Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 8, 8.1 Support

User Tag List

Dns Flush Help?

This is a discussion on Dns Flush Help? within the Windows 8, 8.1 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys so last night my internet randomly disconnected and stayed off for like 4 hours so i was eh

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys so last night my internet randomly disconnected and stayed off for like 4 hours so i was eh weird so today it was back up and i tried my teamspeak server and it said failed to connect to host so i tried others still didnt work.
so long story short i cant play on any game servers and i realized my brother dns cache flushed our internet im not entirely sure what that does and i dont know how to fix it and be able to get back on servers etc
any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have you tried rebooting any modems and routers you have? Modem first then router.

I am not sure what you are trying to say about the DNS cache flush?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

my brother in cmd type the command dns cache flush and it did something now where i cant connect to any servers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Sounds like parental controls are in force and you are trying to bypass them. My guess is those game servers have been blocked intentionally on the router by someone of authority. We can't help with bypassing set measures.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Whenever you type a URL on the address bar it fetches the corresponding IP address to communicate with web server. When you repeatedly use the same URL your computer stores the combinations of domain name and its IP in local cache to avoid fetching from Domain Name Server(DNS) everytime you use same domain name(URL).
It also holds another crucial info called "Timeout" which says about the valid time for the IP and domain name combination, when this time times out your computer re-fetches the combination from DNS and stores in local cache again.
DNS flushing is the mechanism where the computer user removes the stored DNS settings, so when you go to a web site, your computer re-fetches new combinations of DNS settings in local cache.
This shouldn't affect you logging on to a game server, except you may need to re-authorize your user account (login again with user name and password)
Closed Thread