Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

Is this a legitimate virus warning message

This is a discussion on Is this a legitimate virus warning message within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here it is. I just shut my phone off, rather than saying ok, because I wasn't sure if it was

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Here it is. I just shut my phone off, rather than saying ok, because I wasn't sure if it was a genuine warning, or some kind of phishing scam, wanting me to hit it so it would download something.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 phone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you have an AV that you've downloaded from a real Google Play site, run it. The same .apk files that bring you Android apps can also bring malware. I have no idea if our Malware people offer help for phones.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

I often see these kinds of popups on my phone. I just bring up the menu and select New Window. That gets rid of it.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
I often see these kinds of popups on my phone. I just bring up the menu and select New Window. That gets rid of it.
I take it you don't think it means I have a virus. I generally don't trust stuff thrown in my face about viruses, unless I installed the program myself, knowingly.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Definitely don't hit INSTALL.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

I was just doing some research on the need of an AV for an android phone. What I found out is that 99.9% of the time those popups are just scare tactics to get you to buy their software and that infact you're not infected.

I also found an article from that the head security engineer of Android that states that there is no need for a AV on a mobile device.
https://www.androidpit.com/is-antivi...ry-for-android

Personally, I installed Malwarebytes for mobile on my android device.

As any device, as always the best virus protection is safe surfing habits.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
I was just doing some research on the need of an AV for an android phone. What I found out is that 99.9% of the time those popups are just scare tactics to get you to buy their software and that infact you're not infected.

I also found an article from that the head security engineer of Android that states that there is no need for a AV on a mobile device.
https://www.androidpit.com/is-antivi...ry-for-android

Personally, I installed Malwarebytes for mobile on my android device.

As any device, as always the best virus protection is safe surfing habits.
That used to be the case for desktop and laptop PC's. I was told in 1995 I couldn't get a virus by simply surfing the web, which may have been true then, but not now with drive by downloads.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC person View Post
That used to be the case for desktop and laptop PC's. I was told in 1995 I couldn't get a virus by simply surfing the web, which may have been true then, but not now with drive by downloads.
My reply was for the android OS and android alone....it had nothing to do with PC's.

I've never heard of "drive by downloads". Please explain. Although the phrase is very funny in and of itself...I chuckled hard and spit my coffee out. I think you just may have coined a new PC phrase.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

This may be what is meant https://blogs.sophos.com/2014/03/26/...k-infographic/

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
My reply was for the android OS and android alone....it had nothing to do with PC's.

I've never heard of "drive by downloads". Please explain. Although the phrase is very funny in and of itself...I chuckled hard and spit my coffee out. I think you just may have coined a new PC phrase.
No, I have not

https://securingtomorrow.mcafee.com/...e-by-download/

But don't feel bad :) I never heard of the Pope(the position itself, not who the pope currently was) until the 1992 Sinead O"Connor incident when I was 14, seriously!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member

It's not, just close the tab and don't worry about it, clicking the link will usually just take you to the play store link and download their anti virus program
Closed Thread