Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Smart Devices > Android OS

User Tag List

best anti-virus/anti-malware for Kindle Fire

This is a discussion on best anti-virus/anti-malware for Kindle Fire within the Android OS forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a new kindle fire and was wondering about the best anti-malware (free) program for it. I'd appreciate any

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:03 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I have a new kindle fire and was wondering about the best anti-malware (free) program for it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Quote from Do I Need an Antivirus for My Kindle? | Chron.com
Quote:
The Kindle Fire is vulnerable on two accounts: it connects to the Internet and it runs a modified Android operating system.

When it comes to installing applications on your Kindle Fire, your best bet is the Amazon Appstore, which is built with your tablet in mind. The Amazon Appstore offers several anti-virus programs for free.
Amazon.com: avast! Mobile Security: Appstore for Android

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 01-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thank you - koala!

When I checked I was only finding Norton and McAfee. I know with windows in the past they were difficult to uninstall, had problems, and weren't free.

I know not to download apps from anything but the official apps store that's on the device.

Also, I'm a senior citizen with early vision problems (sometimes worse than others) and another site impaired person suggested the kindle fire for when I can't read any longer.

I really don't plan to use much more than to read ebooks and documents (sent to my kindle account) on it. I have a desktop for most things I want to check on the internet. It was just much cheaper than the kindle ereaders (got the fire, cover, and extended warranty for less than a basic reader). The most on the internet I can see doing is looking at help and downloading books from Amazon from the library or free ebooks from Amazon. Maybe going to the library website to check out ebooks. Eventually, probably audio books or use of audio functions to read books to me. I truly just needed an inexpensive ereader as my old basic kindle is iffy about working at times and also if can't read will need some audio version of reader.

I plan on running it mostly with wifi off and in airplane mode - so don't download things by mistake and conserve on the battery.

Still, even if just using as an ereader, want to be protected.

Any other suggestions to protect it would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I tried a simple search on the UK app store and got this https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...dle+fire&ajr=2

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

You probably won't need much protection for the Kindle if you're just dowloading books and audio from the internet. A good antivirus like avast will keep you protected. Just be careful which sites you download from.

You could add a website reputation advisor to your browser as an extra layer of protection. This will display a green icon for safe sites, an amber icon for suspicious sites, and a red one for sites that should be avoided. It runs in the background and doesn't need any configuring or interaction after the initial setup.

Examples:
Avast Online Security (Chrome addon)
WOT (Web Of Trust addon for Firefox)
TapAndTrust (WOT for mobile devices)

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Thank you everyone!
Closed Thread