Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

Galaxy S5 Active home button.

This is a discussion on Galaxy S5 Active home button. within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, a few months back I got a notification for an update on my Galaxy S5. (took me to 4.4.4)

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to AlienVibes

Hello, a few months back I got a notification for an update on my Galaxy S5. (took me to 4.4.4) Ever since then I've had the issue where almost every time I press the home button it now goes straight to Google. Which, it's supposed to when I long press it. but, I'm short pressing it. I tried several factory data resets. It never worked. I tried updating to 5.0 Lolipop, I can't update. I contacted Samsung, they told me to try Samsung Kies, or take it to best buy and have them update it. Well, I tried Samsung Kies, and it said no update available. I don't wanna go to a bestbuy to get told the same thing, or fight with social anxiety to even make it up there. I've looked on many other forums for a fix for this problem. So far, I've found that it's only on the active after AT&T pushed the 4.4.4 update. Except, I'm running it on Cricket. The thing closest to a "Fix" I've been able to find is an app called "Swipeup Utility" . Which, the app does work. It makes it so whenever I press my home button it goes home. But, theres a second of lag from the time it'd take to complete a long press and go to google. Which, of course gets highly annoying. And then because of the app my phone has become VERY slow. Taking several seconds to load anything, close anything. Just do anything in general and it's frustrating to the point of beating the phone with a hammer.. Does anyone know of an ACTUAL fix to this? I know rooting is probably the best thing, Which I've considered it. But, I don't know how to root a phone. I looked some stuff up earlier, can't find anything specifically for the Active, and am actually really nervous about rooting it anyways because I don't want to mess my phone up to the point I can't use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Cricket Wireless is just a subsidiary to AT&T, so you have the same service and update package as all other AT&T phones.

Have you thought about just turning off Google Now? Then it will disable it from the home button.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

I've tried that. But, then after a while it'd turn its self back on. It's also irritating because I use the google app often. It's quicker than opening Chrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Try following this here:

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-clear-galaxy-s5-cache
Old 11-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

That seemed to have worked. At least for now. If in the next few days I have the problem again I'll come back. Or just clear the cache again. It's also MUCH faster. Just like brand new again. Thank you.
Closed Thread