Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 8, 8.1 Support

User Tag List

Cannot find certain programs in the modern UI

This is a discussion on Cannot find certain programs in the modern UI within the Windows 8, 8.1 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I search for certain programs in the modern UI they don't come up, they don't even come up when

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

When I search for certain programs in the modern UI they don't come up, they don't even come up when I go on all apps. The only one I can open them is by going into C:\Program Files (x86) and finding the program in there. Can someone please help me? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

I know this isn't really helping but in some cases, they won't show up at all. I've been using Windows 8 on my laptops in beta form, RTM for over a year now and the sad truth is the modern UI is broken.
Example is I usually install SQL 2012 first, then VS 2010. There is no amount of searching display the results. In this example, SQL 2012 uses VS 2010 as a shell. Many things do. In order to open it up, I would have to search for SQL Server Data Tools in order to open up VS because doesn't that just sounds like visual studio?
Silly isn't it.
Do yourself a favor and install a start button
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

What start button would you recommend? There's too many to choose from. ._.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

So far my favorite is Start 8 from Stardock Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu Yeah, it cost $5 but it does allow me to skip what use to be called metro on startup and has some nice features. I have tried quite a few of them and this one is just the one I prefer.
Closed Thread