Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Smart Devices | General Topics

User Tag List

Card reader peripheral for non-credit-card cards?

This is a discussion on Card reader peripheral for non-credit-card cards? within the Smart Devices | General Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Everyone, Does anyone know of a magnetic-stripe card reader for iPad that can be used with cards that aren't

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of a magnetic-stripe card reader for iPad that can be used with cards that aren't credit/debit cards, but instead just in-house account cards?

I work in travel and tourism, but we are "Cash-Less" for all transactions while our guests are with us. We have them, instead, on in-house accounts for which they are given a card at check-in. These cards are not credit-cards, and can only be used in our system.

The Point Of Sale system we have in our shops/bars/etc, is based on desktop type computers with built-in card readers that connect through a network to to the guests' in-house account. They settle this account at check-out.

For some of our purposes though, it would be helpful to have a portable card reader that can read these cards. It doesn't matter to me whether it connects wirelessly to the network account, or has to be downloaded at the end of the day manually.

If you know of something like this that works for non-credit card cards, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Shouldn't any reader work? The reader itself doesn't care what type of card is used, it's the software that decodes and processes the information.

Sounds like a question for your software vendor.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Dogg,

Thanks for your reply. That's a good point. I really don't know anything about the card readers, or how they process. I suppose it does make sense that the software would be the main factor though. I'll have to check into it further.

I was mainly just looking to see if anyone has done this before and knows of something specific that would work.

Cheers!
~Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

The hardware is the same the software is different.

Often in house cards are bar code as opposed to magnetic.
Closed Thread