Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 8, 8.1 Support

User Tag List

Updating Win 8.1 leads to rebooting failure

This is a discussion on Updating Win 8.1 leads to rebooting failure within the Windows 8, 8.1 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After swapping the damaged HDD from my HP Envy dv6 7250ca with a new Western Digital 1TB HDD (WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0),

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

After swapping the damaged HDD from my HP Envy dv6 7250ca with a new Western Digital 1TB HDD (WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0), I installed Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. I could reboot without any issues. I've run and passed the following: SMART check, Memory check, Short DST, WD DataLifeGuard Quick Test.

If I install any updates, my computer will get stuck on the black screen after the Windows logo upon rebooting. I tried just installing the first 24 of 49: Failed, restored. Then the last 25 of 49: Exact same issue.

What's going on? What should I try?

Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Run the DataLifeGuard Extended test. If this fails, then the HDD needs to be replaced.
Also, remove all but one stick of RAM restart the computer press the ESC key when you reboot and test Memory . Test Each stick of RAM separately.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

I tested both RAM sticks separately and they both passed.
I finally finished the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostic Extended and it passed too.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

I took a look at Device Manager and found something a bit off. Under MyPC \ Other Devices, I have "PCI Device" and "Unknown device", which don't have drivers. I have no idea which devices these are.
Viewing by connection type:
MyPC \ ACPI x64-based PC \ Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System \ Unknown device
MyPC \ ACPI x64-based PC \ Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System \ PCI Express Root Complex \ Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Port 3 - 1E14 \ PCI Device
Old 02-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to the HP drivers site for your laptop: HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support and download the Chipset Driver. Under Storage download the Card Bus Driver. And if you need it, under Input, download the Fingerprint driver.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

I installed those missing drivers, but Device Manager didn't change what it said, so I tried rebooting, but it got stuck after the Windows logo again. I can restore it to just before the driver install though.

Any other ideas? Your ideas so far have been solid. My computer's just possessed.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

When you download the drivers, be sure you are downloading the 64 bit Windows 8.1 drivers. The Chipset Driver should work. When you download it, it comes in as a Self extracting Zip file. It should unzip to your C: drive. Usually something like C:\Drivers. Take note of where it downloads. After it unzips it should start to install. If it doesn't, then browse to the folder it unzipped to and run Setup.
Also Restart the computer and press F10 to boot into Setup. Go to UEFI Bios and see if it is set for UEFI or for Legacy boot. It should be UEFI, but if you continue to have problems try Legacy. Also, on the HP drivers site, under Diagnostic, download the UEFI Support environment.
Closed Thread