Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 8, 8.1 Support

User Tag List

Questions About Drivers and Admin Rights

This is a discussion on Questions About Drivers and Admin Rights within the Windows 8, 8.1 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a very clever young son who knows how to get around our web-filter. It took me a bit

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a very clever young son who knows how to get around our web-filter. It took me a bit of work to find out how he does this, basically he goes into the control panel and disables the virtual driver associated with the filter and reboots. This essentially puts the program "to sleep" for his viewing pleasure and then when he's finished he simply reactivates the driver and reboots once more. Not only does this enable him to bypass the filter, but effectively "hybernates" the log files and web tracking files preventing them from logging any information during this period of use.

Now normally I would simply just set up a separate non-administrative account for him, that should solve the problem of him being able to access system files like that. However the programs and software he needs for school require admin privs and his father and I both work so we can't be around to supervise him all the time.

I guess my question here is: is there a way I can prevent him from disabling this driver, or from accessing system files on his account, without removing administrative rights?

Any suggestions are welcome... I'm at my wits end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

My recommendation is to perhaps look at some third party software that will not allow him to disable the filter unless he has the password.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

What web-filtering software are you using? And on top of my head, if you have a Windows 8/8.1 edition that supports the Local Group Policy Editor, you could simply configure a GPO on his account that would disable the access to the Device Manager. It can be done via the Registry too I imagine. If you don't have Windows 8/8.1 Professional or Entreprise, you won't be able to use the Local Group Policy Editor (well at least, the built-in one but you can download a third-party one), so you would have to go with the Registry way. The following tutorial explains how to go about it using the Group Policy Editor.

Device Manager MMC Snap-in - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Ultimately any attempt to restrict what an admin level account can do must rely on the ignorance of the user. In this case that would appear to be a problem. All admin level accounts are equal. Any restrictions set in place by one admin user can be removed by another. It is just a matter of knowing how to do it.

Web filtering external to the computer would be the most effective option.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Web filtering external to the computer would be the most effective option.
Like using a modem or router web filter features. Since you have to login as an Admin in order to manage these, the password can easily be changed and kept secret so no one can access it. Good idea. Now this opens the door for a lot of possibilities, like configuring the OpenDNS servers on the router and use your account with your web filtering rules.

Protect Your Kids Online Using Open DNS
Closed Thread