Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

Cannot access PC

This is a discussion on Cannot access PC within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Since the latest Android update, I can no longer connect to my PC. I've checked that I have Media Transfer

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

Since the latest Android update, I can no longer connect to my PC. I've checked that I have Media Transfer Protocol set. Any suggestions?

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Is the phone detected by the PC in ANY of its USB connection modes? Try switching from one mode to another and cycle through each one of them and see if the PC responds to those different modes accordingly. Does the PC make the device connected tone when you plug in the phone or change the mode? Is the phone listed in Device Manager? Are there any yellow-marked devices in Device Manager?
Old 02-26-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Is the phone detected by the PC in ANY of its USB connection modes? No. It worked fine up until the last Android update.Try switching from one mode to another and cycle through each one of them and see if the PC responds to those different modes accordingly. No joy. Does the PC make the device connected tone when you plug in the phone or change the mode? No. Is the phone listed in Device Manager? No. Are there any yellow-marked devices in Device Manager? No.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Does it at least charge when plugged into the pc? If not, we could be looking at hardware failure. If it does charge, reboot into fastboot or bootloader and see if it gets detected in that mode. If it gets detected, then hardware is okay and it's just a software problem. You can try reflashing the system image. If that doesn't work, you can try flashing the previous system image and disable automatic updates until the bug is fixed in a new update.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Yes, it charges OK. When you say reboot do you mean the PC or phone? I've downloaded the platform tools and run fastboot.exe but nothing happens.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnthePilot View Post
Yes, it charges OK. When you say reboot do you mean the PC or phone? I've downloaded the platform tools and run fastboot.exe but nothing happens.
Reboot the phone. Running fastboot won't do anything because the phone is not detected by the pc. To reboot the phone into fastboot/bootloader mode using its physical buttons, many androids use Volume Down + Power, press and hold the volume down button and without releasing it, press the power button until the phone turns on. Release the power button but continue holding the volume down button to put the phone into fastboot mode sometimes called download mode. While in this mode, connect it to the PC and see if it is detected. If the connection problem is a bug in the updated firmware, then it should not affect the phone while in bootloader mode. However, if the problem persists while in bootloader mode also, then you could be using a faulty cable or the charging/USB module in the phone is defective and needs to be replaced.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

No, that didn't work. I know the cable and USB port are OK.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
No, that didn't work. I know the cable and USB port are OK.
If the port is working, then it should be detected by the pc in bootloader mode. Try connecting it to a different pc.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

I've just tried it on a friend's laptop and it works fine.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I've just tried it on a friend's laptop and it works fine.
Fantastic! This rules out the phone/android updates as the culprit. Open Device Manager and take its screenshot then post it here. Connect the phone, set it to MTP and post another screenshot of Device Manager.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #11
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Here are before and after screenshots. I can't see any difference. The one with the exclamation mark is to do with my VPN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	323052   Click image for larger version

Name:	device2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	323054  

Old 02-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Here are before and after screenshots. I can't see any difference. The one with the exclamation mark is to do with my VPN.
Now try plugging it into different ports. If none of them detects it, download Device Cleanup from here Download Device Cleanup Tool - MajorGeeks and run it as administrator. It will show a list of non-present devices which are usually hidden in Device Manager and can cause such problems. On that list you should see your phone. If you're not sure which one it is, post a screenshot and I'll tell you which one(s) to remove. Click the header of the Class column to sort them by type/class. After removing it, reboot PC and then try connecting the phone.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #13
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

I'm getting a 404 on that link, but I managed to find it through Google.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:41 AM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I'm getting a 404 on that link.
I wonder why. Link works fine for me. Try this one https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/get/de...up_tool,1.html
Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 AM   #15
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

As I said, I found it through Google.

I've deleted the relevant items and rebooted, but still no joy.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:33 AM   #16
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
As I said, I found it through Google.

I've deleted the relevant items and rebooted, but still no joy.
You must have edited the reply after I had already seen it. See the quote in my previous reply? Anyway, Open Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus section and uninstall each of the controllers listed and then reboot. If you're using a USB keyboard and mouse, they will most likely stop working as soon as you uninstall the controller that they are connected to, in which case it will be impossible to continue uninstalling any remaining controllers via mouse clicks or keyboard presses. If or when that happens, just press the power button to shutdown the PC and then turn it back on. The controllers will be detected and reinstalled at startup and your keyboard and mouse should resume working and hopefully the phone as well.

Note
Make sure you don't have any unsaved work that may get lost before you start uninstalling the controllers. It's also best to quit all other open programs to make sure nothing prevents the system from shutting down. Also, make sure the power button is set to shutdown the PC and disable fast-startup for the purposes of troubleshooting this issue.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #17
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

You must have responded very quickly.

I'm now going to try your suggestion.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #18
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

I tried that three times with no joy. The MTP driver had an exclamation mark next to it. When I tried to update the driver it said it couldn't find one. I tried again to reconnect my phone and lo, and behold, it's connected. Thanks for your help and perseverance.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I tried that three times with no joy. The MTP driver had an exclamation mark next to it. When I tried to update the driver it said it couldn't find one. I tried again to reconnect my phone and lo, and behold, it's connected. Thanks for your help and perseverance.
Glad I could help. Cheers
JohnthePilot likes this.
Closed Thread