similar weapons are made by various manufacturers now in several different calibers

They are good for one thing . . close quarter killing .. worthless for anything else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I was in the Marines during the switch from the M1 to the M14. Traded a great weapon for an inferior one just so we could standardize ammo with NATO allies. M1 fired 30-06, M14 used 7.65. New manual of arms required a waste of time learning something that had "Parade" use only.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I remember when they switched to (I think) the M-16......it was very much hated for being unreliable. Rumor was that we lost quite a few soldiers due to the unreliability.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:38 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Quote:
Assault weapon is " any weapon used in an assault"
That is the correct answer, period.

Some States consider a weapon to be labeled an "Assault Rifle" if it has a detachable clip, and a hand grip. Which is ridiculous, at least to myself.

Compare a AR, to a mini 14, basically the same gun, same caliber .223, has a detachable clip. However the mini 14 doesn't have a hand grip, so it is not considered to be an Assault Rifle, by definition.

As for a rifle chambered for a .223 caliber round, it is an excellent varmint rifle, able to reach out 300 yards. Then there is the "High Power" rifle phrase. Comparing a .223 round to a 7.62 x 54 (.308), 30-06, 7mm, 7mm Magnum, and other "Hunting calibers. The .223 is the least high power of them all.

Just me thinking out loud. Why is it when there's a shooting, the weapon is responsible for the shooting, but when a distracted driver, or a drunk driver kills people, neither the cell phone, or the alcohol is to blame, but the person is, hmmm.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
I was in the Marines during the switch from the M1 to the M14. Traded a great weapon for an inferior one just so we could standardize ammo with NATO allies. M1 fired 30-06, M14 used 7.65. New manual of arms required a waste of time learning something that had "Parade" use only.
The Army got them first . . and from the bitching I heard, I'm glad. I was a BAR guy, but we trained with the old M1 Garand's and that is what the rifleman used when I was in.

Quote:
Why is it when there's a shooting, the weapon is responsible for the shooting, but when a distracted driver, or a drunk driver kills people, neither the cell phone, or the alcohol is to blame, but the person is, hmmm.
Simple . . because the damn things are designed for one purpose . . killing people. Autos, cell phones and Alcohol are designed for other purposes, and when misused, the user suffers consequences

Old 03-04-2018, 01:54 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Please note that a 'clip' and a 'magazine' are two distinctly different things.

See below:

Name:  Clip_vs_Magazine.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  14.0 KB

An ammunition clip is a device used to store individual rounds of ammunition together as a single unit that is then ready for insertion into the built-in magazine of a gun. ... For rifles with an internal magazine, the clip loads the bullets into the firearm itself. The clip itself is often discarded in actual use!

A magazine is a device which can be pre-loaded with ammunition and carried so that the entire empty magazine can be exchanged for a full one rapidly.

I'm so sick of the know-nothing 'talking heads' using the terms interchangeably, hence with absolutely no idea what they are blathering about!
charlie1776 likes this.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 03-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
I joined the Navy in 1980 we already had the M16, BUT in boot camp we had to fir the M14, MUCH better weapon, the first time I fired a M16 I thought " Id rather shoot squirrels with me .22"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenadiver View Post
That is the correct answer, period.

Some States consider a weapon to be labeled an "Assault Rifle" if it has a detachable clip, and a hand grip. Which is ridiculous, at least to myself.

Compare a AR, to a mini 14, basically the same gun, same caliber .223, has a detachable clip. However the mini 14 doesn't have a hand grip, so it is not considered to be an Assault Rifle, by definition.

As for a rifle chambered for a .223 caliber round, it is an excellent varmint rifle, able to reach out 300 yards. Then there is the "High Power" rifle phrase. Comparing a .223 round to a 7.62 x 54 (.308), 30-06, 7mm, 7mm Magnum, and other "Hunting calibers. The .223 is the least high power of them all.

Just me thinking out loud. Why is it when there's a shooting, the weapon is responsible for the shooting, but when a distracted driver, or a drunk driver kills people, neither the cell phone, or the alcohol is to blame, but the person is, hmmm.
I have a Mosen Naggant right now that fires a 7.62x54R comparing that to a 223 is like compare a Toyota to a train lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post

See below:

Attachment 319048

An ammunition clip is a device used to store individual rounds of ammunition together as a single unit that is then ready for insertion into the built-in magazine of a gun. ... For rifles with an internal magazine, the clip loads the bullets into the firearm itself. The clip itself is often discarded in actual use!

A magazine is a device which can be pre-loaded with ammunition and carried so that the entire empty magazine can be exchanged for a full one rapidly.

I'm so sick of the know-nothing 'talking heads' using the terms interchangeably, hence with absolutely no idea what they are blathering about!
Thank you for knowing the difference
Old 03-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #10
Automotive Team

what I want to know is when did Walmart sell AR15"s
every Wal mart in Va Beach and down here in NC that I have been to sells either semi auto .22's or shotguns, so, me being me I ranted about it on Facebook, one person replied " Ken Hummell, the assault style weapons are in the toy section, immediately I replaied " oh my God, a child with a Green water gun having a orange tip is gonna squirt me to death" I'm waiting on the facebook jail sentence
Old 03-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen1086 View Post
I joined the Navy in 1980 we already had the M16, BUT in boot camp we had to fir the M14, MUCH better weapon, the first time I fired a M16 I thought " Id rather shoot squirrels with me .22"
USNR '73-'77 - practiced with and qualified with M16.

Quote:
I have a Mosen Naggant right now that fires a 7.62x54R comparing that to a 223 is like compare a Toyota to a train lol
I love my SKS with original bayonet! Purchased from Roses for $89 back in '88!

Quote:
Thank you for knowing the difference
You're welcome!

Old 03-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

I went through Army basic training while the switch over was being made. We used the M14. There was a M16 at the firing range. The non-coms at the range talked bad about it. Said it jammed up unexpectedly. I never fired an M16.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Quote:

Sorry, for speaking my Michigan dialect. Sorry I offended you.

As for myself, Army 80-86, 7th Inf. Div, 32ADA, 101st ABN. qualified on.
45 pistol
M16
M203
M60

T.O.W. anti tank missile
M2
LAW rocket

Quote:

definitely no comparison between a .223 and a .308, however the .223 is way more devastating on impact, a .308 will pass through, leaving a massive exit wound, the .223 fragments, and does all kinds of internal damage.

Mosen Naggant, nice looking weapon.

My son has a PPSH, and a Browning 1919
he seems to like the WWII weapons.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #14
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
every Wal mart in Va Beach and down here in NC that I have been to sells either semi auto .22's or shotguns
We have a supermarket chain named Asda, apparently its owned by Walmart now. This is where we go to buy our groceries. They also sell clothes and electrical items.

So, are you saying you can buy guns in the same place you buy your breakfast cereal?

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 03-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenadiver View Post
Sorry, for speaking my Michigan dialect. Sorry I offended you.

What actually offends me is the lamestream media talking nonsense, which unfortunately leads to misconceptions and ouright LIES about guns in general.

When they come for mine, they'd better bring theirs, and LOTS of help!

Old 03-05-2018, 04:48 AM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
So, are you saying you can buy guns in the same place you buy your breakfast cereal?
Correct. Most of the hunters who don't do their own reloads, also buy their ammo at our local WM Superstore. Unfortunately, since it opened, we've lost Wynn Dixie and Piggly Wiggly due to the lower priced competition. It's now either Wallyworld or Food Lion unless we want to drive hour to Publix or Kroeger.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #17
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
We have a supermarket chain named Asda, apparently its owned by Walmart now. This is where we go to buy our groceries. They also sell clothes and electrical items.

Yep but unlike a gun I can walk out with m cereal we have SUPER Walmart also Ahoskie just has a regular Walmart but Roanoke Rapids has a Super Walmart you can ever get ties there too, everything except a assure weapon, unless you go to the toy section, there you can actually find a AR15 shaped water gun, but the only thing you can do with that is squirt a person to death
Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #18
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post
USNR '73-'77 - practiced with and qualified with M16.

I love my SKS with original bayonet! Purchased from Roses for $89 back in '88!

You're welcome!
Yea I thought about that sks, but Roses is where my Mossen came from , packed in Cosmaline it is a sweet rifle, useless in a confined building or close quarters combat, but great for dropping a deer at 3 miles away, if you can ever see that far
Closed Thread