Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

Turn off and block Update Center (Sony Xperia)

This is a discussion on Turn off and block Update Center (Sony Xperia) within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I keep getting pestered by Sony Xperia e4m Update Center, so I want to turn it off or block

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Hi,
I keep getting pestered by Sony Xperia e4m Update Center, so I want to turn it off or block it somehow

I managed to find a firewall app which blocks it out but this app drains battery instead.

I keep setting Update Center to NON-automatic updates, but for some reason it sets itself back to update by WiFi. So whenever I have forgotten to turn the firewall on, I get a message that my Updates are ready to install, finding out it have been downloading updates for several minutes without my knowledge or approvement!

Often these messages appear in the middle of nowhere, when using the phone. When doing calls or watching videos it interrupts and ruins everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Hi,
I have several apps running draining both battery and memory of my phone. And Update Center have automatically installed new built in apps I cannot remove, which I did not even ask for or even use. They are just there draining my phone.

I dont want to jailbreak my phone, and as stated in another post, I have been using a firewall but it drains the phone as well.

I know it is possible to disable the app but whenever restarting the phone the apps appear again in business. So doing this everytime is time consuming and annoying.

Please help!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

what phone???? what android version??? you can try going to your settings - application manager - scroll down to the app, click on it and see if you can disable it there
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

see if there is a notification setting for it and turn it off. might be in the application manager
Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Try looking in the manual page 31 and also 102 there is also info on battery usage https://www-support-downloads.sonymob...droid4.4.4.pdf

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Android 4.4.4, Phone Sony Xperia E2003
Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

I have already set it to disabled but it keeps starting again as soon as I got a wifi connection. Then it auto updates and download updates.

About battery, I have already set to saving stamina mode, and if I use ultra saving I cant use the apps I want so no help there.

The screen is set to low when possible. There are apps in the memory running that I cant remove or disable fully which drains battery.

I never asked for these apps and I want them gone or I would have to root my phone...
Old 11-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Within Android, you are allowed to Turn off or Disable preinstalled applications; as long as they are not Android Core items.

See here:

[GUIDE] How to Disable Apps - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Threads merged, no need for 2 threads dealing with the same issue.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #10

Yes I disabled a lot apps, but I d rather have them removed.

For Update center it cant be disabled it seems so I need help to block it from using up my bandwidth all the time...
Old 11-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Try the last post here for a suggestion turn off application updates - Support forum

Old 11-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #12
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by nejmeg View Post
Yes I disabled a lot apps, but I d rather have them removed.

For Update center it cant be disabled it seems so I need help to block it from using up my bandwidth all the time...
You cannot remove a preinstalled application on Android, the system does not allow you to do so. The disabling the application does uninstall all of its updates and puts it to sleep.

If you want them to permanently be removed, then you would have to root the phone.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
You cannot remove a preinstalled application on Android, the system does not allow you to do so. The disabling the application does uninstall all of its updates and puts it to sleep.

If you want them to permanently be removed, then you would have to root the phone.
Well, I don't like the way Apps that cant even be removed or deactivated keep connecting to the internet and steals bandwidth whenever I open up a connection through WiFi or cellular connection.

Since there is no way for me to block it I had to get a FIREWALL app. However this app is draining battery instead.

So however I do it does not work.

Yesterday I had this "What's Up" app suddenly popping up when I had not turned on the Firewall App. I can't find anyway to block, turn off or anything to this "What's Up" app.

If I put the phone in extreme battery saving mode (forgot the proper name) and then return to normal mode all disabled apps become undisabled and start running again like I never did anything meaning the Update Center is set to auto update again and so on.

-------------

I don't know why you blame me for putting up two different threads and then merging them since they are different issues.

One about the Update center I can't block.

And one about the Battery issue.

Even though they were merged the thread now looks very odd and the discussion about Battery was lost it seems so I again don't know why you had to merge it....

I am sorry if I sound a bit frustrated but I am rather annoyed about this phone can't be controlled the way I want it to. Yes, I know it is easy to just throw it away and buy another phone but where do I find one that does not steal battery or bandwidth updating itself, downloading new apps I do not want and so on...
Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 AM   #14
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The battery issue is most likely connected to the apps

Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #15
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I said above, they you can in fact disable applications and it will stop all of their processes.
Closed Thread