Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 8, 8.1 Support

User Tag List

Need to factory restore Lenovo ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14"?

This is a discussion on Need to factory restore Lenovo ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14"? within the Windows 8, 8.1 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Everyone, I just received my new Lenovo ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14" UltraBook ( ThinkPad Yoga 14" | Laptop Tablet

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I just received my new Lenovo ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14" UltraBook (ThinkPad Yoga 14" | Laptop Tablet Hybrid | Lenovo Australia).

I do not want to start using my new laptop until I update to Windows 10. I am aware that in order to update I need to click on the 'Windows Icon Button' in the taskbar, at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. From here I am supposed to enter my email address...

However here is the challenge, after installing all available Windows Updates, said button has DISAPPEARED!

I have downloaded and run the win10fix_full.zip file as suggested at CNET (How to get the Windows 10 upgrade icon if it's missing - CNET).

After trying all of the fixes all I can say is that one 'fix' managed to crash my new computer to the point of requiring an immediate shutdown and a memory dump!

I am now thinking that the best course of action may be to return my new laptop to factory default settings.

Can anybody suggest how I can go about returning this unit to factory default settings? I don't just want to erase files, preferences, etc., instead I want to return Windows 8.1 to it's factory issued state.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Can you boot to Safe Mode? If so, you can refresh Windows 8 which should keep files, but reset settings and such.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

In an attempt to fix this I first followed the 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows' instructions at the link below -

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - Windows Help

The above procedure did indeed restore my computer to the original Factory defaults.

However unfortunately when I booted up, entered my initial details, and got to the Desktop the 'Upgrade to Windows 10 button' was still missing.

My next port of call was to install all Windows updates, about 750 Megabytes, which I did. Then after several reboots, related to the updates, I once more returned to the Desktop only to find the button missing again!

I have now downloaded the Windows 10 iso from the link below, and will post back with my progress -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Kind Regards,

Davo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I have succeeded in updating my new Lenovo to Windows 10.

Here is how I went about it...

1). Downloaded the appropriate 'Download Tool' from the last link in my last post.
2). Ran the tool, which created an ISO (I chose to place the ISO on a flash drive)
3). Followed the instructions provided at the link below -

How to: perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file - Microsoft Community

I was a little alarmed when I saw the message 'Make sure that you have the product key when your ready to install'.

I didn't want to take any chances here so I downloaded Balarc Advisor (Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more.).

Balarc showed me my Windows 8.1 Professional license details. I saved, and printed these just in case...but as it turns out they were not required. You may want to take this step just to be certain that your covering your bases.

I believe that the Windows key is actually embedded in the BIOS and therefore I did not need to enter any key details when performing the upgrade.

I chose not to keep any previous settings, because I have only just received this new laptop and everything went smoothly. The upgrade took about 30 minutes on my i7 with a SSD.

Kind Regards,

Davo
Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Glad to hear you're all set up! Enjoy!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Registered Member