Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

New To Android Smart Phones Storage Problem

This is a discussion on New To Android Smart Phones Storage Problem within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello again .... Well sir .... I just purchase this phone and this mircoSD card. I'm trying to install apps,

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Cry

Hello again .... Well sir .... I just purchase this phone and this mircoSD card. I'm trying to install apps, but I can because the phone wants to install on the internal storage which is only 100mb. It running a Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. I tried going into the phone settings under app manager and tried to move the apps to the SD card, but the option is grayed out. I went into the storage section and I have the dot checked for SD card. The phone does see the SD card it shows up in the information. So anyone know why the phone just wants to install the apps on the internal storage? How do I get it to store the apps on the SD card???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, the last post here has a suggestion you might try 4.2 jelly bean - Installing Apps on External Sdcard jellybean 4.2.2 - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Not all apps can be moved, and I think the phone needs to be rooted. Try the instructions here: Moving Your ‘Non-Movable’ Android Apps to an SD Card – Techgage
Quote:
It needs to be stressed that even if an app (or game) can be moved, there are potential risks for going through with it. Here are some general guidelines of what not to move:

Apps That Shouldn’t Ever Be Moved
  • Widgets: If you want to use a certain widget, don’t move the app that provides it.
  • System Tools: Important tools might not operate well or at all on external storage.
  • Important Apps: If you can’t afford a certain app becoming unavailable, don’t move it.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Question

Okay ... I was given this link at another site and I followed all the instructions but now I am stuck here ... "Launch a Command Prompt window in this folder by pressing and holding the Shift button, right-clicking in the folder, and selecting Open command window here." ...
The menu won't show ... I just get the standard menu whether I hold the shift key or not. I have a wireless keyboard and tried holding the function key and the shift key but that didn't work either. I tried using the command prompt through accessories, but when I type in the path ... not the one the author used ... "The system cannot find the path specified" and I know it's the right path. Can anyone help me get past this stage. I'm running win7 64 ....

Update ... okay ... I found out what I was doing wrong ... I was clicking on the file instead of the folder ...
Old 11-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Cry

Well sir ... this is where I am at so far. I got a link from another website to help me move apps to the SD card. I followed the instructions, but now I am stuck at the point where you give the command "adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2". I typed it in and I get this .... "Error: unknown command 'setInstallLocation' ... then I get a long list of data ... anyone have any idea how to correct this????
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Look at the info in the link koala provided you.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Question

I did look at the link, but I didn't see anything that could help me unless I'm missing something.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

That links info also tells you if the change worked, and has the commands so it might be worth double checking the commands.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Your phone has Android 4.2.2 installed.

The command you entered is for earlier versions.

Instead of adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2, you should be using adb shell pm set-install-location 2.

This process can be risky, so be very careful following the instructions.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 11-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Question

Well sir that command did work ... I got no errors ... it went back to the original prompt like in the example at the web site ... the problem is it didn't allow me to move apps to the SD card ... the option is still grayed out ... any ideas what I could have done wrong.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Question

Well alright then! The apps are now installing on the SD card even though the option are grayed out on the apps on the internal storage new apps are going to the SD card. And I made a discovery ... the app that I wanted that started all this ...STILL won't install ... it is STILL tell me insufficient storage ... it is the app called "hangouts" and it is only 25mb and I have 43mb on the internal storage so something must be up with that particular apps. Any ideas what is going on with that? Same with the Weather Channel and Accuweather apps ...
Old 11-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Keep in mind some apps won't install to sd as was mentioned earlier.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Mistake

Hilly Ho!!! Okay ... this is where I am so far ... I got Link2SD installed but I am getting a "Mount script cannot be created. mount: Invalid argument." So I read that in order to solve that problem I have to unlock the bootloader. I had to use the SDK program to do it, but when I type in the command "fastboot ome unlock" I get an error message ... " 'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file."

But what really bothers me is when I do the adb devices command I get "'adb' is not recognized ...." Before it would list the device. I had to uninstall the java I had to have in order for the SDK to work in order to install the lastest java update ... I was getting an error while installing java ... but I reinstalled it after the java update and the SDK. Can anyone help me over this hurdle?
So does anyone know what the correct language is for my JellyBean 4.2.2 OS??

H A P P Y H O L I D A Y S !
Closed Thread