Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

ARS: EFF Sues US Over DMCA

This is a discussion on ARS: EFF Sues US Over DMCA within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ars Technica - ‎6 hours ago‎ Since the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) became law in 1998, it has been

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ars Technica - ‎6 hours ago‎

Since the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) became law in 1998, it has been a federal crime to copy a DVD or do anything else that subverts digital copy-protection schemes.

EFF sues US government, saying copyright rules on DRM are unconstitutional | Ars Technica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
Troubled

I've made several overtures to EFF over the last few years and it's like talking to a brick wall. I have an interest in "electronic rights" as a general subject, and I have several specialized areas that I have a keen interest in. So I went looking for some kind of forum where people that shared these interests might meet online and possibly attract well-informed people from around the world to share what they knew.

For the most part, it goes without saying that a forum should be created around any kind of topic where the proponents are interested in educating the general public and increasing their membership base. It's a way for "leaders" to meet, develop and create new "followers", so I was rather surprised to learn that EFF had no such forum on their website. After several attempts at getting a real-live human being that was interested in something other than collecting whatever money they wanted me to give them, I learned that not only does the EFF NOT have a forum, they don't have a "recommended" forum, don't know where people who are knowledgeable or interested in electronic rights might gather online and had no recommendations or advice for me on where I should go to meet others and increase my knowledge regarding issues related to electronic rights.

But they asked for money from me at every turn. I got the general impression that collecting donations is the only reason why they exist.

I don't like the EFF. It feels wrong to me, like all the other scam charities that eventually wind-up on 60 Minutes being grilled by Morely Safer on why 80% of their gross revenue is being spent on "Administrative Costs" and why the President of the non-profit makes 12 bazillion dollars a year, has a private jet, 4 mansions on 4 continents. Every once in a while there's a news splash about the EFF and "X", and the controlled media never misses an opportunity to extol the virtues of the EFF and all the wonderful work they do, and I don't believe a word of it. I don't know of any organization that views an informed, active and expanding grassroots as a liability, but clearly that is the case with the EFF. They've sectioned off the piece of the pie labeled "Advocating in favor of things we think are important for individual electronic rights", and they own that WHOLE SECTION. Your help, interest and involvement is not necessary or wanted.

But your money is. So pay up. You care about electronic rights, don't you? Then pay up. Or else bad things will happen to you and your electronic rights. And given what we've seen with the Clinton Foundation, I can easily believe that this lawsuit could merely be a move to coerce some kind of behind the scenes payoff, where the EFF gets a large "donation" and several weeks later the suit is settled, with the terms of the agreement kept secret.
Closed Thread