Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

6.4 million sign up for Affordable Care Act plans, more than in previous years

This is a discussion on 6.4 million sign up for Affordable Care Act plans, more than in previous years within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. More Americans have signed up to have health plans through the Affordable Care Act as of Jan. 1 than in

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
More Americans have signed up to have health plans through the Affordable Care Act as of Jan. 1 than in previous years, despite spiking insurance prices and a pledge by President-elect Donald Trump to dismantle the law.

Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell announced on Wednesday that 6.4 million people had chosen Affordable Care Act health plans by the deadline this week for coverage starting New Year’s Day — an increase of 400,000 from a year ago, though fewer first-time customers enrolled.

Yet, as Burwell said the figures signify that “doomsday predictions about the marketplace are not bearing out,” Obama administration officials and health policy researchers who support the law have been taking precautions before Trump takes office.

Since shortly after last month’s election, think tank and university researchers have been downloading Affordable Care Act data, reports and regulatory guidance housed online at HHS — in case the new administration removes them as part of its efforts to wipe out the law.

In releasing the latest Affordable Care Act sign-up figures, Burwell predicted that enrollment is on pace to reach the 13.8 million that HHS projected for this fourth sign-up season in the insurance marketplaces created through the law.

The 6.4 million includes new and returning customers who have selected coverage in the 39 states that rely on HealthCare.gov, the federal exchange’s website. Those people will need to pay their first premium for their insurance to take effect.

The number does not include consumers who currently have coverage under the health law and soon will be automatically reenrolled because they have not picked a health plan for 2017. A year ago, HHS automatically enrolled slightly more than 2 million such people, who later were given a chance to keep or turn down that insurance.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.da1ad89edab9

Seems sorta counter intuitive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

I like my HSA... Shopping around for things like X-Rays actually works
Old 12-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Is that in conjunction with your company insurance?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #4

Yeah, my company deposits $1200 a year into my HSA, I like it because it's like car insurance... major issues are covered... but tune ups I pay for (which I pay for out of my HSA) up to $1500, if I pay past $1500 a year 100% of anything after that is covered...

And all of that is cheaper for my company then the other coverage they offer
Old 12-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sounds like a nice plan . .

Old 12-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

The Child Bride chose the "High Deductible" option that gets to about the same place and saved about half on premiums. . she is still young enough that it makes sense.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Sounds like a nice plan . .
Yeah, I pay $0 out of my paycheck minus what I contribute to the HSA on my own pre tax
Closed Thread