Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 8, 8.1 Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Acer laptop with Win 8.1 will not configure updates

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Acer laptop with Win 8.1 will not configure updates within the Windows 8, 8.1 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Brand new laptop started having a problem with updates. Downloads vast numbers of them, then gets to 8% of configuring,

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Brand new laptop started having a problem with updates. Downloads vast numbers of them, then gets to 8% of configuring, restarts, tries to resume configuring and then gives an error message that it can't configure and is undoing changes.

I have reinstalled (reset) Windows, but still have the problem.

I can still send it back for a hardware repair, but suspect it might be software?

Could someone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

Have you tried deselecting all the updates and then manually selecting only a few - for example, say 5 or 10 at a time?

I have seen Windows get confused when it has many updates to install. Installing them in smaller blocks often resolves the issue. But it needs lots of patience because you have to go through the Restart process for every block.

As you have described the problem it is unlikely that it is a hardware issue.

Viz
Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Vizuliz. I tried downloading half a dozen manually and it just stuck on updates downloading. I then tried a little update file on its own - about 3mb. Same thing happened.
Appreciate advice about hardware. Am loathe to send it back and like Acers, but this one's been trouble from go so I suspect it's Win 8.1 that's the culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hi. What's the make and model of the laptop? Has Windows Update been working before this problem began, or did it never work from the start? We may have more details about the problem in the event logs, so kindly export your logs, compress them and attach in your next reply so that we can have a look at them.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

For the moment perhaps you could put the update issue aside and just see how the computer works and run some tests.

Suggest that you avoid the Internet as much as is practical, because there will be many security updates among the uninstalled updates.

Acer have a hardware test utility. It may come preinstalled or you may have to download it from the Acer website. Run the test two to three times to make sure that the hardware is OK. In Windows Control Panel, under Administrative Tools you will find a Memory Diagnostic Test. Run that as another check. You could also run from an Elevated Command Prompt the chkdsk with the /r switch to ensure that the disk is OK.

After that just play around with some programs that are preinstalled, such as Paint, Steps Recorder, Task Manager, Control Panel....

If the hardware tests are all good (and I suspect that they will be) and the programs run as you expect them to then we can be certain that it is a Windows issue.

Viz
Old 06-23-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks both. The updates have now decided to try installing themselves while I was using the computer, rather than when I restart. I'll try what you have suggested when the control panel becomes available again and let you know...
Many thanks again...
Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok, so after three hours of downloading updates manually, the thing shut down, spent half an hour restarting and has now booted up. I said there was 1 update to download. I refreshed the updates box and see there are 117 so obviously the updates didn't configure. Could someone explain how to create/find the log?
I have got into event viewer but don't know what I'm looking for..
Old 06-24-2015, 03:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

Ok. Little update for you. I used the memory check utility. No problems there. Then I just downloaded the update at the top of my list and restarted. Then I downloaded a few more without a hitch. Now I'm working down the list in batches of 12 installing and restarting. Maybe it was clogged with updates (technical term). Thanks for all your kind help and suggestions.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi,

Just a thought but are you downloading the updates through a wireless connection?

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersadie View Post
.... Now I'm working down the list in batches of 12 installing and restarting..... .
Chopin playing softly in the background will keep you sane through this process....

Viz
Old 06-25-2015, 02:03 AM   #11
Registered Member

Ha! I do listen to him as it happens. I also find Vivaldi helpful, but not necessarily Four Seasons.
Yes, Dave, it is a wireless connection...thoughts?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #12

My System

Quote:
Yes, Dave, it is a wireless connection...thoughts?
Yes, of course it would be better wired. Do you have that option?

Submit New Articles Here

Old 06-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Registered Member

All sorted now and up to date but for the future...sure I have an ethernet cable somewhere. However, thought that would only affect downloads not configuration. But what do I know?! :)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

My System

Quote:
thought that would only affect downloads not configuration.
Of course, apologies for not realising that.

Glad its sorted anyhow!

Could you mark it solved please, Thread Tools at top of page?

Submit New Articles Here

Old 06-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
All sorted now and up to date but for the future... :)
And you have retained your sanity and sense of humour..... I have got to listen to more Vivaldi methinks... :-)

Viz
Closed Thread