Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 8, 8.1 Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Read-Only Setting In Folder

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Read-Only Setting In Folder within the Windows 8, 8.1 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just purchased a notebook and am running Windows 8.1. I right-clicked on the "Documents" folder and selected Properties. In the

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Just purchased a notebook and am running Windows 8.1.

I right-clicked on the "Documents" folder and selected Properties.

In the "Attributes" section, the "Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)" is ticked.

I'm reading this to mean that I will not be able to save changes to any files in that folder, as they will be read-only. Is this correct and why is the folder set by default to this setting?

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello tomahawk,

Is the item ticked (check mark in the box) or partially ticked (box filled by square).

If it is partially ticked, it just means that something in that folder (sub directory/system file) is set to Read Only, but you will be able to save files, over-write files, delete files and edit files as usual.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Hi GZ

There is a square box.

I don't know what is causing this, as it appears to be a default. This is a brand new notebook upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1

It is the same setting in "Music" , where I have added some files and in Pictures, where I have not yet added any files (but there seems to be a sub-folder called "camera roll")

Also, I want to encrypt the Documents folder, but when I right-click on it and go to properties and then advanced, the "encrypt contents to secure data" option is greyed out!

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

That is default... There are one or more files in that directory that are set to "Read Only". If you click the box and apply, it will set all files in that directory to "Read Only". This will not affect your ability to use that directory in any way.

Even if the directory appears empty, there are hidden system files that are set to read-only... So that box should always appear in that fashion.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Also, I want to encrypt the Documents folder, but when I right-click on it and go to properties and then advanced, the "encrypt contents to secure data" option is greyed out!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

I have never used Windows Built-In encryption service (efs) therefore I have no experience with it.

I would suggest creating a sub folder in the documents directory and attempting to encrypt it's contents.

Also, are you accessing the documents folder via your user directory, or the libraries link?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Tom is this what your trying
Help protect your files with BitLocker - Microsoft Windows Help
Help protect your files with device encryption - Microsoft Windows Help

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

To be honest joeten, I'm confused. I had said in an earlier thread that I thought I had read somewhere that encryption is standard in Windows 8.1, but I just need to be absolutely sure.

I log on to my notebook with my Microsoft account.

I use this notebook when travelling only and therefore want to maximise any protection.

GZ, I use Windows Explorer to access specific files. In Windows 7, there was a "Libraries" structure which does not appear in Windows 8.1 (see attachment)

T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	159666  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

To use it you need to be logged in as admin see the second link in my last post

Old 02-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Libraries are still present... The folder in the navigation pane is the library.

To access your Documents folder, navigate to...

C:\users\"yourname"\Documents
Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks GZ.

I'll have to apologise, but this confuses me. I have added files from a memory stick to the "Documents" folder ( by simple drag and drop) and there was no issue.

What exactly is the difference between:-

"Documents" and

"C:\Users\Thomas\Documents"
Old 02-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

The documents in the navigation pane is the library, which can contain multiple locations.

The folder in your user directory is the actual "Documents" folder (directory).
Old 02-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks GZ
Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

So, were you able to enable encryption on your documents folder?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:59 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Hi GZ

I created a new folder in documents. The encryption bit is also greyed out.

I've still to read some of the links sent by joeten, so maybe there's a solution contained therein.

T
Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

The second link above begins with a step to search for "encryption" and continues from there.

This search yields no results.

T
Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You need to read how to turn on encryption a little further down in blue those are to be clicked on for further info

How do I turn on device encryption?

You need to sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account with administrator permissions to use device encryption. For more info about administrator permissions, see Standard accounts versus administrator accounts. If you didn't sign in with a Microsoft account, or if you don't have a Microsoft account and want to get one, follow these steps.
To sign in with a Microsoft account

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click Accounts, and then tap or click Switch to a Microsoft account.

If you're using a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows RT 8.1, device encryption is turned on automatically when you sign in. Windows helps protect data on your PC and automatically uploads a recovery key to your Microsoft account online. This recovery key lets you sign in to your PC if you've been locked out.

However, if you've upgraded to Windows RT 8.1 from a previous version of Windows, you'll need to turn on device encryption manually.
To turn on device encryption manually

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, then click Search.)

In the Search box, enter encryption.

Tap or click Change device encryption settings and follow the instructions.

When would I need to use a recovery key?
How do I back up my recovery key?
How do I view my device encryption settings?
How do I turn device encryption off?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks joeten,

I am logging on as administrator and via my Microsoft account.

A search for "encryption" returns no result.

Attached is a document showing the difference between the instructions from your earlier link and my pc.

I'm wondering is it hardware related. Also attached is the hardware section from the same link, but I've no idea how I can check these hardware elements.

T
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PC Info.pdf (167.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: pdf Hardware.pdf (113.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #19
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

We might be chasing something which is supposed to be on straight out the box, but from what I can find upgrades needed to turn it on, but finding a simple method is proving a challenge leave it with me and I will look further.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for sticking with this joeten.

Much appreciated.

T
Closed Thread