Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 8, 8.1 Support

User Tag List

Something is setting proxy server

This is a discussion on Something is setting proxy server within the Windows 8, 8.1 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Win8 Start Page apps stopped working - could not access internet. Then I noticed Dropbox couldn't get a "secure

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

My Win8 Start Page apps stopped working - could not access internet. Then I noticed Dropbox couldn't get a "secure connection". But Firefox browser and my email client had no problem with the internet. After hunting around a bit, I discovered that Proxy Server was checked in the LAN Settings of Internet Options-Connections tab. I turned it off and all was well, but it came back on the next boot. I can't find anything suspicious in my autostarted programs and the built-in MS security software isn't complaining about anything.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm fresh out of things to try. Meanwhile I keep resetting the Proxy check box whenever I have to re-boot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

OS: Windows 98se/2000/XP/Vista/7/8 Pro/10 Pro/10 "Insider" / Linux(various)

If you haven't tried using System Restore yet, it's pretty handy for this sort of trouble.

From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type Recovery, then click Settings, then click Recovery, and then select Open System Restore. Choose a restore point from before your proxy settings started reinventing themselves.

Best of luck
. . . Gary
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help setting up server 2003 R2
Hi, I'm trying to setup a server at home to control login accounts, VPN, and storage. It is a slim rack server with 2 nics in it RUNNING SERVER 2003 R2 fresh install. I have a router with a static ip address all supplied from my service provider, And basically im wanting help setting up...
adamcawte Windows Servers 0 10-25-2012 03:24 AM
Using a proxy server (HTTP Firewall) without ICS
Hi there everyone, :wave: this is my first post here. Here is the scenario. ADSL Hub > (Eth Port 0) Gateway Server Running Windows Server 2008 R2 (Eth Port 1) > Wireless router WRT54GL ~ Range Extenders ~ Client computers. Key ">" = Ethernet. "~" = Wireless. We've a small network here...
Dell_Boy Security and Firewalls 5 06-28-2011 02:17 AM
[SOLVED] Command line problem
Hi, I wanted to be able to induce the screensaver on my monitor when I was finished working. So, I followed the instructions on this link: How can I turn off the monitor (i.e., "put it to - Microsoft Answers EXCEPT that the second part of the instruction doesn't work i.e. the monitor...
priapus Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 50 06-18-2011 11:17 AM
Access to Internet lost
Hi guys, I'm working on a home network where quite regularly the internet connection drops and requires the router to be restarted. I know this is something that can happen from time to time but this is happening every few days. For this reason we swapped the modem/router for a new one to see if...
PaoloPanella Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 9 03-11-2011 06:55 AM